1500 calories at 198 pounds?

Options
2»

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    allyphoe wrote: »
    If you aren't weighing every day and tracking the trend, you may not be able to tell if you're losing weight. I had a stretch last month where I got an outlier low weight at the beginning and didn't see a lower number on the scale for a full month. Calculated trend showed I lost two pounds over that period, which was consistent with my eating during that period.

OP, it's easy peasy to see your weight trend now you have a Fitbit. Just sync your account at http://trendweight.com

Unlike MFP's "in 5 weeks" nonsense, Trendweight accurately predicts when you'll reach your goal weight. It shows your trend without the "noise" from water weight. And it's free. (It also syncs with Withings.)
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Mrs_K_ wrote: »
    Will I still be able to lose weight eating 1500 calories at 198 pounds and 5'6? I started this at 279 pounds and I have at 1500 calories for the entire duration. I slipped for a month or so and got back up to 205. In the last couple of weeks I have went back down to 198 and now I'm stuck again. I actually seem to be gaining. I am ready to give up and I'm not quite sure what to do. I tried to drop down to 1200 calories but found myself binge eating when I drop that low. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Yes, you will lose on 1500 calories. How fast depends on your TDEE.

I'm 5'6, 165lbs and I eat around 1700 to lose about an lb per week. Maitenence (aka my TDEE) is around 2200-2300 depending on how many hours I work that week (I have an active job, so a week off means less calories to play with unless I up my exercise, but the TDEE method still seems to work better for me than NEAT).

Basically, go about this one of two ways: change your goals in MFP around and see how much you would lose at 1500 cals per day (I think if I'd been eating 1500 when I was in the 190s, I would have been running better than a 1000 calorie a day deficit, so over the 2lb per week mark). I do recommend if you're going to do the MFP route that you use a few calculators to get an accurate picture of what your BMR is (what you would burn if you were in a coma, basically) and to make sure you're netting above that number on a regular basis. Eating below your BMR can create some health issues long term, but the odd day below it certainly won't kill you. So basically, if MFP sets your goal below your BMR, evaluate if you really need to lose weight that quickly, or could back off by 0.5lbs per week.

Second route: is to determine your TDEE, and the cut by a percentage. 20% is considered "aggressive" weight loss. Someone else has provided you some links above on that.