Best all round trainers (sneakers)?

Options
What's the best type? I'm pretty poor tbh and lack of exercise is definitely only encouraging my depression and not helping with the getting out and getting a job so I have more money and can buy all the shoes in the world.

But yeah, I can't afford buying three different types for different exercises. So as long as I have a good fitting trainer, what would be the best for running/jogging as well as strength training, cycling etc.?

And what are some good, all round clothes? Can I get away with just investing in some loose fitting tops and some sport leggings and good socks and bras?

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I absolutely recommend that you go to a running shoe store and get fitted for your first pair. Tell them what you are looking for and your budget, and the employees should be able to find what will work best for you. Once you know what type and size of shoes to buy, you can shop online for replacements or subsequent pairs and get them a bit cheaper.

Personally, I use minimalist running shoes for all of my workouts. They're light and flexible (similar to jaz shoes) for dance, they are the next best thing to lifting barefoot, and they have helped me so much with running because they force me to really pay attention to what I'm doing instead of just having a pair of shoes that minimizes my bad habits. But they wouldn't work for say playing basket ball or a high impact aerobics class at the gym.

As far as clothing, I honestly buy 75% of my workout clothes at Walmart or Target. I have a few pair of nice performance leggings (full length and capri) for running and some decent sports bras, but everything else is just old tees, cheap tank tops, etc. In fact, I didn't even bother with the performance bottoms for the first 6 months of running. I didn't need them until I was running far enough and sweating hard enough to make chaffing an issue.
  • njfitnessmom
    njfitnessmom Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I actually wear different pairs of shoes for running and strength training. And then I also have my knock around sneakers for just wearing around to run errands and what not. They are usually my retired running sneakers. But for my running sneakers I went to a running store and was fitted for my first pair.

As for all around workout clothes, I usually go to Target, Kohls, Old Navy. I have invested in some good full length running pants for running outside in the cold since I run year round. But everything else is just whatever I find that's reasonably priced.