Why can't I eat what I want?

So, I love to eat and I like to workout (notice what I LOVE and what I like). I turned 33 and it was as if my metabolism hit a brick wall! On the other hand, my appetite sky rocketed. I found myself weighing 178lbs and only 5'6"! I tried to make myself feel better stating that I had more muscle than most females, I liked my shape, I workout every day so I should be able to eat what I want, etc. etc. Reality hit in when I was measured by the Navy and they stated that I was 35% fat!!!! I was only allowed to be 33%....I was on the verge of failing my very first Fitness Test!!! Not good!!! I had been on the site once before and I really thought it was awesome to track my intake. One day, before my diet, I logged in everything I ate and what I had done to workout, holy crap...what was I thinking (I deleted it because I had gone over my fat, calories and sugars by the time lunch was over). I have been using the tracker for about 40 days and I've lost 14lbs and two weeks ago my body fat was 29%!!!! It is miraculous how much faster I run and how much more energy I have. This is discipline, but I give myself a cheat day every week and it's working!!! Bottom line: it matters what you intake; I'm not 18 anymore! Thanks for reading~
Rachael

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Excellent progress, thanks for sharing.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    I think how much you take in matters much more. CICO, as long as you're eating at a deficit.
  • Tried30UserNames
    Tried30UserNames Posts: 561 Member
    Yes, tracking helps a lot so we can see where we were "estimating" wrong. Congratulations on your success so far.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Intake def matters. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    5'6" and 178 lbs. That was also my starting point. You are making faster progress than me, but then again, I'm not 33 anymore. :D Great job!!
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    I'm also 5 ft 6in and started at around 179lbs, and also started this whole thing in my 30s :) Great job on your loss so far!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    I try to look at it as being able to eat what I want but not necessarily in the quantities I would like. Nice change in body fat %. :)