Blanching and seasoning vegetables

Options
russellvolk
russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
Hello all,

I learned how to blanch vegetables, but I want to add more flavor to them. What seasoning do you use to make vegetables taste better? I still have lots of weight to lose, so I need a healthy way to season them.

Thanks

Replies

• Angelfire365
    Angelfire365 Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I just use a dash of seasoning salt. Mmmm.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mrs. Dash has several choices. The table blend is one of my go to spices. Garlic and herb is good. I like these since I balance the salt. Another choice is vinegars. Balsamic is great on green beans and roasted veggies like carrots, brussel sprouts. Lemon juice is nice choice too.

I should add that if I don't have the calories for olive oil to roast veggies, I will use olive oil nontick spray.

I haven't found any roasted veggies that aren't good. Even as crazy as it sounds, radishes are great roasted in the oven. They become sweeter and less pungent.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I sometimes just add a simple oil/vinegar/mustard/garlic vinaigrette, or even simpler tons of garlic and some olive oil. Or something like a dash of soy sauce or toasted sesame oil with a tablespoon of seeds (sesame, sunflower or pumpkin). I simply saute the blanched veggies in a wok for a couple of minutes and add whatever flavorings I want. The heat helps to add to the flavor IMO.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    Clubhouse house some great ones - lemon/ herb, etc. Most of them are 0 or very low calorie. You can find them in your grocery store along with the other seasonings and spices.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I love my veggies roasted instead of blanched/boiled. You could try that, the flavor is amazing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    My most used seasonings for veggies are garlic, black pepper and ceyenne pepper. For squashes and root vegetables I like to add fresh thyme or rosemary.