About the average american woman

Options
2»

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I think weight is a useless measure of health. Just find it interesting about these "averages". It is a little weird.

My own goals are not weight related. I have a goal weight neighborhood. But if it turns out I hit my goal measurements/body fat percentage before the weight it is not an issue. The scale isn't motivating. It is more import is to make health behaviors permanent habits.

Luckily for me I don't have any major health issues to deal with, things like blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol are normal to low.

You have some good points, but I think weight is still useful. It can be an indicator of how much lean mass your body has versus how much fat it has. It would be difficult to image a 300 pound 5'4" woman that was all muscle, so in this example weighing 300 pounds is a sign of less than ideal health. Too much fat and a person will start to develop those health issues which fortunately you currently do not have.

Sure, the odds of being a 300 pound 5'4" woman, and having 25% body fat percentage are pretty low. But a 160 pound 5'4" BF percentage? Definitely possible. Unfortunately, I think we have been conditioned to think (by society) that weight X is automatically "fat" and weight "Y" is automatically "attractive." There is a lot of grey there. So many women work really really hard just to hit that X, no matter what the health consequences are.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Weight is not determined by 3 measurements.

By the way, it's "intents and purposes" not "intensive purposes."

Thanks.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I have to say the average means nothing.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    wait, did someone say pancakes???
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Well, it was an interesting article. I am much smaller than that "average". And it seems the point of the article is that Americans are getting heavier.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Here's my proof it's "average". Walk up to any clothing rack in any store. Try to find a 12 or 14. Yeah. They are often sold out. Kinda like size 8 shoes.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Here's my proof it's "average". Walk up to any clothing rack in any store. Try to find a 12 or 14. Yeah. They are often sold out. Kinda like size 8 shoes.
    UmpOi.gif
    mind=blown
  • healthyandfitgirl14
    healthyandfitgirl14 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    luckily i'm not average. i'm a special snowflake. :bigsmile:
  • catrinaHwechanged
    catrinaHwechanged Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    UmpOi.gif
    mind=blown

Lol!!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    wasnt this based on a survey? would you honestly believe women to be truthful about their weights, measurements and clothing sizes? it's very possible that the "average" data looks weird because most of the data is incorrect.

that's not proof. your assumption is that stores order the same amounts of the all sizes, which many times even the same chain store will get more stock of a certain size than a different location. for instance, at my local express, they get very few size 14's in but tons of 2,4,6,8. just because the few size 14s get sold out quicker than the dozens of smaller sizes in no way means there are more people who are size 14 shopping there
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    wasnt this based on a survey? would you honestly believe women to be truthful about their weights, measurements and clothing sizes? it's very possible that the "average" data looks weird because most of the data is incorrect.

that's not proof. your assumption is that stores order the same amounts of the all sizes, which many times even the same chain store will get more stock of a certain size than a different location. for instance, at my local express, they get very few size 14's in but tons of 2,4,6,8. just because the few size 14s get sold out quicker than the dozens of smaller sizes in no way means there are more people who are size 14 shopping there

Even though I am against BMI for bodybuilders

for the sedentary person it holds some truth
    35% of people are obese in america
    enough said

btw that survey was 3 years ago... its probably 15 now
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

Even though I am against BMI for bodybuilders

for the sedentary person it holds some truth
    35% of people are obese in america
    enough said

btw that survey was 3 years ago... its probably 15 now

what holds true? please note that i've never mentioned anything regarding whether or not people are obese. i'm just stating the fact that women very often lie (to themselves even) about their weights and sizes. so trying to extrapolate anything remotely useful from data requiring people to be honest is going to lead to some WTF questions like the OP has.

for instance, how many people do we know who havent measured themselves in years? besides that, i dont know about you but i see plenty of people in my day to day life who are squeezing themselves into a size that's way too small for them (hint hint why so many complain about muffin top is because they are wearing the wrong size pants for the most part) but still consider themselves that size.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    An average is a bunch of numbers added together and divided by the number of numbers that were added together.

There will be outliers -- some way higher and some way lower.

Ex: 20+50+70+10+30+150=330

The average of those numbers is 55.

what you mean to say is, look at mode or median, not the mean. Your welcome!
    What you mean to say is "you're."
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    An average is a bunch of numbers added together and divided by the number of numbers that were added together.

There will be outliers -- some way higher and some way lower.

Ex: 20+50+70+10+30+150=330

The average of those numbers is 55.

what you mean to say is, look at mode or median, not the mean. Your welcome!
    What you mean to say is "you're."

Ummm. No. Internet forum jargon! Do I have to teach you everything?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I knew I was above average in every respect
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I think it is actually a law of the universe that whatever size you are is almost always sold out. So, if you are in a larger size there will always be small sizes on the rack, and if you are a small size there will always be large sizes on the rack. It's the only thing that makes sense. It has something to do with magnetic pull.