Fellow foodies?

Options
vinerie
vinerie Posts: 234 Member
Looking for some fellow foodie-types for friends. I know a lot of people eat protein shakes and other types of 100-calorie snacks, or popcorn for dinner and it works. I am a "foodie" ( I actually hate that term, but I don't know what other term to use), which means for me that I cook a lot, appreciate complex flavors and whole foods and satisfying meals. (This makes logging an arduous task, as I'm constantly inputting recipes and my meals include several parts). Last night I made this wonderful pork/shrimp wonton soup, with my own stock from a roasted chicken I made earlier. Here is the recipe, for anyone who wants to try:

http://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016046-pork-and-shrimp-won-tons

Anyhow, I've hovered around 198-200 for months, and I really want to get past this plateau. (I'm 6-1 inches tall, 37 years old, Female. Shooting for 175-180 pounds as a goal weight). But I also know that I can't (don't want to) do it by eating frozen meals or pre-packaged food, eating a granola bar for dinner, or skipping meals, etc. I am trying to find some like-minded friends, so feel free to add me, so we can peek at each other's diaries and hopefully share some recipes, too!

Replies

• kamber13
    kamber13 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I'm a huge "foodie"... LOL. I'm obsessed with Korean,Thai, Indian, Vietnamese, and Mexican flavors. Most of my recipes have 4-5 different spices at a minimum. I'm also in love with garlic!!!

To lose weight, I've focused on stripping down the high calorie fillers in my recipes like rice, breads, and or pasta and replaced them with vegetables like cabbage, spinach, tomatoes, and onions. This has lowered my meals to around 200 calories without sacrificing the flavor.

With all that said... I completely understand the annoyance of logging in my daily meals. I post a lot of simple recipes in the group Recipe Swap.

It looks like we fall under the similar weight class. I'm 5'6", 181 lbs, and aim for 152 lbs.
  • astralpictures
    astralpictures Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I think almost everyone here is a "foodie," or else we wouldn't be here to lose weight ;-)
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I am a big foodie (literally, but I am getting smaller all the time! ) I love cooking healthy recipes now. I am trying to use my culinary powers for good!

That said, most of my calories came yesterday from eating 2 creme brule. (Isn't that terrible?!) My boyfriend's mother loves my creme brule and requested it and somehow I ended up eating 1 for breakfast as a "test" to make sure they set and the flavor was good, and a second for dinner with my guests.

Tonight I am back on track. Slow cooking some pork with thyme and sage from my garden, shredding that with a mushroom sauce and eating it with some roasted potatoes and crisp kale. Yum!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I love cooking and getting inspired by different recipes and have found that a strength in weight loss, actually, as I enjoy thinking about how to modify recipes and when I start thinking about food it's pretty easy to channel that to thinking about cooking and maybe how to create a flavor combination that is intriguing me. I've always loved reading cook books (I hate cooking from recipes, though), so now I find myself also thinking about what different things I might do to keep the same basic taste or add in more veggies, etc. It's also been a good excuse to really read some of my veggie-focused books, like Greene on Greens.

I find the recipe builder annoying and more often than not log by just jotting down ingredients I use when cooking (while chopping I dump things on the scale). I also largely ignore ingredients like garlic and spices and herbs, as my recipes/logs aren't for use as recipes, but just to get a calorie count. That makes it easier for me.

That said, I have tended to become a pretty simple cook during much of this process, but in thinking about it I always have been when cooking routinely during the week simply due to lack of time. I play around on the weekends.

I'm actually taking a logging break right now, so my diary won't be all that interesting to you for a bit, but I am planning to use this time to get back to experimenting more in the kitchen (or at least will if I can ever get home before 9 pm).
  • sandryc79
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

I find the recipe builder annoying and more often than not log by just jotting down ingredients I use when cooking (while chopping I dump things on the scale). I also largely ignore ingredients like garlic and spices and herbs, as my recipes/logs aren't for use as recipes, but just to get a calorie count. That makes it easier for me.

x2 on the annoying recipe builder. It isn't that user friendly at all. The only thing I miss about weight watchers online is I found their recipe builder much more useful and user-friendly.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

x2 on the annoying recipe builder. It isn't that user friendly at all. The only thing I miss about weight watchers online is I found their recipe builder much more useful and user-friendly.

I cook all the time and I hate the recipe builder -- it's so un-user friendly. I would actually upgrade to premium if they figured out a way to make it work better (like remembering my commonly used ingredients).
  • osz1810
    osz1810 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I love food too , I cook all my meals.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I'v found that being a "foodie" actually makes it easier. My husband & I love to cook and we cook a lot. I've found that a lot of ethnic foods can be pretty healthy if properly done. We are meat eaters but have found a love for vegetarian SE Asian dishes, those are usually super healthy, like a chickpea curry (made with lite coconut milk) or curried lentils. Our homemade ramen (with homemade bone broth that simmered for 16 hours) last night was delicious, and pretty healthy. We also subscribe to a CSA and having a random variety of vegetables show up has forced up to find unique and tasty ways to eat vegetables.

Even though the recipe builder has its flaws, it is wonderful to be able to know exactly what I'm eating and it much more accurate than always guessing.
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I am a foodie. For recipe books I like all of the Hairy Dieters books (UK based books). When I use those I just be sure to weigh everything out and then I trust the calorie count in the book.

For other things I wouldn't count herbs, spices garlic which cuts down on the logging time. What I find annoying is other recipes that I know I can easily reduce the calories by making a few tweaks but its such an effort to add the 30 item list! I sometimes just avoid these- I guess I could enter negative calories- take off some of the spoons of oil or chicken skin for example?
  • sandryc79
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    I'v found that being a "foodie" actually makes it easier. My husband & I love to cook and we cook a lot. I've found that a lot of ethnic foods can be pretty healthy if properly done. We are meat eaters but have found a love for vegetarian SE Asian dishes, those are usually super healthy, like a chickpea curry (made with lite coconut milk) or curried lentils. Our homemade ramen (with homemade bone broth that simmered for 16 hours) last night was delicious, and pretty healthy. We also subscribe to a CSA and having a random variety of vegetables show up has forced up to find unique and tasty ways to eat vegetables.

Even though the recipe builder has its flaws, it is wonderful to be able to know exactly what I'm eating and it much more accurate than always guessing.
    I love making chickpea and lentil curries and they are so easy to make flavorful and low calorie. The Ramen sounds lovely, I have been using my own bone broth to make egg drop soup a lot lately. (Sounds stupid but I live for a simple delicious bowl of egg drop soup and finding the perfect balance of flavor is challenging)

I wish my boyfriend were as into Asian and Indian flavors as me. He will eat and enjoy them occasionally but complains is I do it as frequently as I want to.
  • North44
    North44 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are foodies too. He loves to cook and I love to eat his food! Last night he made chicken thighs with a sorrel sauce and some pasta with radicchio and peas (frozen not fresh unfortunately but still good) I have absolutely no idea how to enter some of that stuff in. He signed up with a local farm to get a delivery of vegetables and fruit every Monday and so is having to figure out what to do with things like sorrel and beets and all sorts of stuff. He got the recipe from a newsletter the put out. So delicious! We love to try new things both at home and out.

We are supposed to get Yukon gold potatoes and dill today I'm so excited lol

I don't worry too much as I still manage to lose weight.
  • jumblejups
    jumblejups Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Just on the recipe builder thing, I find it annoying too, I add everything as a meal and then I save it with the weight (eg 'Pork Belly and Apple 457g'), I weigh the whole lot after cooking as I usually make extra so need to put it in a container anyway. Then I just weigh my portion and take the relevant amount - so 110g of the pork belly would be 0.24 of the whole meal. It means deleting the meal then adding from my list, and it sounds convoluted, but it's actually quite easy! If I make a similar recipe another time I can add the portion of the meal and the change ingredients as needed.

Foodies over here too... ;)
  • vinerie
    Options
    sandryc79 wrote: »

Tonight I am back on track. Slow cooking some pork with thyme and sage from my garden, shredding that with a mushroom sauce and eating it with some roasted potatoes and crisp kale. Yum!

I have a garden too! I love working in it. I've got kale and lettuce in there right now. Peas are looking good, and beans are growing, too. Can't wait for tomato season!

I think people are right, to some degree, that being a foodie makes this easier. Clean, wholesome foods can never be a bad thing. The challenge, as always, is portion control. Also, I go out to eat and out for drinks a lot and it is so hard to lose weight doing that, so I'm trying to cut back.

• vinerie
    edited May 2015
    Options
    People in this thread may be interested in a story from today's New York Times: Eating healthy at restaurants (including a section titled 'Lemon and umami are your friends').

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2015/04/27/upshot/How-to-Eat-Healthy-Meals-at-Restaurants.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&module=photo-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0&abt=0002&abg=1
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I've become a bigger 'foodie' since starting at MFP.

I always loved food, but now I figure I'm on a more restricted calorie "budget" so I am much more judicious about not wasting those precious calories on sub-standard food. I save them as much as possible for high quality food. In fact, I fear I'm in danger of becoming (or perhaps, have already become) a veritable food snob.
  • Lazz5k
    Lazz5k Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    LOVE food. love good food, healthy food, food presentation. Obviously I love to splurge every once in a while but I love trying new things :)
  • AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »

• AdamImadA
    AdamImadA Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Homemade ramen sounds awesome!!!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think almost everyone here is a "foodie," or else we wouldn't be here to lose weight ;-)

Pretty much...

The recipe looks amazing, but way too many ingredients for my cooking skills (and patience, really).
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    adamklug73 wrote: »
    Homemade ramen sounds awesome!!!

Oh goodness it was! Fresh homemade broth, lots of veggies, noodles and an egg. Nom.