exercise to cheat?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    it's usually just for a bottle of wine or two on a Saturday
    Not for nothing but that sounds like it might be ok on your diet and not so good for you in general.

So because she wants to enjoy something like that one night a week it's not good? I'd understand if someone drank a couple bottles every night, but there's nothing wrong with this. And I don't even drink.
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    If you're saving calories, or earning extra calories through exercise, so you can have extra sometimes it is not cheating. God I detest that word. Such negative connotations, like you're doing something 'naughty'.

I prefer "treat" to "cheat" for that very reason.
  • Neversettle78
    Neversettle78 Posts: 208 Member
    Food and I have an open relationship...so I wouldn't call it cheating exactly (haha). I eat within reason each day and if an opportunity presents itself in which I want to indulge a little, I do.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    It's not cheating

It's monitoring your calorie defecit across the week, and it's how I lost and maintain my weight

I'm not the same 'hungry' each day .. and some days I fancy going out to eat

Use the report on the app - weekly - it gives you how many calories you ate each day, average across the week and how many you have left to hit your defecit across the week and you can set it to a rolling 7 days

My one rule is not borrowing from the future though

I fully agree with all this but just a word of caution, depending which version of the app you are using, the weekly calculations are all messed up right now on ios6.1 so the math doesn't add up corrextly. It's really frustrating since I use this to balance my calories over the week, so I'm having to mentally add my deficits to see where I'm at on the weekend.

Also OP another vote for striking the word "cheat" from your vocabulary. Figure out a way to fit in the food, or the wine, that you love every day or on a weekly basis. Plan for it and it's not cheating.
  • fr3smyl
    fr3smyl Posts: 1,418 Member
    Food and I have an open relationship...so I wouldn't call it cheating exactly (haha). I eat within reason each day and if an opportunity presents itself in which I want to indulge a little, I do.

Love this :D
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    it's usually just for a bottle of wine or two on a Saturday
    Not for nothing but that sounds like it might be ok on your diet and not so good for you in general.

Wine is good for ya! *cheers*
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited May 2015
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    It's not cheating

It's monitoring your calorie defecit across the week, and it's how I lost and maintain my weight

Use the report on the app - weekly - it gives you how many calories you ate each day, average across the week and how many you have left to hit your defecit across the week and you can set it to a rolling 7 days

I fully agree with all this but just a word of caution, depending which version of the app you are using, the weekly calculations are all messed up right now on ios6.1 so the math doesn't add up corrextly. It's really frustrating since I use this to balance my calories over the week, so I'm having to mentally add my deficits to see where I'm at on the weekend.

Also OP another vote for striking the word "cheat" from your vocabulary. Figure out a way to fit in the food, or the wine, that you love every day or on a weekly basis. Plan for it and it's not cheating.

@kruggeri this I did not know - thank you for that

I haven't upgraded and refuse to so mine is still OK I think

I'm at a loss to understand why the PC version does not include the average figure and the total amount under stated goal
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Kruggeri wrote: »
    It's not cheating

@kruggeri this I did not know - thank you for that

I haven't upgraded and refuse to so mine is still OK I think

I'm at a loss to understand why the PC version does not include the average figure and the total amount under stated goal

It's totally ridiculous how badly they messed up the app with the latest release. I mean, simple math is not working. Not even close. And it's not like it is adding wrongly the same way every day. Some days it will say I'm 500 under my weekly deficit and the next day it will say I'm 800 over. So frustrating...

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Saving up calories for a fun night out is not a "cheat" any more than saving your Starbucks money for a new pair of shoes is theft.
  • yogeshvaraom
    yogeshvaraom Posts: 45 Member
    Here is a board discussion on another site discussing drinking a bottle or two of wine in a night. Obviously opinions differ...
    but it is something to consider....http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/956932-to-think-that-two-bottles-of-wine-per-person-is
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Saving up calories for a fun night out is not a "cheat" any more than saving your Starbucks money for a new pair of shoes is theft.

Well said!
  • rachaelewis
    rachaelewis Posts: 2 Member
    I have a cheat day once per week. I actually work harder and eat less calories and fat the day before and after. It has been working...I lost 14lbs in 40 days.....but I hardly EVER make my calorie goal any day because 1800 calories plus running 6 days a week (bumping up my ability to eat more calories...because I need them after 6 miles) gives me plenty of room. Hope this helps?
  • wizzybeth
    wizzybeth Posts: 3,573 Member
    I really hate the term "cheat". It is not a healthy way to look at eating. At all.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    If you cheat, you're only cheating yourself.

Vary your calories if you like throughout the week with some higher days and some lower days. But log and track everything. Always. Don't "cheat". It sets up an unhealthy approach to food, and taking a day off a week from logging is an excellent way to derail an entire week's worth of progress.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    It's really easy to undo a weekly deficit if you're careless on week ends, believe me (not that I'm speaking from experience or anything, lol). So log everything and log your exercise so you know how many calories you can go over.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Merkavar wrote: »
    How much is a cheat?

If you saved up a deficit of 3000 during the week then at 4k over on Saturday you going to go backwards.

Yeah, this was my thought too. It all comes down to whether or not you still have a deficit after the "cheat". If you do, you'll lose fat.

If you're "cheat" involves a lot of foods that you don't eat on other days you may experience bloating, which could make you look/feel like you didn't lose. So, probably best not to make your weigh in day right after this cheat.
  • turtles12
    turtles12 Posts: 12 Member
    i exercise to EAT .... not to CHEAT (nothing is off limits for me)

AWESOMENESS!!!!!
  • KBmoments
    KBmoments Posts: 193 Member
    What about reversing this? As in, you didn't 'save' up , but you did go out for dinner/drinks - can you then create that deficit the following 7 days? Let's say you went over by 1,000 calories, spreading that 1,000 over the next 7 days would be eating 142 calories less (or exercising to burn 142 more). Thoughts?
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    KBmoments wrote: »
    What about reversing this? As in, you didn't 'save' up , but you did go out for dinner/drinks - can you then create that deficit the following 7 days? Let's say you went over by 1,000 calories, spreading that 1,000 over the next 7 days would be eating 142 calories less (or exercising to burn 142 more). Thoughts?

Yes, it definitely works both ways. As long as you're averaging a deficit over time, you will still lose weight.

Our bodies are amazing :smile:
  • sandryc79
    sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
    The OP didn't ask for a critique of how much wine she drinks. She is a grown up so let's leave that to her.

I think "banking" weekly calories is absolutely fine. Lots of people do it and it has been a part of Weight Watchers plans for a long time now.