Insanity Level 1 Drills question

Options
smccb
smccb Posts: 99 Member
Hi,

I just completed my first Insanity workout today and have a question about the Level 1 Drills....

I tried to keep up with the DVD, but got very tired and had to stop a few times. Also, my form on the push-ups was not very good because it was so fast moving.

Is it more important to keep pace with the people on the DVD or to go at my own pace? If I go at my own pace, I am definitely slower going than everyone on the video but my form is much better (especially on the push-ups). If I speed it up, my push-ups are not quite full push-ups, but I feel like I am working faster and harder.

So....slow with great form or quick with not-so-great form?

Thanks,

Sarah

Replies

• jayevan
    jayevan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keep your form and do as many as You can in the allotted time. This goes for all exercises.
  • hmuh
    hmuh Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Love insanity. You'll get great results just going at your own pace. Best wishes!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Form is paramount. If you break form, you risk injury (this is true for almost any exercise). If you find your form getting sloppy, take a short break, then come back in a little slower and make sure your form stays good. Don't worry overly much about keeping pace with the video. I usually stay with them for the first set or two, but I usually start keeping my own pace fairly quickly. Push for as many as you can do as fast as you can do while maintaining form.
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    always go at your own pace and listen to Shaun T (he's so sexy!) form is important... for the push ups, if you can do a couple on your feet and then your form goes, go on your knees you will work up to being able to do more on your feet in no time with the program... you'll see ;)

good luck!
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    Work at your own pace, you will build up strength, stamina and endurance. The folks demonstrating those DVDs rehearsed and prepped for the shoot, and doing those DVDs for a living, so of course they go faster, harder and stronger. And form is very important, if you can't maintain proper form, look up a/or perform a suggested modification so you don't injure yourself :)
  • jeremyw1977
    jeremyw1977 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Above all, maintain your form.....the speed will come in due time.
    If you sacrifice your form to try to keep up, you will either not get the benefit that the exercise intends or your risk injuring yourself.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    always go at your own pace and listen to Shaun T (he's so sexy!)
    good luck!

He is a fine looking man, too bad he's married to another fella.....I've nothing against his sexual preference, but darn, he had to be taken!!
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    FORM, FORM, FORM!!! If you sacrifice your form for speed you will likely

1 - Injure yourself making it necessary to take 6 weeks + off from ANY exercise.
    2 - Get discouraged and quit the program,
    3 - Get burned out and give up.
    4 - (I wouldn't bet on this one as the odds are small) suffer no ill affects of sacrificed form.

With all the jumping and pushing you are going to likely hurt a knee or a shoulder if you aren't careful.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    always go at your own pace and listen to Shaun T (he's so sexy!)
    good luck!

He is a fine looking man, too bad he's married to another fella.....I've nothing against his sexual preference, but darn, he had to be taken!!

He is Bi and not restricted by his current marital status when it comes to the ladies. Just FYI.
  • fadedflower79
    fadedflower79 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Not even the fitness experts IN the video can keep up and Shaun T is not doing every rep either! Go at your own pace but still challenge yourself!

Many of the moves can even be modified to a lower impact move if you wanted to keep the cardio rate up and simply keep moving! You will see results, just keep pushing play and have fun!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    Never compromise form. If you do, it could end up in injury and you also might not be working the right muscle groups. The goal is to start with good form at your own pace and eventually you'll be able to work up to his pace. Now go dig deeper! :)