SOS to all the dieting/gym people

Options

Today starts my diet & I'm only allowing myself to have 1,320 calories a day in hopes to lose a pound & 1/2 a week (we will see) tho it's only day one & I'm over it. For breakfast I allowed 1/2 cup of blackberries, 1/2 cup of raspberries, whole banana mixed with a 1/4 of fruit dip. For lunch I have a cup of cottage cheese, chicken breast (no sauce) and Greek yogurt & for a snack string cheese. Dinner is undecided @ the moment.

I need advice on meals/meal preps..

I don't have a gym membership so my exercise will come strictly from walking/jogging after work wait who am I kidding walking, simply because my pops says the only time one should run is if a bear is chasing them, hahaha.

Goal is to lose 55 pounds I realize it won't happen over night and will take work tho I need help/advice on what to do/don't do to keep me on track.

I've cut out pasta and bread along with soda.

Replies

• WSOX37
    WSOX37 Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Good luck cutting soda out of your diet is a great first start
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you're cutting out pasta and bread? They're not evil, you know.

The most helpful advice I'd give is to make it sustainable. Eat like you plan to for life. Does that mean you're never going to eat bread or pasta again? If not, then work those things into your calorie goal. There are no bad foods. They're all just food that have calories... and calories are a unit of energy.

Soda is kind of iffy for me. I understand the reasoning behind cutting it a bit more. I cut out regular soda and switched to diet. That way I'm not drinking my calories.
  • mmoore154
    mmoore154 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You may want to look up exercises to do at home. You don't have to have a gym membership to get a good workout.
  • mmoore154
    mmoore154 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    And I wish you success in your journey.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I've had amazing results with basically ANY Jillian Michaels workout dvd. I'm currently on week four of Ripped in 30. I only do each level 5x a week, plus walking any chance I get while at work and on the weekends, plus one or two 30minute cardio workouts at the gym if I can make it. You can make it work!

As far as the eating, I'm seconding what Ninkyou said. You have to make it sustainable. Cutting out entire food groups is gonna backfire.
  • FitFitzy331
    FitFitzy331 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Is there a reason you're cutting out pasta and bread? They're not evil, you know.

The most helpful advice I'd give is to make it sustainable. Eat like you plan to for life. Does that mean you're never going to eat bread or pasta again? If not, then work those things into your calorie goal. There are no bad foods. They're all just food that have calories... and calories are a unit of energy.

Soda is kind of iffy for me. I understand the reasoning behind cutting it a bit more. I cut out regular soda and switched to diet. That way I'm not drinking my calories.

I agree with all of this. I know I could never cut out bread, pasta or soda so I didn't. As an example I fit all three into my meals for today. Making calorie dense choices is great for losing weight but you shouldn't deny yourself something if you can fit it into your calorie goal. It teaches you will power and not not view foods as evil.

For exercise I would check out pinterest, they have a lot of quick little work outs that you can do at home. Also if you wanted, you could try out couch to 5k and become a runner. If you don't want to run then you can just continue walking and body weight exercises when you get a chance.

Good luck!
  • curiouschemist
    curiouschemist Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I prep my dinners on Sunday so that I know for sure what I'm going to be eating for one meal. I've learned that I can't eat just plain chicken and be happy. I've had to learn to cook tasty food that fit into my goals. Look at www.skinnytaste.com for some awesome recipes. This week I made the lightened up Cajun pasta and it's delicious and only 350 calories for a large portion!
  • jeffchung91
    jeffchung91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Please don't drink diet soda :o

http://m.care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short
  • chastings32
    chastings32 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pasta/bread lover to begin with so cutting it out won't be an issue at all. I'll still have mashed potatoes here and there tho in moderation tho I've never ate much bread.
    Couple years ago I cut soda out for my New Years resolution and I went the entire year and lost 10 pounds just from not drinking soda no other diet. It's not hard to cut soda out tho when you get the crave for the carbonation it takes everything you have to fight it. Luckily summer is among us and the only thing that quinces my thirst is water. I just need to meal prep and do it correctly.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I'm not a pasta/bread lover to begin with so cutting it out won't be an issue at all. I'll still have mashed potatoes here and there tho in moderation tho I've never ate much bread.
    Couple years ago I cut soda out for my New Years resolution and I went the entire year and lost 10 pounds just from not drinking soda no other diet. It's not hard to cut soda out tho when you get the crave for the carbonation it takes everything you have to fight it. Luckily summer is among us and the only thing that quinces my thirst is water. I just need to meal prep and do it correctly.

Mineral water? I drink flavored mineral/sparkling water in place of what used to be my nightly beer (or two). I don't have a soda habit, but maybe that'll curb your fizzy habit.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good for you for making better health choices and wanting to lose! I agree with any of the Jillian Michaels DVDs are great! I started with 30 Day Shred which is AWESOME! Only 30 minutes...come on we all got time for that! Start with some kind of workout and STICK WITH IT! That's where most people slip up is they fall off the wagon. I think someone told me do something everyday for 21 days and its a habit? I think it may be true since I can't go more than one day without working out or I just feel "off".
    As far as the diet...why so low? If you have 55 pounds to lose that seems like a fairly restrictive calorie goal. Just curious..
    A few tips I can give you that have helped me immensely...
    Get a food scale. Cups and spoons are notoriously deceiving and can cause an overage on calories leading to slowed weight loss.
    Drink your water. At least 64 oz or more a day. Helps with satiety and controlling water retention.
    Eat what you like, but just in smaller portions.
    As far as pasta - its just the vehicle for the sauce. Use shredded/spiralized veggies (zucchini, sweet potato, cucumber) instead.
    Prep your food...bake/grill chicken in large batches on Sunday for the rest of the week; cut veggies and make low cal dips (i.e. hummus, greek yogurt ranch dip); plan out your meals that you like for the week or plan around a "cheat meal".

Meals are personal and everyone has their likes/dislikes. Hope some of this helps and feel free to add for support! Best of luck to you!

EDIT: Forgot free online workouts on FITNESSBLENDER are great! Anywhere from 10-120 minute workouts
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I've been collecting "fitness at home" routines. Try a seven to ten HIIT routine for efficiency.

https://www.pinterest.com/janetkarasz/fitness-at-home/
  • bradhiggs7
    bradhiggs7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Make sure to get your macros in order. Once I grasped that concept and started getting my macros in order my fat loss and muscle gains went through the roof.
  • otey743
    otey743 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think your calorie intake is very low . Find out what your TDEE is then take 20% of calories off of that . But I'm not sure your weight height or age ether. Feel free to add me if you would like more info . Best of luck .
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    You're just going to have to do some trial and error as well. At this point I know how many calories are in most foods and how to fit anything I want into my day. Is pizza always worth it? No. Can I have it? Yes. You can use the same recipes you had before, but eat less of them-or mess with them a bit to bring the calories down. Maybe you don't need a full cup of this or maybe you can get away with a tablespoon of that.

• JillianRN527
    JillianRN527 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hi! I've been going strong for two weeks! I am 26 and I have 55 pounds to lose. However my goal is not a number my goal is feeling good and being strong
  • kunikkelsey
    kunikkelsey Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tuna 90 cal. pouches are filling and they have about 10 different flavors. Wild brown rice, kale, boiled eggs, steel cute oatmeal... To name a few things
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    FitnessBlender.com
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options

I cut out soda, mostly, and drink club soda with fruit when I get a craving for it since I love carbonation, too. Good luck! :)
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Please don't drink diet soda :o

http://m.care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/4/688.short

Rotfl...the study abstract itself says it doesn't prove causation. Correlation is an entirely different thing. Maybe the people who drink diet soda are more obese to begin with from bad eating habits or they likely wouldn't have been drinking the diet soda to reduce calories.