Can someone please explain how these things work to me?

Options
"Refeed" and "adaptive thermogensis" in relation to restarting weight loss. Just for the record, I'm not worried about my weight loss. I feel comfortable with the rate at which I'm losing, since I'm feeling good, eating foods I like, and not seeing any loose issues. However, someone in another thread suggested that, had a person who had been eating a VLCD diet done a "refeed" and slowly brought calories up to maintenance and cut again [apparent science] would occur. I'd love to understand how that works, especially if I could stick it in my toolbox for an occasion upon which I really would just like to lose these last pounds and get it over with so that I can get to maintenance myself.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Leptin

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

Although adaptive thermogenesis is not equal to metabolic drop as people seem to understand it from what I've read
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Insulin
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    The person in the thread may have been in a stall.. Sometimes giving your body a "diet break" can be good.

Basically go off the deficit, eat at maintenance... Instead of cutting the deficit further, go up and off it for a short while.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Leptin

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark60.htm

Although adaptive thermogenesis is not equal to metabolic drop as people seem to understand it from what I've read

Thank you for that article--it looks both interesting and accessible, which is great for me, since my eyes tend to glaze over with too much technical stuff. I've bookmarked it so that I can refer back to it later if I want to do so. Lrdoflamancha, can you explain "insulin?" I have been taking metformin for insulin resistance/Type II diabetes, so anything that deals with insulin and its processing is interesting to me.

Gia07, I think I've heard that before, but it's mostly been suggested by people talking about eating more/not at a deficit in order to build muscle/work out. I had thought about losing another few pounds, then trying to build a little more muscle before losing the last 10 pounds or so. Is that kind of what you're talking about?