Changes, changes and MORE changes

Options
tanyamclattenburg
tanyamclattenburg Posts: 51 Member
edited May 2015 in Introduce Yourself
Hello everyone,

I've been here a few times in the past 2 years and have never "really" committed to it. This time I know is different. Here is my story so you get to know me a little better. Feel free to ask any questions, I'm a very open person and will answers ALMOST anything.

I'm a 38 year old single mom of 3 kids, I use the term loosely as my oldest just turned 19 and my baby turns 14 next month.

I've been a smoker and overweight my whole life. I just couldn't get motivated and having a sister that could hula hoop through a cheerio, eat anything she wanted and not gain a pound didn't help.

My life revolves around a computer. I'm an administrative assistant so I work on one all day. My evening consists of MMO gaming (huge computer gamer), and chatting with friends from all over the world.

Then last August something changed. I was talking to a friend from Britain and we were discussion the benefits of e-cigs. I know this isn't what this site is for but it was the first step on the path I'm on now.

I bought one that very day. Once it arrived about 2 weeks later I started using it. I had decided that quitting smoking would have to be first since I didn't want to compensate more cigarettes with the balancing of my food. That was 8 months ago and I am happy to say I am now smoke free. I still use my e-cig on a daily basis but I have been able to lower the nicotine level to almost 0.

Now is the next step on that journey to get healthy, the weight I kept telling myself was excess weight from having kids. When one of them turns 19 you kinda lose that excuse and had to start looking inward for the problem, I was lazy. I'm not afraid to admit that now.

I have 2 very good friends online that keep me motivated to work out but even then I still have far too many rest days. That realization sent me to this forum. I know I can't do this alone like I have tried in the past because I will eventually give up or just "forget".

I have been at it for going on 2 weeks now. At first I was just eating normally and tracking what I was eating, boy were my eyes opened. Things I thought were healthy options were GARBAGE. Now into week two I'm looking more and more at fresh ingredients and less pre-packaged foods. There are still a lot in my diet at this point but it's a step in the right direction.

I've walked a minimum of 2km every day at lunch time. I'm lucky enough to work in a fitness facility, ironic I know, and they are very good about longer breaks if it is for fitness related activities. I have an amazing wooded path behind the building that affords me that outdoor time.

I have a long way to go but I'm pointed in the right direction. Now it's one foot in front of the other.

Well that's me. Feel free to add me if you want, or not. Not sure how much I'll use this forum since I'm not usually such a long winded person.

Heather

PS forgot to mention that I am a Diet Pepsi ADDICT. Quitting that is turning out to be harder than quitting smoking.

Replies

• melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Hi! My daughter will turn 2 in June. I'm a secretary so I know about sedentary work. Logging is a great eye opener! I'm glad you're making changes for the better.
    My husband quit smoking 5 years ago and he said quitting Pepsi was harder than quitting smoking. Good luck with that!
    I log everyday. Feel free to add me :)
  • tanyamclattenburg
    tanyamclattenburg Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thank you for adding me. This is going to be a crazy bumpy ride I can see it but I'm hopeful. With cigarettes behind me it can only get easier.

I totally agree with your husband. They need to ban pepsi in public places, then maybe it will be easier to quit.