Eat This, Not That!

Options
Fill in the blanks!

"When you're craving ______, eat _________. It's better for you because _____________. It really helps if you're trying to _(lose weight/gain muscle)_."

Recipes are always welcome! I will start.

When you're craving sweets, eat a light crunchy salad with a raspberry vinaigrette. It's better for you because it's low fat and low calorie, and some dressings are even sugarless if that's a concern. It really helps if you're trying to lose weight. My favourite fix is spinach and romaine with Ken's Lite raspberry vinaigrette, and maybe some walnuts to make it filling.

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    No.
  • JSurita2
    JSurita2 Posts: 1,304 Member
    Options
    "When you're craving (Insert any food), eat (that food) if it fits into your daily allotment. It's better for you because (you should not deprive yourself of anything you really want). It really helps if you're trying to learn how to eat in moderation and still lose weight." ;)
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving a lime I have a margarita, because a lime without tequila is just a lime.
  • andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    eat below your burn off not above.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    When I'm craving food I eat food. It's better for me because it powers my body and fuels my workouts. It really helps if you're trying to live.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Whatever food I'm craving I usually make it myself. It's better because it's nearly always much less calories and I love my cooking.
    If I want wine, I have wine. It's better because it's wine.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Want the food. Eat the food. Lose the weight.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »
    When I'm craving a lime I have a margarita, because a lime without tequila is just a lime.

Now I want a margarita....mmmmmm!
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I <3 you guys.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I will never substitute something for another, UNLESS it tastes better that way, or I just don't have it in the cabinet/fridge/whatever. For example, I have pumpkin bread mix that calls for egg and oil. I usually sub for a banana and applesauce. It ends up being less calories (though less protein) and I think it tastes better that way.

But like... if I want chocolate, I'm having chocolate. If I want ice cream, I'm having ice cream.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'll bite.

When I'm craving spaghetti - I will eat spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, and maybe even a meatball or two - because I'm not really craving the pasta as much as the hot tomato sauce and meat. The spaghetti squash is not a real substitute for spaghetti but it's a reasonable vehicle to deliver the tomato sauce and meatball without 200 calories for a skimpy serving. I can eat a LOT of spaghetti squash for a fraction of the calories...

Is it the same? No - but like I said, my craving isn't really for the pasta but for what you put ON the pasta. I don't want to eat a bowl of sauce and a meatball...hence, the spaghetti squash.

If you're craving something sweet, then have some watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe in a fruit salad with a dollop of cool whip on top. Much more satisfying than a vegetable salad with vinaigrette. That's just a weird compromise to make when your sweet tooth is acting up.

These are about the only "Eat this not that" things I can think of where I wouldn't be trying to stab someone with a fork for trying to get me to eat it instead of what I am wanting.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

Now I want a margarita....mmmmmm!
    Diiiiiiiiiiiitto! :love:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Eff that.

No way I'm eating a salad if I'm craving something sweet. No. Effing. Way.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    The salad with fruit and vinaigrette sounds like a good tip to me. But then, I don't really have sweet cravings often so I'm sure it would vary from person to person. Pretty much everything diet related does.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    wizzybeth wrote: »
    Ok, I'll bite.

When I'm craving spaghetti - I will eat spaghetti squash with tomato sauce, parmesan cheese, and maybe even a meatball or two - because I'm not really craving the pasta as much as the hot tomato sauce and meat. The spaghetti squash is not a real substitute for spaghetti but it's a reasonable vehicle to deliver the tomato sauce and meatball without 200 calories for a skimpy serving. I can eat a LOT of spaghetti squash for a fraction of the calories...

Is it the same? No - but like I said, my craving isn't really for the pasta but for what you put ON the pasta. I don't want to eat a bowl of sauce and a meatball...hence, the spaghetti squash.

If you're craving something sweet, then have some watermelon, honeydew, and cantaloupe in a fruit salad with a dollop of cool whip on top. Much more satisfying than a vegetable salad with vinaigrette. That's just a weird compromise to make when your sweet tooth is acting up.

These are about the only "Eat this not that" things I can think of where I wouldn't be trying to stab someone with a fork for trying to get me to eat it instead of what I am wanting.

I have a similar reaction- but I realized I liked the spaghetti squash plain- so now I just eat meat sauce- it's mostly meat with sauce on it- rather than sauce with meat in it- but I just did away with the vehicle and shovelled straight into my face.

but similar mind set.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    If I crave pizza, I eat the pizza, because it fits into my goals, because I made room for it.
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,578 Member
    Options
    Last night I craved wine, so I took the dog for a twilight walk/run so I could have some. :) I wouldn't settle for lemon water or something silly like that.
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »
    If I crave pizza, I eat the pizza, because it fits into my goals, because I made room for it.
    yeh i love pizza