Solo hiking/camping

Options
JenAndSome
JenAndSome Posts: 1,908 Member
I have a very strong desire to go camping and hiking. I don't get a lot of free time. I work a lot. I am constantly surrounded by people and I really just want to be outside and be alone. Am I nuts? I went for a short hike near the lake where I live last week and every one who found out nearly lost their minds that I would dare to go by myself. I never felt in any danger. I rarely feel uncomfortable alone. I am very self-sufficient so I saw no problem with it. Does anyone else ever do this and have any advice or tips for me if I do decide to take a few days off to go play in the woods?

Replies

• scg17
    scg17 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I have flown to different states to hike alone. Just be smart. Know your fitness level (example, I have no problem doing 10 miles a day backpacking, but if I'm going alone I would cut that down, just in case I'm injured). Have times you check in with people (ie, I will be in cell range by 2pm Monday, I will text), and review the trip beforehand to make certain it is safe (as in safe from vandals, creepy folks, etc). Bring a little extra gear. If possible, pick a hike that actually has cell reception (easier and easier to do these days).
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I see no problem with it. Just take precautions. Make sure you have a cell phone and are in a location where it will work. Carry one of those flip-out batons and pepper spray, and a loud whistle. Be sure to have a first aid kit, emergency numbers, know how to reach the park ranger if u are in a park, etc. And if possible bring along a great big dog.
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    I see no problem with it. Just take precautions. Make sure you have a cell phone and are in a location where it will work. Carry one of those flip-out batons and pepper spray, and a loud whistle. Be sure to have a first aid kit, emergency numbers, know how to reach the park ranger if u are in a park, etc. And if possible bring along a great big dog.

QFT. Lol about the big dog... Seriously, do you know anybody with a dog you could take? My neighbors let me take their dog running. It's a great deal for both of us. I think it's an awesome idea. If you're careful and plan well, you should be fine. Have fun!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Good recommendations above. Just be aware and always let someone know your route in case of emergency.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    If your cell phone has good coverage in the area and you go to a State or National park/forest areas and you check in with the rangers, I would say yes, do it. I have never camped out alone, but hiking alone I have done often. I would probably opt for an established campsite, so others will notice if you don't return. You just have to let people know where you are headed, make sure no storms etc. are headed your way. Use your head to stay safe.

If it is bear country make sure you know what to do with your foodstuff etc. Don't go to bear country during TOM!!!! That is asking for trouble. If it is major snake country, you might want to avoid trails early in the mornings when they are sunning etc. Usually they want less to do with you, then you want to do with them. Have a small first aid kit in your pack. Don't forget to have enough water to hydrate with you at all times.

I love to hike alone so I know how you feel about this.
  • JenAndSome
    Options
    Thanks for the safety tips. If I go it will definitely be in state. I will check cell reception for the area. I didn't even think about that. I guess I could train a carrier pigeon if nothing else, but yeah, checking in with someone is a good idea. I do not have access to a big dog to take with me, but I kind of wish I did. I guess not having to share a tent with a dog is on the plus side of that equation, though.
  • JenAndSome
    Options
    Thank goodness I am not in bear country at all. We do have some snakes around here but I have yet to run across anything more dangerous than a garter snake. I am okay with keeping it that way.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I personally wouldn't recommend packing into the forest without a "buddy". I wouldn't think twice about a short walk or day hike so long as someone knew where I was going and when I'd be back...but hiking into the wilderness for miles and days is not something I would do without accompaniment.

There is a lot of awesomeness deep in the woods...and there's a whole lot of *kitten* that can go wrong to regardless of how self-sufficient you are.

ETA: after reading others responses, I guess my idea of hiking and camping are different from what other people think. Where I am, there is absolutely no cell coverage anywhere in the mountains...just millions of acres of wilderness and mountains. If *kitten* goes wrong, you're toast.

I have "car camped" numerous times on my own in established forest service campgrounds...in most cases, there are many people there so it's not like I'm really on my own...hiking into the bush is a different matter.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Bring some pepper spray and use it on all of the nay-sayers.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    coyotes have been known to attack and even kill hikers here and there around here (Nova Scotia), usually people hiking alone, as they wont attack groups of people.
  • remelign
    remelign Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've hiked and camped by myself many times. Always bring a whistle, and a dog is a great hiking companion. Bring extra food and water if you can, in case you get lost/off track/just want to stay longer than expected.

Once, when camping alone near King's Canyon NP in California over Memorial Day weekend, it had snowed the whole week before, so NO ONE ELSE showed up at the campground. Every site, except the one I had booked, was covered with snow. It was amazing! A little scary at first, but the quiet, peace and serenity of the forest was perfect for meditation and relaxation. The site was next to an open meadow, and I saw deer, fox, and lots of birds including eagles! I could use a trip like that again. It was right in the middle of my last "get fit" journey, and really helped me focus my objectives for life and living.
  • jonnyman41
    jonnyman41 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    are there any groups you could join of like minded people for camping? We camp in Uk with a group that consists of single adults, couples, friends and the odd family. By day we all do our own thing but at night various people have camp fires and you just choose where to join in or stay at your own tent. Round the fire is usually very laid back with people just enjoying the outside air. Feels very safe if going alone though as there are people near by if there was an issue but your space is respected too
  • JenAndSome
    Options
    erickirb wrote: »
    coyotes have been known to attack and even kill hikers here and there around here (Nova Scotia), usually people hiking alone, as they wont attack groups of people.

I did a quick search of coyote attacks because we definitely have those. It looks like most of the attacks that happen around my area are in more urban areas where the coyotes have a lessened fear of humans. That is definitely something else to keep in mind, though. Most likely I would be staying at dedicated camping areas so I won't be completely isolated from others.

• Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I was JUST looking at available camping spots in my state this morning. I used to go camping and hiking alone every other weekend years ago when I was more fit. And I loved every minute! I wanted to get back into it since I feel healthier now. All the useful advice from above are pieces of gold! I never felt threatened either, so I understand how you feel. I learned to keep it to myself that I was going alone, because listening to everyone else made me question my own sanity. When the reality is...going alone is what KEPT my sanity!! Now though, I have friends who understand my need for solitary time and I tell them my plan and I check in when I say I will.
  • JenAndSome
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I personally wouldn't recommend packing into the forest without a "buddy". I wouldn't think twice about a short walk or day hike so long as someone knew where I was going and when I'd be back...but hiking into the wilderness for miles and days is not something I would do without accompaniment.

There is a lot of awesomeness deep in the woods...and there's a whole lot of *kitten* that can go wrong to regardless of how self-sufficient you are.

ETA: after reading others responses, I guess my idea of hiking and camping are different from what other people think. Where I am, there is absolutely no cell coverage anywhere in the mountains...just millions of acres of wilderness and mountains. If *kitten* goes wrong, you're toast.

I have "car camped" numerous times on my own in established forest service campgrounds...in most cases, there are many people there so it's not like I'm really on my own...hiking into the bush is a different matter.

If I go it will be on a well established trail complete with dedicated camping areas and whatnot. I don't live in the mountains and I am pretty sure there are very few areas in my state without cell reception. I am not brave enough to just take off into the wilderness with nothing but a compass and high hopes just yet.
  • Follow_me
    Follow_me Posts: 6,120 Member
    Options
    Carry a pistol
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Many years ago, I would have said, go for it. But nowadays? No. I like being alone in the woods too and do it often. I would never do it alone overnight. Better...safe, than sorry. At least camp near other people. Please be careful.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I have camped and hiked solo. Sometimes in areas of cell service sometimes not. Sometimes in bear country, sometimes not. This summer i plan to just disappear into the woods for a weekend with only what I can carry.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I hike alone and Carry Bear spray and a cell phone
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've done this a few times, never had any problems. Know your limits - ie how far you can hike in and out. Bring ample supplies including some emergency electrolyte powder, and some sugary snacks for use in the event that you bonk. Wear convertible clothes in case you need to lose or add a layer for weather. Make a firm plan and be sure to check in with the park rangers about the length of your stay, more or less where you intend on staying, and which trails you intend to use to get there.

EDIT/ADDITION: Android and iPhone both have GPS beacon apps. I'd definitely get one, and let the rangers know you have it. If something happens and they need to find you, they will appreciate it.