What is the real purpose for Whey Protein?

Hey guys! :)
Just wanted to know what the purpose of whey protein is? That way I can know if I should be taking it. I am trying to drop 20-25lbs by no specific date.

Is it a weight loss aid or is it to bulk? Every time I ask someone they give me either or answers. I would love to know what you guys think!

P.s. I haven't started weight training yet, just doing some cardio. I don't know if that matters or not lol.

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    alexacb92 wrote: »

Is it a weight loss aid or is it to bulk?

Neither.

It's to help you get more protein in your diet if you don't get enough through regular food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    It helps you meet your protein goals. Many people find that meeting these goals improves satiety. Protein is also required to build/repair muscle.

But you don't need whey protein to meet your protein goals. You can meet this goal with other foods containing protein. It's just a food.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    edited May 2015
    It is simply a supplement to help you reach your protein goal. Some people prefer to eat food. Some people have a hard time eating enough protein, so a shake is quick, easy and often cheaper.
    Protein can help make you feel full and keep you full which can help you when you are cutting calories. Some people use protein shakes for this. Or you can go for whole food.

Protein intake is important during bulking which is why you often see people who are bulking use it. It is not necessary for bulking either.

TLDR - if you like it, and it helps you reach your protein and/or calorie goals, go for it. It is not necessary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    Hey guys! :)
    Just wanted to know what the purpose of whey protein is? That way I can know if I should be taking it. I am trying to drop 20-25lbs by no specific date.

Is it a weight loss aid or is it to bulk? Every time I ask someone they give me either or answers. I would love to know what you guys think!

P.s. I haven't started weight training yet, just doing some cardio. I don't know if that matters or not lol.

That's because it's just a supplement and has nothing to do with your weight control goals. You can use it while cutting...you can use it while bulking...it's just a way to supplement your protein if you don't hit your targets with food.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    I think its the best protein on the market in suppliment form
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited May 2015
    Protein. I like to add it to my fruit smoothies to supplement my daily protein.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Has whey protein been in the news lately? I've seen so many posts about it and a lot of people have the idea it's some kind of weight loss aid. Which it isn't, it's just a type of protein supplement.

Probably from the protein world thing. That's the only thing I can think of that would have brought this much attention to protein powder.

To the OP - I use it to help me get enough protein in. I think that's the main point of it anyway.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    edited May 2015
    Well, the purpose of a protein supplement (which is what whey protein is) is to supplement your protein intake. It will not make you lose or gain weight. It's protein, not magic.

Perhaps your actual question is, "what is the real purpose of protein?"
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Helps you meet protein goals.

This
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    One of the commons reasons is to maximize protein intake while minimizing intake of the other macros.
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Basically what everyone has said about it just being a protein supplement. I like it for that reason, and because I've found it makes me feel satisfied and full for a little longer than without. Other than that, *shrug*. It sure as hell isn't gonna make you lose weight for the mere fact that you've added it to your diet. You still have to work out and eat a deficit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,909 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Is it a weight loss aid or is it to bulk?

Neither.

It's to help you get more protein in your diet if you don't get enough through regular food.
    THIS.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LadyFencer
    LadyFencer Posts: 51 Member
    It is a byproduct of manufacturing cheese and yogurt. The popularity of Greek yogurt in particular has created a huge excess of it, so it's become very important to convince people they need it. Don't fall for the hype. You get plenty of protein from real food.
  • 3dogsrunning
    LadyFencer wrote: »
    It is a byproduct of manufacturing cheese and yogurt. The popularity of Greek yogurt in particular has created a huge excess of it, so it's become very important to convince people they need it. Don't fall for the hype. You get plenty of protein from real food.

I can remember protein powder being around long before I ever heard of Greek yogurt.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Good! I'm the first person who gets to say this. Whey protein is the mamma cow's way of providing nourishing protein to her calf. That's it's purpose.

We've re-purposed of course.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member

Unless you dont
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    That's a pretty generalized statement there. Without looking at a person's food choices how on earth can you know if they are getting "plenty of protein from real food."
    Maybe you meant to say that " You CAN get plenty of protein from real food."
  • LadyFencer
    That's a pretty generalized statement there. Without looking at a person's food choices how on earth can you know if they are getting "plenty of protein from real food."

I'll adjust slightly to clarify. If you are eating real food and not junk and you are getting enough calories, it is virtually impossible to be getting too little protein. That is a fact.
  • LadyFencer

I can remember protein powder being around long before I ever heard of Greek yogurt.

Never said it didn't exist before- just that there's an even bigger need to unload it now.
  • 3dogsrunning

I'll adjust slightly to clarify. If you are eating real food and not junk and you are getting enough calories, it is virtually impossible to be getting too little protein. That is a fact.

Define what too little is.
    I would argue it depends on your goal.
    If you are aiming for bare minimum, sure. Not everyone is.
    I competed in a bodybuilding competition and was aiming for between 30-40% of my calories in protein. I also was not eating "junk". Every meal had a protein source. I still used protein powder to help me reach my goal at times. It could be difficult to hit the amounts I needed with just food. It was also a lot of food.
    Even now I still have to focus on hitting my protein.