Heart conditions

I am looking for others that may face challenges from having a heart condition. How do you take control of your health when you have a condition that just makes you feel discouraged? I am struggling with feeling tired and just can't find the balance of healthy exercise to keep me feeling energetic.

Replies

• davidcliff
    davidcliff Posts: 144 Member
    You just have to find some piece of motivation and think about it each time you feel too tired to hit it. By Wednesday I'm dragging, but I find some spark to keep me going. Tuesdays and Thursday I have several training partners that keep me going, Mon/Wed/Fri I don't and I really have to push through. I'd like to get down another 15# and see if I can get off, or greatly reduce the meds I'm on.
  • Graceraeg
    Graceraeg Posts: 84 Member
    Sounds good but I don't know how that helps.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Graceraeg wrote: »
    I am looking for others that may face challenges from having a heart condition. How do you take control of your health when you have a condition that just makes you feel discouraged? I am struggling with feeling tired and just can't find the balance of healthy exercise to keep me feeling energetic.

What heart condition? What does your doctor say you should do?
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Sometimes the energetic feeling comes after you put forth the effort. You take control of your health by deciding to do so. Your mind is more powerful than your body, so use it to push thru the "I don't wanna". But all that is said with the disclaimer that I have no idea what condition you have, so follow your doctor's order.

I have PSVT...Paroxysmal supraventricular tachycardia. I do what I can. I stop when I have to. I see my doc when I need to. And I keep moving forward.
  • APeacefulWarrior
    APeacefulWarrior Posts: 86 Member
    Sounds like maybe you have a little more working against you than just a problem with your heart... feeling discouraged at first after a diagnosis is normal, but if it's affecting your outlook on life, you probably should talk to someone about it.

As for exercise, have you spoken with your doctor or an exercise physiologist to find out what is safe for you to do? Unless you're suffering from severe congestive heart failure, you should be able to swim, or walk, or enjoy activities like gardening, golf, riding a bike, etc. Building up a tolerance can be frustrating, especially if you were very active before, but it's not impossible.

The more active you are, the more positive changes you should see in your mood and outlook - activity releases all kinds of wonderful, healthful chemicals and actually gives you more energy!
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Concentrate on diet mainly. There are people on some of these forums that have mobility restrictions but continually lose based on diet alone.
    If you do a search you might be able to find out what strength training they do if you are looking specifically for exercises. I hope that helps!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    If you have an actual heart condition then any exercise should be done with the knowledge and approval of your Dr. Exercise is important to get fit and healthier irrespective of weight loss.