Has anyone been to Turkey?

Options
jennontheroad
jennontheroad Posts: 142 Member
I am going to Turkey this summer for the first time. Has anyone been? Things I should definately do? I am VERY excited about the food, but I figure I will be walking so much I shouldn't gain weight.

Replies

• Bucky83
    Bucky83 Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I went to Istanbul and Kusadasi on a Contiki Cruise. Highly recommend checking out the Hagia Sophia, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar and Spice Bazaar in Istanbul. Also do a turkish bath, it's a rather bizarre experience! Smoke some shisha, enjoy the food.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    Also went on a cruise...stopped where we could go to Ephesus...hired a driver to show us sights for the day, he had a clear itinerary that he wanted (probably kick backs from shop owners) but was willing to do what we wanted...see a beach, go to a bazaar, have Turkish coffee. It was lovely and I would love to spend more time there!
  • ezgio8
    ezgio8 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I live in Istanbul. If you are coming here, you should see all of the places Bucky listed. I recommend you to take a ferry and feed the seagulls (it's an awesome experience because they will come very close to you :D ) You should definitely go to the Galata Tower, Taksim - Istiklal, Dolmabahçe Palace (where Atatürk died), Beylerbeyi Palace, Topkapı Palace, Basilica Cistern (very close to the Blue Mosque), Rumelian Castle (I don't know if they let people in anymore but even if they don't, you can still get a close view of the Bosphorus and walk by the seaside) or just take a Bosphorus Tour (there are so many tour ships in Eminönü and it's not expensive). Maiden's Tower is also a must-see. It's in the middle of the sea but there are ships that can take you there. For a very nice view, I recommend you to go to Büyük Valide Han in Fatih for a view of Istanbul from a rooftop. At first, you will enter a dark and abandoned building then a man will open the door for you for just 1 Turkish Lira so you can enjoy the rooftop as long as you want. Now for food... Turkish coffee, Turkish delight, Hookah (Çorlulu Ali Paşa Medresesi and Tophane has the best ones, in my opinion), Baklava, Kebab, Gözleme, Rakı and many many more... These are all that comes to my mind right now. If you're not going to Istanbul but another city, let me know so I can recommend stuff.
  • RJ0274
    RJ0274 Posts: 4,173 Member
    Options
    Boat cruise on the Bosphurus Straight - and definitely Ala Sophia (SP?) church/mosque. Make sure to get to a Taverna for some local cuisine.