Vegetarian Soup Recipes

Options
adriennel502
adriennel502 Posts: 72 Member
Anyone got some nice vegetarian soup recipes? Here in New Zealand we're heading into winter and I'd love some nice soups other than my standard ones to try.

Replies

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    The Greek red lentil soup from the Rebar cookbook is one of my favourites. Here's a blog that posted the recipe: Greek lentil soup. I prefer not to puree it, and I like to use tomato basil feta cheese if I can find it. Also, frying the onions in some balsamic vinegar is a nice addition.
  • adriennel502
    Options
    That sounds delicious!!! I shall definitely try it out on the weekend.
  • swift13b
    swift13b Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    The indian lentil cauliflower soup from the Oh She Glows cookbook is to die for!
  • ladyglamazon
    ladyglamazon Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite recipes is super easy and quick! Brown up an onion and some garlic. Dump in a bag of frozen peas, and add enough veggie stock to cover. Simmer for 15 minutes until teh peas are sofetened, and then puree with an immersion blender. Squeeze a bit of lemon over the top before serving. This soup also freezes well, if you want to make a big batch.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    All of these freeze beautifully!

Curry lentil:
    saute 1 large chopped onion, 4 minced garlic cloves, 2 chopped carrots until translucent. Add in 2.5T mild curry powder and toast for one min. Add in 8 cups of low sodium broth and 1lb of lentils, cook for about 2 hours until soft.

Split pea - do the exact same thing as above, but omit curry powder.

Spicy Tomato blue cheese soup - you can swap the broth for vegetarian broth and I like to swap out the cream for an equal amount of evaporated skim/2% milk.

Minestrone, again swap out the broth.

Carrot/Peanut Soup: Sauté one chopped onion, 2lbs chopped and peeled carrots (I use a 2lb bag of baby carrots and don't chop at all) until slightly browned. Add in 4 cloves minced garlic, 1/4t cayenne and sauté for a min. Mix 1/4 cup natural (creamy or chunky – your preference) peanut butter into the veggies until all are coated, then add in 1 quart stock. Simmer until carrots are soft and puree. Season (salt and pepper) as needed.

White bean soup
  • dargytaylor
    dargytaylor Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/crock-pot-minestrone-soup.html

It's still cool here in the North East of the US.....so this is for my dinner tomorrrow :)
  • jcash6
    jcash6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    love the minestrone!
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Apparently we all love the same minestrone recipe!
  • DebzNuDa
    DebzNuDa Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    (DebzNuDa) Lentil with Sweet Potato Soup

Servings 4

calories per serving 310

16 Ingredients

• 140.00 grams (1/4 cup), dry, Lentils (Red), Dry
    • 2.00 Tbsp (15ml), Classico Olive Oil Mild Taste
    • 8.00 g, Ginger Paste
    • 5.99 g (3 cloves), Garlic, Raw
    • 50.00 g, Raw Chopped Scallions
    • 1.00 tbsp, Spices-curry Powder
    • 6.00 oz(85g), Petite Baby Carrots
    • 200.00 g, Sweet Potato - Raw, Peeled
    • 0.67 cup, Lite Coconut Milk (Correct Nutritionals)
    • 0.90 cup (121g), Hunts Petite Diced Tomatoes 100% Natural
    • 4.00 cup, Water
    • 1.00 pepper (14g), Jalapeno Pepper, Raw
    • 100.00 g, Spinich, Raw 100g
    • 1.00 whole Lime, Whole Lime, Raw
    • 2.40 grams (1/4 tsp), Coarse Kosher Salt
    • 0.50 tsp (2g), Pure Ground Black Pepper

Nutrition Facts

Servings 4.0
    Amount Per Serving
    calories 310
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 11 g 16 %
    Saturated Fat 3 g 15 %
    Monounsaturated Fat 5 g
    Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g
    Trans Fat 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg 0 %
    Sodium 753 mg 31 %
    Potassium 498 mg 14 %
    Total Carbohydrate 45 g 15 %
    Dietary Fiber 10 g 39 %
    Sugars 10 g
    Protein 13 g 26 %
    Vitamin A 256 %
    Vitamin C 93 %
    Calcium 8 %
    Iron 29 %

I put them in Ziploc Freezers and just pull one out. Put it in the microwave and enjoy. I always have some Naan Bread. This is very filling and so yummy.
  • DebzNuDa
    Options
    One of my favourite recipes is super easy and quick! Brown up an onion and some garlic. Dump in a bag of frozen peas, and add enough veggie stock to cover. Simmer for 15 minutes until teh peas are sofetened, and then puree with an immersion blender. Squeeze a bit of lemon over the top before serving. This soup also freezes well, if you want to make a big batch.

That sounds great but I would also add some leeks. They are so good with peas.
  • adriennel502
    Options
    Wow, more recipes than I could hope for! Definitely going to book mark this and try all of them! (Just have to also mark a page with conversion tables for quarts and lbs - I don't know how you Americans cope without metric!!) LOL You guys have all been great - I'm eyeing up that spicy tomato and blue cheese soup for tonight. And for all of you - I LOVE this..

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/cauliflower-cheese-soup-2774
  • DebzNuDa
    Options
    I'm American but, I have to put everything I can by gram. Cups are worth nothing unless they are liquid. But that's just me.