Sugars

Options
anyone else hitting their sugars too early in the day? I've got mine set to 49 and I always hit it after lunch totally sucks. Any advice?

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Quit tracking it...unless you are diabetic. Sugar is a carb. You are already tracking carbs. Switch your display and you can track something else if you want, fiber or iron, etc.
  • sjohnson__1
    sjohnson__1 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    Quit tracking it...unless you are diabetic. Sugar is a carb. You are already tracking carbs. Switch your display and you can track something else if you want, fiber or iron, etc.

BINGO.

• abetterluke
    abetterluke Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    If it's mainly from natural foods like fruit then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Do you have a medical condition that means you need to control them? If not I wouldn't worry about them
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options

Sugar is sugar no matter where it comes from.
  • abetterluke
    Options
    isulo_kura wrote: »

That's true -- but nobody is on this site because they got fat from eating apples. You're going to feel a lot more full eating fruit than you are eating candy and thus less likely to overdo it.
  • Alisonison
    Alisonison Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Diabetes runs in my family, I haven't been diagnosed yet but I definitely want to track it just in case
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    I have my sugar goal set to 45 and I often don't hit it at all.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

That's true -- but nobody is on this site because they got fat from eating apples. You're going to feel a lot more full eating fruit than you are eating candy and thus less likely to overdo it.

MY DAD'S ON THIS SITE AND HE GOT FAT FROM EATING APPLES!

Not really, but he did get fat from eating "whole foods." Why is it so hard to fathom that people can get fat NOT eating junk food?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Alisonison wrote: »
    Diabetes runs in my family, I haven't been diagnosed yet but I definitely want to track it just in case

That's a good reason, then. Cut out foods with added sugars, take it easy on the fruit. Berries are lower in sugar in than other fruits...and freakin' delicious.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

I would still just track carbs.
  • abetterluke
    Options

Not really, but he did get fat from eating "whole foods." Why is it so hard to fathom that people can get fat NOT eating junk food?

And what do you mean by "whole foods"? If you're dad got fat eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats then I'd say he definitely did something wrong. If you're talking about those things along with bread, rice, cheese, fatty meats, etc. then yeah I'd say it's certainly possible. The poster didn't ask if you could get fat eating "whole foods". She asked about sugar. Again I say it...nobody on here got fat from eating too much fruit.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

That's also why I keep an eye on my sugar intake. Family history.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,951 Member
    Options
    Bam... end thread.

• SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I ignore it.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Any advice?

Look at what's causing you to hit it and consider whether it's an issue for you.

I mostly eat fruit and dairy in the morning and tend to eat veggies with breakfast and lunch so in theory could hit it based on those (especially if I included beets in my lunch or some such) if my goal were around 45. If that occurred, I wouldn't care. However, if I looked and saw I was getting lots of sugar in my oatmeal or something I hadn't expected, I'd probably swap it out for a different oatmeal that was oats only.

I don't think added sugar is the devil (and in some cases I think it's a quite reasonable thing to consume--for example, if you only like oatmeal with some sugar, add some sugar, IMO). However, on the whole I like to use my sugar for fruits, veggies, dairy, and sweet treats I will thoroughly enjoy, like some high quality chocolate or ice cream.

I tend to think the WHO approach of 5% (or 10%, if you aren't that worried about it) of calories from added sugar makes more sense than 15% of calories from all sugar, however. Not because added sugar is different, but because it's a rough way of considering how much of your calorie budget you are using for extras.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Getting fat from eating whole foods is a far cry from getting fat from eating apples.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

And what do you mean by "whole foods"? If you're dad got fat eating fruits, vegetables, and lean meats then I'd say he definitely did something wrong. If you're talking about those things along with bread, rice, cheese, fatty meats, etc. then yeah I'd say it's certainly possible. The poster didn't ask if you could get fat eating "whole foods". She asked about sugar. Again I say it...nobody on here got fat from eating too much fruit.

I mean foods that are generally thought of as unprocessed. I'm just making a point that regardless of the food being consumed, you can get fat eating anything if it puts you in a calorie surplus.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Getting fat from eating whole foods is a far cry from getting fat from eating apples.

Again, just making a point.
  • abetterluke
    Options

I mean foods that are generally thought of as unprocessed. I'm just making a point that regardless of the food being consumed, you can get fat eating anything if it puts you in a calorie surplus.

That's just basic math. You're not taking into account the likelihood of someone actually doing that. Using fruit as an example most fruits are going to be much more filling than say a candybar. 45g of fruit will make you pretty damn full while probably not killing your calorie count whereas 45g of candy will probably kill your calorie count and you'll still be incredibly hungry. I'm not saying you're wrong. Anything can be unhealthy if not being consumed in moderation. The point is that 99.99999% of MFP is not here because they have an addiction to "whole foods".