New Trainers Advice

Options
Gemzzz12
Gemzzz12 Posts: 42 Member
I'm wanting to buy new trainers as my current ones don't give my feet very good support for outdoor running. I want them for mainly road running but occasional trail running and also for them to be waterproof. Alot of trainers I have seen seem to be meshed.. Any advice on getting good trainers within a reasonable price range?

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I LOVE how my New Balance feel, but they have that mesh and aren't for rain! (Washington). I'm sure they have them without the mesh. As far as price, I found Amazon the most affordable.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Can I jump on this and ask for advice on what to buy if you're most walking, wanting to start running/training for a 5k? Cross trainers? running shoes? walking? "classic"? I'm so confused.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Gemzzz12 wrote: »
    I'm wanting to buy new trainers as my current ones don't give my feet very good support for outdoor running. I want them for mainly road running but occasional trail running and also for them to be waterproof. Alot of trainers I have seen seem to be meshed.. Any advice on getting good trainers within a reasonable price range?

Well what I find good running shoes may not in anyway be suitable for you. It seems you want a swiss army knife of shoes which doesn't really exist. I wouldn't advise going for waterproof (goretex) ones you'll find your feet may get hot and in wet weather all that happens is water goes over the top of the waterproofing and your running in shoes full of water. I run in wet and cold all the time as long as the shoes drain well your feet stay warm. Even in snow I have very little issue with mesh trail shoes.

Find a good local shop where they can give you more specific advise to your requirements and take into account your gait etc.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you REALLY need to go to a running store and let them do their thing and set you up in the pair thats right for YOU.

whats right for any of US.... and we all probably wear something DIFFERENT.... may not be right for YOU.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Gemzzz12 wrote: »

Go to a running store that has good ratings for knowledgable staff (that actually run themselves). They can evaluate your running style and propose good shoes for you. Reasonable is subjective. For me, avoiding injury is worth the cost (we pay for doctor visits in the US).

Also waterproof is not necessarily a good thing as it will hold in moisture as well. Depending on your mileage, that could cause a lot of issues.