Losing weight for my next triathlon

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
edited May 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Last Sunday I did my second triathlon and it was AWESOME! I freaking loved it. I did 1/8 tri in 1:10:30 (4 1/2 minute less than my target). In 5 weeks I will do my next tri, also 1/8. I want to shave a few minutes off that time, hopefully to about 1:05:00. Quite a big step to take, but I see many ways to win some time.

One way is to lose some weight. I was already losing some weight for this one, but now that I did one I feel even more motivated. I have other motivations to lose, looking better is also important to me, but improving my tri time is by far the strongest motivator. I am sure that this will help me lose a few kgs.

Anybody else motivated to lose weight in order to improve at your sport?

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I do the same - I'm currently dropping a few pounds from my normal maintenance weight to my "cycling weight" ahead of a 200km Audax event in June (which will be a PB for distance).

It's tough cutting when you are training hard as well.

I come back up to maintenance calories for the week before a big event. So I came off deficit last week ahead of a 160km Sunday ride so my energy levels were up. And now (sadly!) it's time to get back to a deficit.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm a keen runner; I've lost a lot of weight to improve my running times ... and the consistent running has helped the weight come down! It has been a "win / win" for me :-)
  • Seigla
    Seigla Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Cool! Those are very long distance cycling events! You don't want to carry excess weight the whole 200 kilometers! :wink:

And indeed it is a win / win - improving times is an excellent motivator and exercising is a good method as well!