A question for those in the know.

Options
Hi there,
Sorry if this is a longish post. Around a year ago I gradually decided to cut down my alcohol intake and eating of large amounts of junk food; I'm not sure if it was a bit of a mid-life crisis, vanity; fear of an untimely death or a combination of all. At first I just gradually cut alcohol intake and junk foods. A few months in, I found MFP and began logging and seriously losing weight; for a couple of months in I went stupidly low on intake. (but I was seeing good results) and getting a buzz from my changing shape, buying new clothes etc.

At my heaviest I was sitting around 13 stone/182 pounds/82 kilos and overweight according to BMI, thanks to MFP and latterly a Fitbit I've reduced weight to 8 stone 9/121 pounds/55 kilos. This weight according to my BMI still puts me at the lower end of a healthy weight, though another kilo off and I'm underweight.

I was quite happy with the definition I've achieved and changes made, though my colleagues, friends and family all feel I am too thin, look unwell etc. This is starting to eat away at me to the point that I'm beginning to listen to their worries. On looking in the mirror I do see a slim person with little body fat, a somewhat aged face and some loose skin. I have little interest in bulking to huge muscley proportions and prefer the lean look.

I'm maintaining my weight at 1800 calories, I continue to log my food and enjoy what I eat. I do not deprive myself of pleasurable food and I exercise daily for around 20-30 mins (alternating calisthenics and some weights). I do not eat back exercise calories. I have more energy, require less sleep and generally feel more relaxed.

I have been reverse dieting for a few months and have seen no weight gain, some further loss if anything. I have just increased further to 1900 cals as would enjoy a bit more flexibility and enjoy some alcohol if I like.

I suppose my question is, have any been in a similar position? I'm seriously considering putting on more weight, but fear losing my existing definition. This, if I'm honest, is a mix of peer-pressure and a desire for more flexibility in eating/drinking.

Thanks for taking the time to read. :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Yes...my dear mother in law (who btw is obese) tells me I am too skinny all the time...that I am wasting away to nothing...I then do a few chinups in front of her and say...

no worries I am still healthy...tell her what I weight...prove it on the scale then she is okay.

But I am not on the low end of BMI either...I don't care about scale weight. I lift heavy and probably carry more weight than I look ...considering I am 150 in a size 4.

But remember you can be lean, have definition and still weigh more than you thinkzfzrg48d26hj.jpg
  • PoundChaser2
    PoundChaser2 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Yes...my dear mother in law (who btw is obese) tells me I am too skinny all the time...that I am wasting away to nothing...I then do a few chinups in front of her and say...

no worries I am still healthy...tell her what I weight...prove it on the scale then she is okay.

But I am not on the low end of BMI either...I don't care about scale weight. I lift heavy and probably carry more weight than I look ...considering I am 150 in a size 4.

But remember you can be lean, have definition and still weigh more than you thinkzfzrg48d26hj.jpg

You look great at 142!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a small surplus while lifting heavy, you will gain muscle and fat, when you gain enough muscle that you are happy, cut cals to a small deficit and lose the fat you gained, that way you will have more muscle at the same BF% you are now.

In my profile I show 4 pics side by side, the one on the far right I actually weigh 2 lbs less than the one on the far left.
  • kanerz14
    kanerz14 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, I may go into a small surplus soon:)
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you're on the lower end of healthy, you are quite thin. First, I think when you drop that much weight that fast, people do worry. I also think that at your age - I'm about the same - rapid weight loss makes that saggy skin look older. That passes though - at least it did for me - and I look much younger now than I did 5 years ago.

I'm going to suggest maybe adding 5 pounds while really working that definition might give you a bit of extra fat on your face, which will make you look younger, while maintaining that slim defined look in your body. Exercise and a little excess calories may be a good combo for adding a tad of muscle and some softness around your face and neck.

My son came home from service in Africa and I could see every bone in his face. 5 pounds more and he looked much better. Losing weight can get a little odd at the end, even when you have healthy body and eating attitudes, like you seem too.
  • jediguitarist
    jediguitarist Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Similar situation for me. 183lbs down to 148lbs in 20 weeks. Friends started saying I looked sick and if I was okay. My goal at the time was to show abs. My profile pic is around 152lbs. I'm lean but very little muscle and still around 14% bmi or body fat. I don't remember which is which... Lol

I spent the next 8 weeks gaining some weight back and stayed consistently around 155lbs-158lbs for a few years.

I would also suggest increasing your protein and carbs and lift a bit heavier to build some muscle. You could also eat back about 1/2 of your exercise calories as protein/carbs.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit burn is your TDEE (aka your maintenance calories). Connect your accounts at http://www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit and eat back your adjustments. You can learn more about using MFP + Fitbit in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users

Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we maintain (or lose)—never the minimum. Trust your Fitbit! I'm 120 lbs. I lost the weight & have successfully maintained for ten months by trusting my Fitbit.

Once you're eating enough to properly fuel your body, you need to shift your focus from a number on the scales to increasing lean body mass—aka body recomposition or recomp. You got smaller—now you need to get stronger.
  • Panthers89
    Panthers89 Posts: 153 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My experience is similar to yours. When I dropped nearly 70 pounds, friends and family members commented they were worried about my health. I look now at a picture from 3 years ago, when I was under 200 pounds, and I agree - I do look pretty bad. I have been maintaining around 230-235 lbs for 2 years now, and nobody can guess my weight accurately (the range is usually 195-210 lbs).

Just like sezxystef said above, once you start putting the weight on the proper way through diet AND exercise (both cardio and weights), you will keep the definition and feel better as well.

I eat and drink what I want - there are days when I'm not as hungry and I balance my weekly calories out. And there are other days where I party and drink beer and eat pizza and other junk as I did when I was heavier. I still track my calories and if I go way over my daily goal, it gets pushed to the following day so I can balance it out.

Live your life - the difficult part is over. Just keep working out!!! Congratulations on your achievement.
  • kanerz14
    Options
    it is so reassuring to know people have been at similar points. I know I need to get over the fear of slight weight gain/loss of definition and that'll be quite tough. I also fear slipping into old habits, :p but feel resilient enough to work through this.

Many thanks to all that have read and responded.
  • sonemoso
    sonemoso Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    What I think really helps is to know that you don't lose your definition over night (except for water weight, etc). It takes some time, so you can stop when you are unhappy with the results and undo them in "no time".
  • kanerz14
    Options
    sonemoso wrote: »
    What I think really helps is to know that you don't lose your definition over night (except for water weight, etc). It takes some time, so you can stop when you are unhappy with the results and undo them in "no time".

Yeah this is true, thanks. I should've taken more progress pics as a guide :/

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options

Wait, you're Staci?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • kanerz14
    Options
    I thought that too:)
    DirrtyH wrote: »

Wait, you're Staci?
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I thought that too originally, though I think she posted the pic as an example. Apologies if I'm wrong.

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    kanerz14 wrote: »
    I thought that too:)
    DirrtyH wrote: »

Wait, you're Staci?

I thought that too originally, though I think she posted the pic as an example. Apologies if I'm wrong.

Oh, maybe you're right.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    If you like the way you look then dont worry about what others say. Im 40, 5'6" and 125 pounds. I at first people would tell me i was to skinny but as i think about it it was the fat people who told me this. Now that ive been at this body composition for a while i dont hear anyone say anything anymore as they got used to me like this. If you like the way you look just hold there. People will get used to it eventually.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Keep reverse dieting. Everyone continues to lose (slowly) as they reverse diet until they hit actual maintenance. Sounds like your intake is low, but if you keep adding slowly, you will find maintenance and have more flexibility. And lifting is almost always a good idea. You won't bulk to huge muscley proportions without trying really, really hard. It just won't happen without strenuous intentional effort (on diet and exercise).

Forget what anyone else has to say about it & shake off the peer pressure. Sheesh, why do people feel they have to say anything at all? When my husband lost weight (from overweight to mid-range BMI mind you), people said that to him. It's the change people react to. OTOH, people would be shocked if they knew how little I weigh, but no one ever says anything to me because I've maintained this weight a long time. Like betuel says, they'll get used to it.