Hello everyone! (Help!)

Options
BritBoogaloo
BritBoogaloo Posts: 67 Member
edited May 2015 in Introduce Yourself
I've been using MFP for a week and a half and I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm a 31 year old female, 176 cm tall (5'9) and in eight years I've had some whopping weight gain. In 2007 I weighed 68 kg (150 pounds). I know I've been gaining lots of weight but I work in a tough job and kept on making excuses as to why I couldn't exercise or eat well until it became a deeply ingrained habit.

I've been avoiding the scales for the last 2 years and finally had the courage to buy scales and stand on them on the weekend. I now weigh 96.1 kg (212 pounds). It was a shocking revelation and I'm really disappointed in myself for letting myself gain this much. But I know I really now need to do something about this and turn my life around.

I've joined the gym and am going to be doing weekly weigh-ins for myself. I've never done weights before but I'm going to be doing Body Pump classes 3 times a week to learn how to lift weights properly. I'm also going to start jogging again 3 days a week and am in my second week of the couch to 5K now, which I'm doing outside using an app on my phone.

I am religiously tracking and logging everything I eat, including condiments, salt, pepper and gum even though it makes no calorie difference. I bought a set of kitchen scales and I have been weighing everything and logging correct weights before eating anything. Prepping my meals in advance for the last 12 days really helps me see how much money I have been wasting buying lunches and takeout as well!

I know I have a long way to go in losing all this weight and I expect this is going to take me well into next year. I'm setting myself a realistic weight loss goal of 0.5 kg (1 pound) a week, rather than attempt to rush it.

I know I'm really motivated now but I'm so terrified I'll let something slip and fall back into bad habits in a few weeks. If anyone can offer tips or advice in this regard, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll also open my food diary so if anyone can offer me feedback, I'd appreciate that also!

Anyway, lovely to meet you all from a dedicated newbie. :)

Replies

• iamsmara
    iamsmara Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Welcome! And may I say kudos to such a sensible approach to weight loss... I am also in the .5 pounds a week weight loss camp, as I have given myself a year until my next birthday to lose 12 kilos... all the best and I hope MFP will help you achieve all your fitness goals :)
  • praksindiafit
    praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Good going.. the point is you have started and get going.. dont let the fear set in.. and dont stress about it.. yes 0.5 kg is a good approach for start..which u can increase later as per progress.. feel free to add me.. we are all in it together.. we can do it.
  • BritBoogaloo
    Options
    Thanks so much, guys! Something must be working because I've lost 1kg this week! Yay! That's double what MyFitnessPal told me I'd lose, but then again I haven't been logging my exercise so maybe that's why.

Also, I've decided to get a personal trainer so I can properly do weights. She made me lift so much yesterday! Super sore today, haha.
  • Big_Poppa_J
    Big_Poppa_J Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like not logging exercise. If I do then I think I can eat a whole mess more. Better to just stick with a sensible calorie goal for the day and get a higher deficit by working out. Though some work out days it gets hard not to eat a little more :-P
  • BritBoogaloo
    Options
    I just wanted to quickly check in! It's now been 5 weeks for me and I've lost 3 kg (6.6 pounds).

I'm pretty happy with everything so far- the only frustrating thing is over the last couple of days I've been running into a lot of friends and family who have been telling me that they have lost 4-5 kg recently without even trying! I felt like saying: "guys, I've been working my butt off and I've only lost 3!!" But I don't. I've accepted that this is going to be a long journey for me and I just have to keep reminding myself to be patient.

I've been taking progress pictures and I thought I'd share one with you. The one on the left is me when I first started (1 May) The picture on the right is one month later (1 June). What do you guys think? Can you see any differences? :)ke7j88h1pt1p.jpg
  • larsunrise16
    larsunrise16 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Wow, keep up the great work!
  • BritBoogaloo
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Checking in again! I guess I'm using this thread now as a sort of "progress diary" now!

It's been 8 weeks now and I have now lost 6.1 kg (13.5 pounds). Really happy with my results so far and people are starting to notice now, which is great! I've also hit a lot of my goals- I'm now under 200 US pounds and can fit into my AU size 12 jeans for the first time in a year and a half! What a great feeling.

If anyone wants to be friends, feel free to send a request! I always like new friends to motivate and to help motivate me on my journey.

Progress pics (week 1 vs week 8) below:

uymymsacssne.png
    g1z2ueljs3y5.png
  • TuffGong21
    TuffGong21 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    well done! keep up the great work!
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for a week and a half and I just wanted to say hi and introduce myself.

I'm a 31 year old female, 176 cm tall (5'9) and in eight years I've had some whopping weight gain. In 2007 I weighed 68 kg (150 pounds). I know I've been gaining lots of weight but I work in a tough job and kept on making excuses as to why I couldn't exercise or eat well until it became a deeply ingrained habit.

I've been avoiding the scales for the last 2 years and finally had the courage to buy scales and stand on them on the weekend. I now weigh 96.1 kg (212 pounds). It was a shocking revelation and I'm really disappointed in myself for letting myself gain this much. But I know I really now need to do something about this and turn my life around.

I've joined the gym and am going to be doing weekly weigh-ins for myself. I've never done weights before but I'm going to be doing Body Pump classes 3 times a week to learn how to lift weights properly. I'm also going to start jogging again 3 days a week and am in my second week of the couch to 5K now, which I'm doing outside using an app on my phone.

I am religiously tracking and logging everything I eat, including condiments, salt, pepper and gum even though it makes no calorie difference. I bought a set of kitchen scales and I have been weighing everything and logging correct weights before eating anything. Prepping my meals in advance for the last 12 days really helps me see how much money I have been wasting buying lunches and takeout as well!

I know I have a long way to go in losing all this weight and I expect this is going to take me well into next year. I'm setting myself a realistic weight loss goal of 0.5 kg (1 pound) a week, rather than attempt to rush it.

I know I'm really motivated now but I'm so terrified I'll let something slip and fall back into bad habits in a few weeks. If anyone can offer tips or advice in this regard, I'd really appreciate it.

I'll also open my food diary so if anyone can offer me feedback, I'd appreciate that also!

Anyway, lovely to meet you all from a dedicated newbie. :)

Welcome. Sounds like you're on the right track. I'll add you. My diary is open as well.