Disagree

im on a treadmill incline between 10 an 15% walking 3.9-4.3 mph for 70 min and I burned 875 calories!! So if u weigh 250 lbs u probably did burn that many

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    who are you disagreeing with? the machine, yourself, God?
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    sure. why not. there's really no way to know. i still wouldn't eat them all back but i prefer to be on the safe side
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    there's really no way to know.

Agree!

:-)
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    im on a treadmill incline between 10 an 15% walking 3.9-4.3 mph for 70 min and I burned 875 calories!! So if u weigh 250 lbs u probably did burn that many

How did you measure that?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »

You are brave. I didn't even have it in me to ask...
  • Justygirl77
    Justygirl77 Posts: 385 Member
    edited May 2015
    That's a hard workout, isn't it? I mean, weren't you sweating like crazy and breathing? I commend you for walking that fast for that long. Was it in intervals? Yes, I'd take the burn. And your metabolism will be stoked for a long time, like 12 hours. If you do another walk (it doesn't have to be at that intensity, though...just moderate) later today, you will have a 24hour burn going! Good job!
    How do you have your activity level set in goals? sedentary, active....?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    ceoverturf wrote: »

You are brave. I didn't even have it in me to ask...

Couldn't resist lol
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Are you using the reading from the machine???
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member

10-15% incline, 4 mph for 70 minutes. How did you manage that and not die? That's a pretty intense workout.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member

10-15% incline, 4 mph for 70 minutes. How did you manage that and not die? That's a pretty intense workout.

I couldn't do it without holding on, which, unfortunately pretty much defeats the purpose of jacking up the incline.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015

I couldn't do it without holding on, which, unfortunately pretty much defeats the purpose of jacking up the incline.

I was going to ask if she was holding on. At my old gym there were these two women who did pretty much that exact thing -- 15 incline at 4 mph for that long. They were both holding on the whole time.

Estimates I've read for how much that subtacts from the burn vary, but it's definitely not the same as if you weren't holding on.

In fact, I've only ever seen one person at that steep an incline (who wasn't doing just intervals) not holding on.

Not dissing holding on, if that's your thing, that's fine. Just don't think you're burning at the same rate you think you are. It's less intense a workout.

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited May 2015

Yeah. I'm 5'5" so 3.5 mph is a good speed for me, but even one hour at 9% incline (not holding to anything) leaves me totally exhausted. Still want to do 10% eventually, lol, but man.

ETA: assuming OP was answering that thread about whether it's possible to burn 1000 calories in less than 2 hours or something.
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    What exactly are you disagreeing with?? This seems like a response to an argument that no one is making.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Okay?
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

Yeah. I'm 5'5" so 3.5 mph is a good speed for me, but even one hour at 9% incline (not holding to anything) leaves me totally exhausted. Still want to do 10% eventually, lol, but man.

ETA: assuming OP was answering that thread about whether it's possible to burn 1000 calories in less than 2 hours or something.

Thank you, this may or may not be correct but it is nice to have some semblance of logic going on here!
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    And your metabolism will be stoked for a long time, like 12 hours. If you do another walk (it doesn't have to be at that intensity, though...just moderate) later today, you will have a 24hour burn going! Good job!
    Err Just No
  • forgtmenot
    forgtmenot Posts: 860 Member
    edited May 2015
    And your metabolism will be stoked for a long time, like 12 hours. If you do another walk (it doesn't have to be at that intensity, though...just moderate) later today, you will have a 24hour burn going! Good job!

Do what??

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    I have nothing to compare it to, but it doesn't seem too farfetched. The truth is in the pudding. The bathroom scale will move one way or the other.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    Yes OP. Sounds very accurate I think. If it's not perfect it's probably very close.
  • Kst76
    Kst76 Posts: 935 Member
    forgtmenot wrote: »

Do what??

Another walk.