calorie counting =weight loss???

Options

Replies

• chutik
    chutik Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible. But remember calories are different. Having 180 from a snickers bar or 180 from some almonds will break down in your body differently. Try and mind your processed intake and it will help tons! Good luck
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    tiarajj08 wrote: »
    I'm curious to know has anyone lost weight just by calorie counting???? I developed a habit of moving lol so I will just like to know if that can actually happen? Share stories!!!

Yep-lost almost 60lbs by counting calories and eating at a calorie deficit. I've been successfully maintaining the loss for around 2 years now.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    I think it's more complicated than that.

Weight loss can be much more complicated than we think. Everyone's physiology is different. Consider if a person has health issues, is going through stress, recovering from an injury, etc.-- counting cals is going to yield different results for them versus a person with good health. At the end of the day, you have to raise your resting metabolic rate. No amount of huffing and puffing on the treadmill combined with caloric restriction is going to guarantee weight loss, because you aren't going to continue burning the same amount of calories once you get off the treadmill. It's a slow, steady process.

Counting calories helps me, but I have to factor in my PCOS and stress in order to gauge how successful I will be at any given time.

I can't figure out how what you said means anything. The composition of your diet (which your PCOS would possibly dictate) has nothing to do with counting calories/eating at an energy deficit for what particular foods you eat.

You talk about raising your RMR like it's super easy to do. Do you know how long it takes to build muscle? Even then, it's not adding overmuch to your RMR.

As for treadmill workout afterburn? I think you're grossly overestimating its effect and duration.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    You can't outrun a bad diet.

You keep using that phrase. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Yeah, I have to admit, I'm slightly confused by this....what do you mean by 'bad diet'? In terms of CICO, it is totally possible to outrun a bad diet. Are you trying to say that if you don't eat a balanced diet and hit your macros and make sure that your body has all the nutrients it needs then no amount of exercise will compensate for that? I've seen you use this phrase many times and I'm curious.

I think it's an overused term as well, but to me in means to eat in a way that benefits your weight and nutritional goals. Of course you can lose weight on what some might consider a bad diet, just as you can gain weight on what others would consider a good diet. Weight loss is 100% calories in/calorie out, nutrition is macros and the type of foods we choose to eat.

I want to eat in a way that keeps my energy levels high enough to be able to properly fuel my body for my workouts.

I think bad diet is in the perception. A lot of people might look at my diary and think I've got the most horrible diet in the world, but it works for me. I love my carbs, which includes something sweet each day. I run and weight lift and move a lot and my food gives me energy to do what I need/want to do. When I've eaten what others might consider a good diet, I've found myself low on energy, and then my workouts suffer, which leads to my calorie deficit or maintenance amount being sacrificed.

Oh, and by the way, I gained most of my weight on what would be considered a good diet- little fast food, lots of vegetables and fruits, no desert type foods. :)

Yeah, the phrase "bad diet" is entirely subjective. I've had vegetarians friend me because I have what they consider to be a good diet, but if a Paleo person looked at my dairy and beans diet with a treat at the end of the day, they'd probably do some serious pearl clutching.

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the phrase "bad diet" is entirely subjective. I've had vegetarians friend me because I have what they consider to be a good diet, but if a Paleo person looked at my dairy and beans diet with a treat at the end of the day, they'd probably do some serious pearl clutching.

Are pearls paleo? :)
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    No, counting calories does not equal weight loss. Eating at a calorie deficit equals weight loss. Counting calories is just a method by which you can tell whether you are eating less than you burn or not.

This.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Worked for me.

Lost 58 lbs, got pregnant (kept counting) and gained a healthy weight, and now at 15 weeks I've lost all but .8 lbs of that.

I log everyday, maintain a calorie deficit (except when I was pregnant), get some exercise and I lose weight.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    segacs wrote: »

I tend to think so, at least if you follow a broad definition of "shellfish". If I'm not mistaken, what are presumed to be shell beads have been found on Stone Age sites.

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 35+ pounds by changing my diet. Removed added sugars and processed foods. Ate salads and lean meats - or seafood. No sweets unless it was a fruit. I was eating 3 large Haas avocados a day plus salads with lean meats. Morning was eggs and avocado. I would have to say the last 20# required being more cognizant of Calories In - but I was extremely active throughout. Never felt deprived. Feel reborn. You can't outrun a bad diet.

Will never go back to what I did. All that I do is a program. Quantity/Quality of the Calorie plus Programmed Training - it's the only way to fly.

Everyone loses weight when they follow a plan that creates a calorie deficit. Congratulations on your success, but by no means is it "the only way to fly."
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

I tend to think so, at least if you follow a broad definition of "shellfish". If I'm not mistaken, what are presumed to be shell beads have been found on Stone Age sites.

You are not at all mistaken :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    it works if you put yourself in a calorie deficit.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Yeah, I have to admit, I'm slightly confused by this....what do you mean by 'bad diet'? In terms of CICO, it is totally possible to outrun a bad diet. Are you trying to say that if you don't eat a balanced diet and hit your macros and make sure that your body has all the nutrients it needs then no amount of exercise will compensate for that? I've seen you use this phrase many times and I'm curious.

i am assuming that he means you can't outrun a calorie surplus…so in this case bad diet = surplus ….I think ...
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

i am assuming that he means you can't outrun a calorie surplus…so in this case bad diet = surplus ….I think ...

I think he means that you can't outrun a bad diet in terms of diet quality. Which is not what the phrase means.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

You are not at all mistaken :)

Thank you for confirming that the steel trap hasn't rusted quite as badly as I'd feared!

• ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

I think he means that you can't outrun a bad diet in terms of diet quality. Which is not what the phrase means.

if he means that then yes, he is dead wrong….
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

Doesn't it mean that you need to look at your food first then exercise. As in you can exercise till your blue in the face but it's pointless if your eating too much.
  • tiarajj08
    tiarajj08 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm confused byou mean by "just by calorie counting"?

I count calories to lose weight. Sure I'm more active now, but that has the nice positive of being able to eat more and still lose weight. I did lose some weight with just counting calories during my recovery from my last c-section, but as soon as I got the "ok" from my doctor I started working out again.

I was saying counting calories like how we do on mfp without any exercise. Portioning your meals and eating every 3 hours. Will that still help with weight lost with no exercise?
  • kami3006
    kami3006 Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can lose weight by just creating a calorie deficit by counting your calories. Exercise is great for fitness and for even gaining some extra calories but not a requirement for weight loss.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    tiarajj08 wrote: »
    I'm confused byou mean by "just by calorie counting"?

I count calories to lose weight. Sure I'm more active now, but that has the nice positive of being able to eat more and still lose weight. I did lose some weight with just counting calories during my recovery from my last c-section, but as soon as I got the "ok" from my doctor I started working out again.

I was saying counting calories like how we do on mfp without any exercise. Portioning your meals and eating every 3 hours. Will that still help with weight lost with no exercise?

Yes, to counting calories and using mfp; no, to eating every three hours.