Most calories burned in a day

Options
Seigla
Seigla Posts: 172 Member
edited May 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I find it interesting to think about how many calories you can sometimes burn in a day. I don't know why, I guess I just like numbers. Anyways, during normal days I burn somewhere between 3000 and 4000 calories. My record for burning calories in a day is when I did a 210 kilometer bike ride a few years ago. I estimate that I burned about 7000 calories during that trip + 2000 base = 9000 calories for the whole day.

I am sure that some of you have much higher records. What is yours?

Replies

• yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    At my weight/fitness level, burning close to 800 calories through exercise is an exciting, and rare, occurrence. A 10 mile run achieved that. So on top of my usual daily calories, that's only 2,650. I feel pitiful :D:(
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I'm sure my biggest days coincide with my biggest races. So just over 6 hours of racing at 8ish cals per minute... is roughly 3000 cals, on top of my BMR puts me probably around 5000 cals for the day.
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Biggest burn in a single day was when I ran a marathon. I've done it 4 times now at different weights; First one took 6hrs 12 mins when I weighed 270lbs ..... 4 weeks ago I ran it in 4hrs 41mins at 203lbs. Those 2 "burns" vary between 5,212kcals and 3,106kcals.

Add that to my typical TDEE burn of around 2,000 gives me a max of just over 7,000
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    If I assume that I burn ~2000 calories a day just existing, then I hit 10,000 at my last Ironman (best calculation put me at ~8000 for the entire event)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Probably last summer's 34 mile hike. Took just under 11 hrs with a ridiculous amount of elevation changes. 6 more weeks until I do it again.
  • the_nerdgasm
    the_nerdgasm Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    About once a year, we like to hike Harney Peak. It's two or three hours up, and usually one or two coming down. Burns about 3000-4000 calories.

Of course, I let myself get too fat over this last year, and I didn't exercise at all until recently. Honestly not sure if I'll be able to go this year :(
  • butlersoft
    butlersoft Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    butlersoft wrote: »
    Biggest burn in a single day was when I ran a marathon. I've done it 4 times now at different weights; First one took 6hrs 12 mins when I weighed 270lbs ..... 4 weeks ago I ran it in 4hrs 41mins at 203lbs. Those 2 "burns" vary between 5,212kcals and 3,106kcals.

Add that to my typical TDEE burn of around 2,000 gives me a max of just over 7,000

Actually ..... thinking about it - you can't just add the calories burned during an event to what you typically burn in a day because I'd have burned some of those anyway ...

If I burn 2,000 just by existing, then I can divide this by 24 to give me an approximate 83.3kcals burned in an hour.

If a marathon takes 6 hours, then that means that 500 of the 5,212 would have been down to normal burn meaning that the event itself generated an additional 4,712

Total would therefore be 2,000 + 4,712 ;-)

Agree it isn't an exact science; there will be additional "after burn" at the end of the prolonged exercise etc .... but it is certainly an interesting topic :-)
  • fivelongmiles
    fivelongmiles Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I did a 20-mile charity walk (plus a few miles' walk either side) that I worked out as being about 1800 calories worth, but I was still a lot more muscular as I was just out of full-time training, so I've never reached that again because I'm lighter. In recent times, I've had all-day rehearsals I've calculated to be about 1200.

I'm hoping that with my rapidly-increasing fitness at the moment, I might make those sorts of numbers again without having to rehearse for 8 hours!
  • PAtinCO
    PAtinCO Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I did an 18 mile hike to Union Falls in Yellowstone last year. It included about 2000 feet of elevation gain over the out and back. I figure that at about 1700 calories, at most. Add that to TDEE and I probably burned 3500-4000 on the day.