Vent: Was my kid handed an unfair/unjustifiable punishment in Phys. Ed?

Options

Replies

• yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When I was in school if I didn't dress out/participate in gym I just had to do a paper assignment or take the docked grade. However, we only took PE for half a year and an actual health class the other half.

I guess things are different depending on where you live but if it was a one time thing he did this I think that is a bit extreme but I also HATE burpees with a passion. I will never do them EVER again.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a light punishment compared to what I remember from school.
  • pechepanda
    pechepanda Posts: 7,939 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    your son could have said no and taken docked marks, no one can make him do anything,
    though a 100 burpees isnt that bad, 10 sets of 10 in what? an hour?
    we did that when i was a kid just when we were warming up, not even as a punishment and we were all fine,
    I understand you dont want your child to be in pain, but most jr high kids are capable of doing 100 burpees without experiencing that much pain, they might be sore for a day at most,
    he learnt a lesson, and really? thats considered a punishment?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Help him be successful by making sure he has enough sets of PE clothes.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I don't really feel bad for your son. And I think you're overreacting. I don't know why parents are so quick to jump to the rescue - he didn't follow the rules and was punished accordingly (in a physical education setting I think paying in athletic activity is appropriate). They are burpees. Anyone will get sore doing burpees, ffs. Kid needs to learn to follow the rules and then he won't have to pay the piper in burpees.
  • _whatsherface
    _whatsherface Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    When I was in HS, your grade was docked for not "dressing down." In fact, lots of kids failed PE for simply not dressing in their PE clothes. 100 burpees does seem excessive for his age. I think 50 would have sufficed but I don't know that you should get that upset over it. It was a lesson learned. I work for a school district myself and it's insane how much the kids these days disrespect their teachers and such. If all teachers were like his PE teacher, it would be a better place haha.
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    pechepanda wrote: »
    your son could have said no and taken docked marks, no one can make him do anything,
    we did that when i was a kid just when we were warming up, not even as a punishment and we were all fine,
    I understand you dont want your child to be in pain, but most jr high kids are capable of doing 100 burpees without experiencing that much pain, they might be sore for a day at most, so maybe the gym teacher wasnt aware of your son's fitness levels?
    the knuckle push-ups on the track is a bit much, but the burpees are acceptable in my opinion

If my kid had of said no to that particular punishment, there would have been a much bigger punishment at home and it would have included 100 burpees. That actually would have gotten me a 3 day suspension when I was in middle school.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Okay. Thanks guys. Maybe I was just being overly sensitive. I'll let it slide. My son will be grateful

Totally the right plan. This way, your son both learns that actions have consequences and that he's going to have to fight his own battles (if he's going to fight them!).
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Was the option there for your son to just take the docked grade? He wasn't "forced" or "made" to do the burpees I'm sure.

I'm sure he wasn't forced. And I don't have the whole story, but I still need to talk to the coach. But he makes it sound like his life will be hell if he hadn't complied. Because "the other coaches" would know about it and not look favorably upon him if he OR I complained. That's Texas sports for you (we're from Calif.). The funny thing is that my nephew, in another school district, in the same grade, complained of the same thing.

Dont blame it on "Texas Sports" it has nothing to do with the state your in.. I live in Texas now and did as a kid.. I have three kids in school from my youngest in Kinder and my oldest in 12th grade fixin' to finish school in a few weeks.. if they get in trouble at school they deal with what the school gives them and then they come home and get in trouble by me.
    He forgot his gym stuff so he got punished oh well.. he will learn from it
  • pechepanda
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kami3006 wrote: »
    I understand you dont want your child to be in pain, but most jr high kids are capable of doing 100 burpees without experiencing that much pain, they might be sore for a day at most, so maybe the gym teacher wasnt aware of your son's fitness levels?
    the knuckle push-ups on the track is a bit much, but the burpees are acceptable in my opinion

If my kid had of said no to that particular punishment, there would have been a much bigger punishment at home and it would have included 100 burpees. That actually would have gotten me a 3 day suspension when I was in middle school.
    we only got one day suspensions for forgetting our uniform, except for gym, where we got 5% docked for each class we didnt have our uniform, and we got to choose between running laps, push-ups or crunches for the whole class but we couldnt take breaks
    i dont have kids and i dont know what id do if i did, but my parents put me in karate everyday after school after i forgot my uniform a few times and refused to do the punishment cause skirts and crunches are a bad idea,
    I got to do 100 burpees, 100 crunches, 100 sit-ups and run laps with a medicine ball held up over my head everyday day for a year... never forgot my gym uniform again...
    though i wasnt particularly sore after the first few days
  • Groto1980
    Groto1980 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I would communicate with the P.E. teacher first, without anger. Clear expectations should be set that both the parents and the students know. Then if your son does not follow the rules, you/he will know what punishments to expect.
  • kami3006
    Options

we only got one day suspensions for forgetting our uniform, except for gym, where we got 5% docked for each class we didnt have our uniform, and we got to choose between running laps, push-ups or crunches for the whole class but we couldnt take breaks
    i dont have kids and i dont know what id do if i did, but my parents put me in karate everyday after school after i forgot my uniform a few times and refused to do the punishment cause skirts and crunches are a bad idea,
    I got to do 100 burpees, 100 crunches, 100 sit-ups and run laps with a medicine ball held up over my head everyday day for a year... never forgot my gym uniform again...

that would make for an interesting thread...punishments that left us with lessons learned.

also, the 3 day would have been for saying no to the coach/teacher. Not for forgetting the uniform.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    :)

I was upset one time when my daughter's 4th grade gym teacher made them run outside in the rain. It wasn't a nice warm rain, it was cold and damp. I did call and complain and was reprimanded that being cold and wet doesn't give kids colds. But it sure doesn't make them look forward to gym class does it, lol.

That's just stupid on their part. Then the kids have to sit in class wet for the rest of the day. How distracting.

I thought it was pretty stupid myself....and let them know, that they have a tax-payer provided gym the kids can run laps in when the weather is bad....nothing more effective about running out in the rain when you're 9 years old. LOL

My daughter was mad at me too for making the call...lol.
  • pechepanda
    Options

that would make for an interesting thread...punishments that left us with lessons learned.

also, the 3 day would have been for saying no to the coach/teacher. Not for forgetting the uniform.
    i never got in trouble for saying no at school as long as i was still safe cause i could come up with a reason for why, so i just got a phone call home,
    yea.... most of the punishments i got as a kid taught me nothing, they didnt bother me,
    i just really didnt like the karate studio my parents sent me to cause id get kept after class and given punishments for talking back, and that annoyed me
  • kami3006
    Options
    I do recall my band teacher in middle school making one of the kids stand outside in the cold, without a coat, as a punishment for something. This was in them middle of winter. I reported the teacher to the principal because that was above and beyond. That is something I would expect my kid to say no to and then to head straight to the main office.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

100 burpees is unfair for not dressing for gym class? How many sets of gym clothes does he have? Why not keep a spare at school?

Unless your son has a physical impairment, that really doesn't sound unfair or unjustified. So he is sore, he will live. If you don't want him to receive physical punishments, have a chat with the principle and see if there are other options, like losing grade points. But you're doing that at the risk of letting him believe rules don't apply to him.

I get it, you want to be protective --- but the teacher wasn't out of line.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Life isn't fair. Perhaps next time he will follow the rules.

Yes, I agree, but I believe my son has some rights. These types of punishments are not called for in a middle school setting. If he had just docked his grade, and had my son continued to not adhere to the rules, I would see it and consequence would follow at home, as well. But my son didn't have to tell me his arms were so sore he could barely lift them and barely function for four days. And all this because he didn't comply one day with dress code. I don't know. Maybe I'm overreacting?

Wait, making kids to physical exercise in a phys ed class isn't appropriate in a school setting? I must be missing something.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,543 Member
    Options
    If y'all keep talking to OP like this, there will be a "mean people" thread before Friday...
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to just being embarrassed and wearing the ancient loaner gym clothes and making them run a few laps? I remember that being like the Dunce Hat of P.E.

I personally feel the coach went overboard. What would've been the subsequent "punishment" if the child couldn't complete the burpees?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    And to be clear...my son mentioned he was over it, and he actually begged me not to complain. He was fine with the punishment. I'm the one who isn't fine with it. And don't worry...I don't give in to everything my son does wrong. Just the opposite. I just have a hard time not picturing prisoners of war. Haha. Totally exaggerating. But maybe i just need to calm down.

Yep.