I dont know what type of foods to eat.

Options

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Wish people, would stop telling people to eat whatever. You cant eat just ben and jerrys and only drink coke

@walkonfire5 NO ONE here is telling anyone to just eat Ben and Jerry's and only drink Coke.

Everyone is suggesting you eat all foods in moderation.
    Actually, I can see why several folks' posts could be interpreted that way. IIFYC seems to be the motto of this thread. That said, I KNOW based on a million of these threads, that that's not what they MEAN. But several people did say eat whatever you want (variously stated) as long as it's under the calorie goal.
    I'm of the mind that "eat whatever you want" have become as meaningless as so many other DIET words (clean eating etc.) have. cheers

how on earth would ever conflate "eat whatever you want" with ben and jerry's all day?

I didn't.

But nice use of "conflate" in a sentence. :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Wish people, would stop telling people to eat whatever. You cant eat just ben and jerrys and only drink coke

@walkonfire5 NO ONE here is telling anyone to just eat Ben and Jerry's and only drink Coke.

Actually, I can see why several folks' posts could be interpreted that way. IIFYC seems to be the motto of this thread. That said, I KNOW based on a million of these threads, that that's not what they MEAN. But several people did say eat whatever you want (variously stated) as long as it's under the calorie goal.
    I'm of the mind that "eat whatever you want" have become as meaningless as so many other DIET words (clean eating etc.) have. cheers

'Eat whatever you want' doesn't mean only eat Ben & Jerry's. Anyone with common sense should know that.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    Ditto on what everyone is saying about weighing or measuring food. Look at the nutrition label on a jar of peanut butter and note that it gives a serving size in "tablespoons" and "grams". With a food like peanut butter, it's more accurate to weigh it on a food scale, because we all have a different idea of what a tablespoon of food looks like, right?. With an actual weight in grams, it is much more accurate, especially with a calorie-dense food like peanut butter. While I hate to get all preachy on you, I would suggest you keep your diet simple whole foods, rather than protein bars or other processed foods. There is a tendency to believe that these bars have some magical quality for people trying to lose weight, but they are, in fact, just a means for the big food corporations to cash in on vulnerable people (like myself) who are trying to get more fit. An apple and a hard-boiled egg will be more satisfying than a chocolate protein bar -- and better for your overall health. Also suggest you do some reading on weight-loss and diets from reputable sources. You will find a lot of opinion in the MFP community, some more sane than others, if you know what I mean...

Says who?

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015
    Options

'Eat whatever you want' doesn't mean only eat Ben & Jerry's. Anyone with common sense should know that.

I didn't say it did.

These posts are quite a shift for you! What courses are you taking now?
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I gonna have to go out on a limb here and side with the strawman. :) I don't think it's a good idea to suggest to someone to eat whatever they want or to continue to eat what ever they've been eating without first knowing the type of foods that they have been eating first. I didn't get to be 100 pounds over weight because I was eating too many green beans. I 'll be honest I ate crap. Fast food, cokes, popcorn every night. I have no one to blame but myself for diabetes, high colesterol, and 100 pounds to lose. Telling me to half of the big Mac.....it's still a big Mac and there better choices out there. All Im saying is that we need to avoid the blanket statements until we find out further information about the OPs lifestyle.
  • bambione
    bambione Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing this for a month, so I'm fairly new. I ate crap before, so I knew if I just cut back it wouldn't work for me. I can't control myself with the potato chips and dip. I have been inputting everything I eat, and paying attention to the recommended nutrients. I'm really trying to eat more fiber and drink more water. I noticed I'm eating less processed food because it's loaded with sodium. If I really crave something I would have some, but that hasn't happened. I'm amazed at how full I can be on 1310 calories a day. I do find its hard to find healthy food when I'm running around doing errands and I'm hungry. So I try to have a snack with me so I'm not tempted by Costco pizza. I don't want a lot of calories just cuz I'm hungry, a special treat is something else! Good luck with everything.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    .....ohhh Costco pizza....yummie!!! :)
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

how on earth would ever conflate "eat whatever you want" with ben and jerry's all day? You know that is a ridiculous straw man argument….

I am pretty sure the posters in this thread said eat what you currently eat, just less of it, or some variant of that.

and I have yet to come across a person that has a diet comprised of 100% ben and jerrys….

I would eat ice cream all day if I could eat whatever I wanted.

Just sayin'
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    I gonna have to go out on a limb here and side with the strawman. :) I don't think it's a good idea to suggest to someone to eat whatever they want or to continue to eat what ever they've been eating without first knowing the type of foods that they have been eating first. I didn't get to be 100 pounds over weight because I was eating too many green beans. I 'll be honest I ate crap. Fast food, cokes, popcorn every night. I have no one to blame but myself for diabetes, high colesterol, and 100 pounds to lose. Telling me to half of the big Mac.....it's still a big Mac and there better choices out there. All Im saying is that we need to avoid the blanket statements until we find out further information about the OPs lifestyle.

You neglected the key phrase which is eat whatever you want in moderation Aka your calorie goal...
  • ndj1979
    Options

how on earth would ever conflate "eat whatever you want" with ben and jerry's all day? You know that is a ridiculous straw man argument….

I am pretty sure the posters in this thread said eat what you currently eat, just less of it, or some variant of that.

and I have yet to come across a person that has a diet comprised of 100% ben and jerrys….

I would eat ice cream all day if I could eat whatever I wanted.

Just sayin'

I eat whatever I want and ice cream all day does not happen..
  • ndj1979
    edited May 2015
    Options

I didn't say it did.

Hmmm yes you did and then you edited your p

how on earth would ever conflate "eat whatever you want" with ben and jerry's all day?

I didn't.

So you agreed with the straw man post but that is not what you meant??? Hmmmm ok..
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015
    Options

I didn't say it did.

I didn't.

So you agreed with the straw man post but that is not what you meant??? Hmmmm ok..

Not what I edited. But nice try. And PS no, no straw man in my posts. But again, nice try.

• ndj1979
    Options

I didn't say it did.

I didn't.

Not what I edited. But nice try.

it was a typo, as I thought you did and accidentally hit post.

so, you agree with the straw man post but that is not what you meant…?? Ok…

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015
    Options

I didn't say it did.

I didn't.

Not what I edited. But nice try.

it was a typo, as I thought you did and accidentally hit post.

so, you agree with the straw man post but that is not what you meant…?? Ok…

Nope. NO straw man in my posts. Neither implied, nor intended. Neither original, nor edited.

But again, good try.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

I didn't say it did.

Yes, you did. You are suggesting that that is what it means to some people.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I didn't say it did.

Not quite.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I didn't say it did.

Not quite.

Oh goodness. You either have dementia or enjoy playing dumb.

Wow. So this is the new FatFreeFrolicking? insulting with no substance? I'm disappointed.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited May 2015
    Options

I didn't say it did.

Not quite.

Wow. So this is the new FatFreeFrolicking? insulting with no substance? I'm disappointed.

Assuming you are literate and not blind, you can read back to the first post you wrote to me which clearly states some people think 'eat whatever you want' means only eat Ben & Jerry's :)

Here's my actual POST. Glance at the BOLD

Very unpleasant new FatFreeFrolicking. What happened? I am illiterate, blind, have dementia? is this really the approach you want to take? I used to respect your gumption.

cheers and good night.
  • bhawk102
    bhawk102 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I disagree with eating what you usually eat but in moderation or less of it. The key isn't just about losing weight, but also adjusting to more natural and healthier foods. Here's a challenge for you, go to the grocery store and see how many things you can find that don't have corn syrup or HFCS in them (If you are outside the US then you are good in this regard).

But a lot of "foods" out there offer no real nutritional value. The "maple" syrups you see on the shelves from like Log Cabin and Aunt Jemima are not even maple syrup, it's just corn syrup with maple flavoring. It doesn't matter if you eat less of it or smaller bits of it, it doesn't do jack for you at all. Cut down on sugars, go organic but research about the company as well, and check ingredients. If there's mystery ingredients or chemicals avoid it. There's a lot of junk food and garbage food in America for the sake of mass production and cheapness. If you avoid those types of foods and shift to an all natural and organic diet you will definitely lose some weight and also support smaller companies trying to make things better in the process. Win win
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options

I didn't say it did.

Not quite.

Assuming you are literate and not blind, you can read back to the first post you wrote to me which clearly states some people think 'eat whatever you want' means only eat Ben & Jerry's :)

Here's my actual POST. Glance at the BOLD

Very unpleasant new FatFreeFrolicking. What happened? I am illiterate, blind, have dementia? is this really the approach you want to take? I used to respect your gumption.

cheers and good night.

Seriously, why do so many threads on here seem to devolve into arguments and insults? It's one thing to disagree about the topic at hand, passionately even, but this whole name calling childishness is truly sad.