1500 calorie intake, but burning about 400+ with exercise.

Options
HJC3rd
HJC3rd Posts: 3 Member
I've put myself on a 1500 calorie limit for an upcoming period of 11 weeks. This is a level that has worked for me before, but now I have a much more active exercise routine. The average activity burns about 400+ calories, which then puts my daily total at <1100 about 5x a week. Is this a healthy level, as I dont want to be burning muscle or doing myself any harm? Should I increase my intake to compensate (healthy parts of the food of course!) on days I do exercise?

Thanks!

Replies

• myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No, your NET calories need to be at least 1500 a day, not your GROSS. Eat more exercise calories back. Men simply need to eat more calories because of their mass and you are eating like a female trying to lose weight fast. You are doing damage to your body. You won't notice it now but you are going to feel worse and worse over time and have trouble keeping up this level.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    myfatass78 wrote: »
    No, your NET calories need to be at least 1500 a day, not your GROSS. Eat more exercise calories back. Men simply need to eat more calories because of their mass and you are eating like a female trying to lose weight fast. You are doing damage to your body. You won't notice it now but you are going to feel worse and worse over time and have trouble keeping up this level.

this

plus you need to fuel your body to exercise

plus how are you measuring your burns?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    1500 is low for a man unless you are very small.
    What was the suggested MFP calorie allowance (+ exercise calories) for a 1lb/week loss?

An excessive deficit is a great way to lose lean mass/muscle along with the fat I presume you actually want to lose. Bad idea.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    1,500 seems way too low for a male IMHO. What made you choose that number, other than it working in the past?