Where to start with weights?

Options
I do regular indoor biking but want to start using weights at home. I can't afford gym membership and doing it from home means childcare isn't an issue. I work from home too so sometimes use a 30min at lunch time but prefer this break to be out walking the dog.

Where's best to start? Recommended online videos or DVDs to get me started? As for which weights to buy, I don't know where to start but know I'll need to build. I'm 5'1" and 10 stone 2lbs if that makes any difference.

Probably should have put this in the "exercise" forum but it can all get a bit complicated and not as general as over here.

Last thing (promise) I do stretch after biking so stuff like lunges, plank and basic Pilates stuff I remember from classes I went to pre-kids.

Thank you in advance.

Replies

• Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I do not have any advice to offer, but posting here as I will be following this thread, being in almost exactly the same boat as you. I look forward to reading responses.
  • neogramps
    neogramps Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Have you considered a bodyweight routine? With weights, you will only go so far before you have to invest in more gear or join a gym (you need to continue to add weight to progress).

With bodyweight, you can increase resistance by doing more advanced positions, and it would build on stuff you would already know from pilates etc. There's a great beginner routine with videos here: https://fitloop.co/ Do this 3 times a week and work up the progressions and you should see some great results.
  • megomerrett
    megomerrett Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link @neogramps I'll check it out. You're right about the kit involved so this sounds like a great idea.

Sound good to you @Soopatt?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I would start with bodyweight

this is excellent start http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

are you planning on a home gym or just getting some barbells / kettlebells?

• megomerrett
    Options
    Thanks @rabbitjb. I don't really have enough space for a home gym (the bike's in the dining room/office/crafting/laundry room) so it would be kettlebell / hand weights.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I'd start with the beginner's bodyweight from nerdfitness.. then add some weight gradually to it with your barbell / kettlebell .. then move on to advanced if you can (that's a tough routine)

over time you'll work out what else to do / where to move to

personally I like the gym .. but you have to find what you can manage
  • megomerrett
    Options
    Cheers. Yep, I have gymmed in the past but our local leisure centre got taken over by another company and prices went up. When my youngest is in school I might look at joining if I can get more hours of work in to pay for it.
  • LiftAndBalance
    LiftAndBalance Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    For bodyweight training, you can also look into Mark Lauren's 'Body By You', Al Kavadlo's stuff and Paul Wade's 'Convict Conditioning'.
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    I am going to follow those links and check it out. For me gym is not an affordability issue, it is more a case of me wanting to spend as much time at home with my partner as possible as I travel and work a lot as it is. I like the idea of working out while we are watching TV together as there is enough room in our bedroom for that.

I also really like that idea of doing it my own way in my own space. I would like to get creative with that.