What is 30 mins at gym like for you?

Options
I just started at the gym again and my aim is minimum 30 mins spent there every second day.

I want to know what your routine is when you are there?

I need a few ideas on what I can do...My goal is to lose weight.

Replies

• johnglenn1973
    Options
    If I know I'm there for only 30 minutes I go from 0-60 in a mattter of seconds, by either getting on a spin bike and doing sprints or getting on the elliptical and going as fast as I can at 50% resistance. That gets my blood pumping. If I feel that I need to get some strength training in I'll do that for 15 minutes then spend then next 15 minutes circuit training on the resistance machines with little rest.

If you're just starting out I recommend that you take it slow and build up the cardio and muscle endurance (yes, I know that seems redundant :)).

Good luck and have fun!

FYI, I'm no expert when it comes to exercise but this seems to work for me :)
  • JillianLH
    JillianLH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Try taking advantages of the classes at your gym. It will force you to try harder and work out longer! I reccomend spin, zumba, or just an all around interval training class!
  • thaze90
    thaze90 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    If I'm trying to lose weight, I'm hopping on the elliptical right away and staying on it the whole 30 minutes. I go hard as I can on a very high resistance level.
  • skparker2
    skparker2 Posts: 132
    Options
    If I'm trying to lose weight, I'm hopping on the elliptical right away and staying on it the whole 30 minutes. I go hard as I can on a very high resistance level.

I agree with Thaze. The elliptical could soon be your best friend. I average 10 calories a minute so I can easily earn some wiggle room for dinner on the nights I go to the gym. Depending on the day, here's an average workout.

10-15 on the bike (if available)
    35 on the elliptical (changing the resistance often to up the intensity; also switching it up by pedaling backwards)
    Remaining time using weight machines.

I used to barely tolerate 20-30 minutes and I now often stay an hour and a half or up to 2 hours.
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    I tend to do a mixture of things, I usually like to do cardio for 15-20 minutes, the rowing machine on max resistance eally gets my heart rate up quickly, and then i'll either do elliptical or bike or a bit of both. Then I like to do some quick weights/floor work, usually some planks, crunches, deadlifts, squats, etc :)
  • meandmyface
    meandmyface Posts: 328
    Options
    skparker2, i thought I was the only one who went backwards on the elliptical sometimes haha! I once had someone come up to me and try to politely inform me I was doing it wrong lol.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    I go for 45 minutes most days. I spend 30 minutes on cardio and 15 minutes on strength. I go 5 days a week, M-F. I alternate between C25K and elliptical for cardio and upper and lower body for strength.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Cardio day: run on treadmill, hills or intervals
    Strength day: weights with a short treadmill warmup and cooldown
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    30 minutes- squats, overhead press, deadlifts, all with a barbell and heavy weight. You might not lose scale weight but you will look GOOD. :drinker:

If I have more time, I do planks and some crunches, and then 15-20 minutes of cardio such as elliptical or running intervals on the treadmill.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    20 minutes of strength training and 10 minutes on modality and stretches/cool down.

For the lifting I aim for 8-10 reps and 3 sets of each exercise.
    I only rest about 15-30 seconds between sets.
    I do at least 2, if not 3 exercise per muscle gropu I am working, and I start with larger groups to isolated muscles.

That is all after 35 minutes of lower body and core interval cardio and strength training on the track.
  • Lift_This_
    Lift_This_ Posts: 2,756 Member
    Options
    30 minutes for me is warming up and stretching...then i spend 60-90 minutes lifting, taking a bootcamp class and running. i do that 5-6 days a week.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    **** I think I spend 30 minutes total deloading and reloading the bar and resting between my sets. (I lift alone in my garage).
  • Paleo_wolf
    Paleo_wolf Posts: 28
    Options
    Muscle train!! Lift weights and I'd say do if for the entire time your there :p
    My schedule:
    Mon, we'd, fri-muscle days
    Tues,thurs, sat-cardio
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    It's like a living hell. (especially if I don't take my music earbuds.)
  • TriThreat
    TriThreat Posts: 313
    Options
    30 mins is my "mini workout", it's how I started, and now I alternate between a full workout (45-50 mins) and the 30 min

20 min - treadmill
    breakdown: first 5 mins - 4.2mph, 3% incline; middle 10 mins - 4.0mph 9% incline; final 5 mins - 4.0mph 3% incline

10 min - abs/arms
    breakdown: 3-5 min ab routine; 3-5 min weightlifting routine

that's my 30 mins :smile:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    If I only had 30 minutes, I'd do a quick dynamic warm-up to loosen up, pick two lifts (deadlifts and chin-ups, for example), do a few warm-up sets and a couple of heavy working sets of each, foam roll, and go home.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    First off congrats on your commitment. That is what is required.
    My 30 mins starts with 2 mins on the elliptical at high level to get heart rate >130bpm.
    Then 1 set of about 10 weight machines. Then same on the elliptical again and another 10 exercise weight set
    different from the first one. In and out in 30. No stopping.
    When traveling, I do this every day. When home, every other day. The days that don't include gym when home include a lot of walking also involved in flailing at a little white ball that never seems to go where one wants it to. Good luck in your journey.
  • MisterDerpington
    MisterDerpington Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    30 mins is my "mini workout", it's how I started, and now I alternate between a full workout (45-50 mins) and the 30 min

20 min - treadmill
    breakdown: first 5 mins - 4.2mph, 3% incline; middle 10 mins - 4.0mph 9% incline; final 5 mins - 4.0mph 3% incline

10 min - abs/arms
    breakdown: 3-5 min ab routine; 3-5 min weightlifting routine

that's my 30 mins :smile:

"That was the pre-warmup, to get you ready for the warmup to get you ready for the pre-workout followed by the workout, which precedes the post-workout. Then we're doing a little 60 minute warmdown."

For the ill-informed. :P http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNf606dfCb0
  • katinachaos
    katinachaos Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I used to do strictly cardio on the bikes until I got my HRM and was able to figure out how I could burn more. Now I do the circuit at Planet Fitness. I get the most burn in the shortest time and I am pushing myself on the machines to lift heavier and heavier and I am noticing a real increase in my strength just doing stuff around the house. And because the circuit is timed in little intervals I can motivate myself more easily to get through each step without phoning it in. When I would do just cardio or just lifting I never seemed to push myself as much...
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    i get my entire lifting session done in 30 minutes (most days). I break up days into body parts so I can accomodate my 30 minute time limit.

a quick warm up stretch beforehand or some quick body weight exercises and then do my either compound lifts or isolation moves. not much rest in between sets which isn't necessarily a good thing--- but it gets me in and out in 30.