Eat your cals burnt?

Options
just wondering if I'm supposed to eat the calories I've burnt or not? Thanks

Replies

• nkenn84
    nkenn84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have wondered about this question before as well but I don't think so because you lose fat/weight when you are burning more calories than you are eating.
  • jmiller1028
    jmiller1028 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    see my problem here is that sometimes if I don't eat at least some of the calories burnt, mfp gets an attitude with me because once i burn the calories i am below 1200 calories for the day and it doesn't like that.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    IF you are using MFP to calculate your deficit (NEAT) then yes (I recommend eating back a portion of them).

If you are using TDEE (where your exercise is already factored in), then no.. those calories are already in your daily calorie amount.

Use this link and go to Exercise Calories section:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/833026/important-posts-to-read/p1
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    If you are using the MFP method your deficit is already built in to your goal number. If you exercise, you are supposed to eat back in order to say near that target as this gives a bigger source of energy to aid in your workout. Since the calories burned calculators often tend to overestimate the amount burned during workout, most people eat back a portion 50-75% to allow for any inaccuracies.
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    As far as I can tell your net calories (food - exercise) should be less than or equal to your goal. However you still need some calories so don't let your net intake go too low
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    see my problem here is that sometimes if I don't eat at least some of the calories burnt, mfp gets an attitude with me because once i burn the calories i am below 1200 calories for the day and it doesn't like that.

It does this because you are not sticking to the deficit you agreed to when you put in your stats and goals. It wants to make sure you don't try to sustain too low a deficit on a regular basis.
  • nkenn84
    nkenn84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options

It does that to me too