Anti inflammatory diet

I am here to track my progress on my anti inflammatory diet. I know this seems like a place primarily for weight loss and portion control, I am here to clean my insides and rid myself of acne. I hope I am at the right place. I am no stranger to life style changes, but the moodiness of my skin has made me vow to keep this diet for at least 6 months in order to see a real significant difference. I've done palo, gluten free, vegetarian and vegan, but never stuck, or saw a real significant difference in my skin. Took accutane a year ago with minimal success. I am here to help anyone suffering with skin ailments who want relief through diet, we are all in this together. Not sure how to use this yet ☺️

Replies

• Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    I'm curious to hear more about this! I've struggled with bad acne the last year or two...which of course got much worse when I upped my exercise. I'm vegetarian, don't know much about an "anti-inflammatory" diet. I've heard cauliflower is good but beyond that, what does it consist of?
  • mianineteen87
    mianineteen87 Posts: 112 Member
    Awesome! Yes! I have done Everything to clear my skin and I have had success over extended periods of time but it always finds its way back into my life! I love communities like this where you can learn from many different people and build an informed decision (:

Ok, so this diet is pretty precise and I am still studying it. Overall it cuts out food that inflames certain parts of the body, either gut, liver etc. On a biological level it's pretty damn fascinating. Do you eat bread? Highly inflammatory, even sprouted wheat which is easier for the gut to digest. I am doing this diet cold turkey lol, literally throwing out all my bread and starting a clean slate tomorrow.

I don't consume sugar either, no caffeine and no dairy. Caffeine stresses the body out and is shown to effect hormone levels putting your body on overdrive, triggering that fight or flight response firing up your adrenal glands, pumping out cortisol which causes the skins oil production to freak out, this beautiful bumps occur on our faces. I love coffee, but it's something I gave up completely a year ago. You may know all this, I just want to help people. (:

I will post the list I am compiling of the good and bad foods for this diet. It is going to be hard, but I've got nothing to loose!
  • glassberry
    glassberry Posts: 1 Member
    do you have a link to the diet?
  • mianineteen87
    I'm trying to find the main article I was just reading!
  • mianineteen87
    Here is a pretty good list, it's not complete yet but hope this helps!
  • mianineteen87

• mianineteen87
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,902 Member
    Lol, Asians have one of the longest lifespans and eat so many of the "pro inflammatory" foods listed. The diet is more of a marketing ploy than actually a plan that impedes inflammation in the general population. Unless one is suffering from serious chronic or systematic inflammation, the diet is just a restricted way of eating.
    Incidentally, inflammation isn't always a bad thing. Muscles inflame when you exercise them. Without inflammation, one wouldn't be aware of injury or infection.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • mianineteen87

ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, Asians have one of the longest lifespans and eat so many of the "pro inflammatory" foods listed. The diet is more of a marketing ploy than actually a plan that impedes inflammation in the general population. Unless one is suffering from serious chronic or systematic inflammation, the diet is just a restricted way of eating.
    Incidentally, inflammation isn't always a bad thing. Muscles inflame when you exercise them. Without inflammation, one wouldn't be aware of injury or infection.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Well, that is your bias. It might be restricting to you, but a lifestyle for another. Or should I say, life saver.

I don't need condescending comments on here please. I am not here to sway anyone's opinion. I know that I have personally seen a direct correlation to the improvement in my acne lesions from cutting certain foods out of my diet.

Now if that is not proof, then I am not sure what is.

And you even said it "Unless one is suffering from serious chronic or systematic inflammation, the diet is just a restrictive way of eating". Acne is chronic, acne is systematic inflammation. It is an auto immune disorder.

• mianineteen87
    Asians also have acne haha.
  • scottacular
    scottacular Posts: 597 Member
    That all sounds like a whole load of super hippy rubbish, but at least it has you able to eat plenty of nutritious food. I just don't think being told certain food is forbidden is healthy and any skin problems you have are likely to be as a result of something that isn't anything to do with what you eat. But, I could be wrong in your case - every body is different and responds to different things in different ways. Have you ever thought of trying coconut oil on your skin? As well as a great cooking oil you can cover yourself in it. I hope this works for you.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    My skin improved immensely.... When I started eating a diet in moderation, no Restrictions, no worrying that something was "bad" or "unhealthy", and no stress or guilt about eating "clean"
  • mianineteen87
    That all sounds like a whole load of super hippy rubbish, but at least it has you able to eat plenty of nutritious food. I just don't think being told certain food is forbidden is healthy and any skin problems you have are likely to be as a result of something that isn't anything to do with what you eat. But, I could be wrong in your case - every body is different and responds to different things in different ways. Have you ever thought of trying coconut oil on your skin? As well as a great cooking oil you can cover yourself in it. I hope this works for you.

Done it all. That's only topical, it's a systemic problem, it comes from within. You'd have to be struggling with it from a day to day to really want to try this.

I mean think about it, all of that processed stuff and what not, leaky gut syndrome. If you can eliminate or "forbid" yourself from this toxic stuff, I wouldn't see how harmful that would be. All of those toxins and build up in the body is displaying itself through the skin, as our largest organ.

Then how must we explain acne or other skin ailments when people who eat crap still have perfect skin? Their cell turn over rate is quicker and they do not have those imbalances. It's very biological. I got rid of my ezcema from cleaning up my diet three years ago and it's back with vengeance. And I need to go to bed haha.

But yes, to each its own.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
    And you even said it "Unless one is suffering from serious chronic or systematic inflammation, the diet is just a restrictive way of eating". Acne is chronic, acne is systematic inflammation. It is an auto immune disorder.
    Actually it's the other way around. Acne can be a "result" if one is suffering from systematic inflammation. People die from systematic inflammation. They don't die because they suffer from acne.
    Again, don't know why you're taking it so personally. Your information gets questioned and you respond with hostility.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Asians also have acne haha.
    Strawman argument. If you're happy with that diet, then more power to you. Point I was making is that it's unnecessary to follow unless one is suffering from a systematic or chronic inflammation diagnosis. It's good for people on a public forum to know actual correct information so they don't spend excess money or go through dieting programs that don't apply to them.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• mianineteen87
    Never personally just want to help, you came across weird in your first post. I just get sick of personal trainers and what not thinking they know everything. And you came across just like that. So I jumped on it.

This is not acne.org, just thought I'd find more info about this diet. But from looks of it I'll probably leave since its mostly weight loss and everyone's so skeptic. It may have been helpful to lay out my ground work, what Hasn't worked in the past. Why would people waste money when I haven't tried to sell anything, I'm just making convo.

But from the looks of it, it comes down to diet. What else, if it were environmental more people would suffer. I dunno.
  • ninerbuff

Done it all. That's only topical, it's a systemic problem, it comes from within. You'd have to be struggling with it from a day to day to really want to try this.

I mean think about it, all of that processed stuff and what not, leaky gut syndrome. If you can eliminate or "forbid" yourself from this toxic stuff, I wouldn't see how harmful that would be. All of those toxins and build up in the body is displaying itself through the skin, as our largest organ.

Then how must we explain acne or other skin ailments when people who eat crap still have perfect skin? Their cell turn over rate is quicker and they do not have those imbalances. It's very biological. I got rid of my ezcema from cleaning up my diet three years ago and it's back with vengeance. And I need to go to bed haha.

But yes, to each its own.
    We don't have "toxins" in us. Foods we eat aren't toxic UNLESS the dosage amount exceeds what is safe (which is rare or else it's be deemed a poison). Water can be TOXIC if intake is exceeded in the body.
    You're reading into lots of pseudoscience. Many "natural" sites and links talk a lot of nonsense about "toxins" being ingested.
    NIAMS reports that kids that have eczema more than likely got it as a result of heredity (especially if parent(s) had an atopic disease) or environment. So YES usually ridding yourself from irritants can reduce your eczema and some of those irritants are food related.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • mianineteen87
    K I know so how do I delete.
  • mianineteen87
    Dude I know, I was just typing fast. Thanks for clarifying. Cleanses and stuff help to rid the body of toxins, either from alcohol consumption or processed foods. Yes. I think you like me, honestly.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Dude I know, I was just typing fast. Thanks for clarifying. Cleanses and stuff help to rid the body of toxins, either from alcohol consumption or processed foods. Yes. I think you like me, honestly.

No they don't. They just cleanse your bank account.
    You are grasping at straws and forming a load of beliefs based on pseudo science.

What helped my acne the most was sunshine.