why am I gaining weight??

Options

Replies

• Barbosas77
    Barbosas77 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am on the bodybuilder.com member and I have read a lot and I'm pretty sure most of you are right cuz I'm getting a lot of the same feed back. I will take all of your feed backs into consideration and modify my calories and training...Thanks for the help guys!
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    Barbosas77 wrote: »
    You guys are right...I just go by this trainer guy told me to do and put as a workout. He said I burn 600 calories with 60 min of weight training. I knew something was off. Plus I should be putting in my cheats meals. So I don't want to sound like an idiot but I'm new at all this...can someone explain what deficit is?

So you're that quick to turn around and trust a bunch of strangers on the internet? I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just saying the principal of this is you post your message . . . people say do this, don't do that [can't you read the sign] lol . . . anyways and you're believing them. Do research, accredited research, find legitimate reading material . . . I know a lot of the people who posted know their stuff but if you're new how do you know?

You need to figure out what works for you :)

not sure what to say to this...

first you slap the OP for agreeing with us, then you agree with us but then tell the OP to do her own digging and find out for herself what you and she are agreeing with....

this is like an enigma wrapped in a mystery.

I'm always amazed by people posting stating they're doing this . . . they've been told to do that, etc etc. Then people on MFP post and suggest this or that and the OP within minutes turns around and posts something like "Oh you guys are so right . . . I know I should do this, I didn't think this was quite right" etc etc without really looking into for themselves

A lot of what I have learned is a combination from posts on here (that aren't broscience or whatever) and digging I've done on my own. I just think people should research a bit and not just take what other people have to say at face value. I'm not saying that your advice (or anyone else's) is wrong, either. I don't know how/where you learned what you find most valuable, but I didn't just take everything everyone has to say and go with it. That's all I was pointing out.
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    erickirb wrote: »
    OP here is what I suggest you do ...

1. enter your stats into MFP and set it for whatever you goal weight loss is (.5 pound per week loss, one pound, etc)
    2. Eat to the number that MFP gives you
    3. Log everything you eat, including cheat meals
    4. get a food scale and weigh log everything
    5. Do not eat back any of your weight training calories burned. You may want to list your activity as sedentary so it gives you a little bit more calories to eat.
    6. set your MFP macros to 35% protein/35% carbs/30% fats
    7. I would suggest looking into a structured lifting program like strong lifts, starting strength, or new rules of lifting for woman, and follow said program
    8. repeat until you get desired results.

For number 5 I think you mean she should put light active, not sedentary. those macros wont matter that much as long as she gets enough protein, may only need 25%. and 40-45% carbs. Or she could just use MFP defaults as a min for both fat and protein and max on carbs.

yes, I use TDEE method so I am not really sure what the difference is between sedentary and lightly active...my main point is that she not enter in calories burned from strength training, but she may want to eat more than 1300 if she is going to be lifting.

On the macros, I thought about giving it in grams, but I did not want to confuse her so I figured the percents are easier and should get her to where she needs to be...

• Barbosas77
    Options
    So do you think I should be eating more protein than fat and carbs? So confusing when protein has fat and my fat Marcos go up lol
  • tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    So do you think I should be eating more protein than fat and carbs? So confusing when protein has fat and my fat Marcos go up lol

Sort out your caloric intake first, then worry about your macros.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

both would be set to the same amount acutally....I had that same setting when I was first losing and lifting.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

what is your current weight? I would need to know that in order to be able to advise..

dont' worry about fats, fat does not make you fat, over eating does.
  • Barbosas77
    Options

both would be set to the same amount acutally....I had that same setting when I was first losing and lifting.

• Barbosas77
    Options
    Ok awesome thanks
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You guys are right...I just go by this trainer guy told me to do and put as a workout. He said I burn 600 calories with 60 min of weight training. I knew something was off. Plus I should be putting in my cheats meals. So I don't want to sound like an idiot but I'm new at all this...can someone explain what deficit is?

I sincerely hope you're not paying for said trainer.
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    joeboland wrote: »

I sincerely hope you're not paying for said trainer.

• Barbosas77
    Options
    No way I'm not paying him...he's my coworker...he just gave me advice
  • Barbosas77
    Options
    Also...do you think I should log my pre workout drinks and or rebuild drinks?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options

Yes! Those often have hundreds of calories. Log everything you eat.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

So you're that quick to turn around and trust a bunch of strangers on the internet? I'm not saying they're wrong, I'm just saying the principal of this is you post your message . . . people say do this, don't do that [can't you read the sign] lol . . . anyways and you're believing them. Do research, accredited research, find legitimate reading material . . . I know a lot of the people who posted know their stuff but if you're new how do you know?

You need to figure out what works for you :)

not sure what to say to this...

first you slap the OP for agreeing with us, then you agree with us but then tell the OP to do her own digging and find out for herself what you and she are agreeing with....

this is like an enigma wrapped in a mystery.

I'm always amazed by people posting stating they're doing this . . . they've been told to do that, etc etc. Then people on MFP post and suggest this or that and the OP within minutes turns around and posts something like "Oh you guys are so right . . . I know I should do this, I didn't think this was quite right" etc etc without really looking into for themselves

A lot of what I have learned is a combination from posts on here (that aren't broscience or whatever) and digging I've done on my own. I just think people should research a bit and not just take what other people have to say at face value. I'm not saying that your advice (or anyone else's) is wrong, either. I don't know how/where you learned what you find most valuable, but I didn't just take everything everyone has to say and go with it. That's all I was pointing out.

So what do you suggest? People don't start threads at all asking questions and just lurk for a while? When everyone starts to respond with the same advice, you tend to listen. Everyone that has commented with advice for the OP here is reputable.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I log everything down to the cough drops I take occasionally. EVERYTHING has calories.
  • Barbosas77
    Options

what is your current weight? I would need to know that in order to be able to advise..

dont' worry about fats, fat does not make you fat, over eating does.

• Barbosas77
    Options
    148 and I'm 5'0
  • ndj1979
    Options

I log everything down to the cough drops I take occasionally. EVERYTHING has calories.

cosign ..

Log everything OP ...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    148 and I'm 5'0

Ok @ .8 grams per pound of body weight that would put you at 116 grams per day of protein....

Looks like you are getting around 90 grams right now, so I would just try to get as close to 116 as you can.