Can anyone relate to my struggle?

Options
My husband and I are going out of town for the weekend. We are going back to our college town to hang out. There are a couple of restaurants that we always eat at. I decided to go online and see if I could find some nutritional info. I did and boy, was I SHOCKED! I looked up the one meal that I would usually eat for lunch- a buffalo chicken Panini and tomato basil soup. You'll never believe it-752 calories and 51.5 grams of fat and that is not including a drink, bread or extra ranch sauce. CRAZY! At first, I thought about working out extra hard so I would be able to eat that meal. Then I started to think: Do I really want to put that garbage into my body? Not really. I drank a carbonated water with aspartame the other day and it gave me such a headache. How have we as a society become so dependent on junk food that is terrible for us? My husband and I usually take a trip similar to this a couple of times a year. Eating out alone is a luxury, especially without having to help the kids dish up their plates, cut their food, etc. I have a little anxiety about taking a weekend away and going out to eat and ordering salads. I am really struggling with this mentally. How do I still have a good time going back to places that I love so much but without the food that I loved? I know I will be fine but it is just a little intimidating.

Replies

• DanaHerro
    DanaHerro Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that when the pounds start coming off, you don't WANT to eat that stuff all the time. Trust me.
    I go places and that stuff doesn't even look good anymore. I think, "SO not worth it"

Now once a week or so? Yeah I totally have a cheat meal, but I used to order crap all the time - no more and NO desire to.
    It'll just happen after a few weeks! :)
  • msstatz
    msstatz Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    All I can tell you is that when the pounds start coming off, you don't WANT to eat that stuff all the time. Trust me.
    I go places and that stuff doesn't even look good anymore. I think, "SO not worth it"

Now once a week or so? Yeah I totally have a cheat meal, but I used to order crap all the time - no more and NO desire to.

Thanks for your response! I actually met my weight goal and am happy where I am. But I am viewing my new lifestyle as a lifestyle and want to continue fueling my body so that I can look and feel my best. It just kind of gets to me when I think that if I want to be this healthy always that I will *never* be able to eat these greasy, fattening foods again. I guess it is just a mindset that I will have to overcome and get used to.
  • Pink_turnip
    Pink_turnip Posts: 280 Member
    Options

This!!
    I still eat cheat meals here and there, but no where near what I used to be eating. We used to go out for dinner almost every night.
    I had a conversation with a friend the other day about things we used to order when we would go out for dinner, and how looking back at it, there is no surprise how we got so fat.
  • chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    You just gotta find new foods you love!!
    Always see if half portions are offered, and if not have the server box up half of the meal before bringing it out to you.

It is very sad...with dyes and hormones and antibiotics and all the other poop they put in our foods it's no wonder. They intentionally put things in food to make you addicted.
    And as for the aspartame, I know a lot of people that get headaches from it. My fiance' gets bad headaches from all artificial sugar.

You'll do fine! Just keep making good decisions and exercise exercise exercise!
  • wannabesexymama
    wannabesexymama Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    keep Healthy snacks in the car, Carrots, Apples, celery, nuts just stuff to snack on while on the road that arent that bad for you when its time to eat out order appitizers and share them or ask for a box ahead of time put half or more in to the box so that you dont eat it "Out of sight, Out of Mind" drink lots of water while there and only snack on your meal by the time its over you will have only eaten a little bit because you wont be that hungry with the snacks in the car!
  • robdel302
    robdel302 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Our society has become dependent on cheap foods due to its availability. The cost of eating whole nutritious food hasn't really gone up much over the years. But with commercialized farming and agriculture, we've seen a huge increase in cheap food. These foods are usually the unhealthiest with a lot of filler.

As for our restaurant ordeal, this business is a whole different story. Most meals are usually more calories than a home cooked meal so the diner feels they've got the most bang for their buck. Often at times, this comes from a huge markup for certain items. Case in point; a friend of mine with a catering business told me two things he never orders at restaurants; anything with chicken and specials. Chicken is usually the most overpriced item on any menu and the specials are left over items that the chef got creative with so they don't end up in the trash expired.

If you have foods that you and your husband really want, then order one plate and split it. You can enjoy the food and save on calories and money at the same time. If this isn’t an option, then ask for a to-go box with the food so you can pack up half and finish it later.
  • msstatz
    Options

This!!
    I still eat cheat meals here and there, but no where near what I used to be eating. We used to go out for dinner almost every night.
    I had a conversation with a friend the other day about things we used to order when we would go out for dinner, and how looking back at it, there is no surprise how we got so fat.

Yes, I totally agree. I was just telling my husband how it is no wonder that we (as Americans) have such a high obesity rate and are so unhealthy. It is actually amazing that more people aren't overweight with how most people eat (and don't exercise).
  • simplyciera
    simplyciera Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree with DanaHerro, once you make the lifestyle change, fatty, unhealthy foods are no longer desirable. When I try to eat high fat food, it just tastes like oil coating my mouth. I find it gross now.

While you're out, either try ordering a salad with a light dressing (try to avoid creamy dressings because those have the most cals) or try finding a place that serves the food that you like! Expand your horizons! Worst case scenario, bring food that you like along with you. I always bring bags of nuts and fruit along with me on trips. It was never for weight loss though; I just like fruits and nuts!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I don't find it a struggle but I know what you mean on all counts. I'm not surprised by the cals, thats kinda the way it is. for me its easier cause I dont have a SO who may not have good eating habits, so your torn over that. also YES i totally understand not wanting to put *kitten* into your body, but that panini although high cal would probably be ok, but I totally understand. its like, why would I want to eat that crap when I could eat something good for you instead that i will get nutrition out of lol.

sounds like your attitude to food has changed, YAY FOR YOU! thats awesome! as for society being dependant on junk food and not knowing how to eat properly, yeh it sucks. its killing and will kill a lot of people. millions. people just haven't woken up to it yet and the food industry is making a profit and haven't been forced by the market aka the consumer aka us... well not me and u bit "us" to change. its weird that something so core to health and well being, that we have to do every day, is something that 75% of people struggle with (aka underweight/overweight/ obese bmi is 75% of the pop).

I'd say do what feels right. if you really don't feel like eating that crap, just put your foot down and say you don't. maybe if your hubby really does want to, then compromise, and have one meal where he wants and that can be your cheat meal / cheat day, log everything, and if you want to you can burn it off later, but you don't have to.

one day where u eat what you want wont ruin your weightloss forever, but if you feel its going to bust through your resolve and put you back in the line for KFC, dont do it.

if you do, log it all, so if its way over, you can add some extra exercise time. thats the no worries, this is a lifestyle change way. personally I just eat what I want at special events and dont worry about it.

find a compromise.
  • msstatz
    Options
    You just gotta find new foods you love!!
    Always see if half portions are offered, and if not have the server box up half of the meal before bringing it out to you.

It is very sad...with dyes and hormones and antibiotics and all the other poop they put in our foods it's no wonder. They intentionally put things in food to make you addicted.
    And as for the aspartame, I know a lot of people that get headaches from it. My fiance' gets bad headaches from all artificial sugar.

You'll do fine! Just keep making good decisions and exercise exercise exercise!

I love veggies and fruits so I know that I will be satisfied it I order them instead of other unhealthy options, but I just need to make myself order them. :)

I plan on exercising too. I already called ahead to see what type of exercise equipment the hotel has and what time the gym is open).
  • msstatz
    Options
    I agree with DanaHerro, once you make the lifestyle change, fatty, unhealthy foods are no longer desirable. When I try to eat high fat food, it just tastes like oil coating my mouth. I find it gross now.

While you're out, either try ordering a salad with a light dressing (try to avoid creamy dressings because those have the most cals) or try finding a place that serves the food that you like! Expand your horizons! Worst case scenario, bring food that you like along with you. I always bring bags of nuts and fruit along with me on trips. It was never for weight loss though; I just like fruits and nuts!

I agree. The thought of eating chips or candy actually makes me feel sick. The thought of the grease and fat and unhealthy ingredients makes the food unappealing to me and easy to turn down. I am going to pack healthy snacks for the road so I always have those to fall back on.
  • msstatz
    Options
    I don't find it a struggle but I know what you mean on all counts. I'm not surprised by the cals, thats kinda the way it is. for me its easier cause I dont have a SO who may not have good eating habits, so your torn over that. also YES i totally understand not wanting to put *kitten* into your body, but that panini although high cal would probably be ok, but I totally understand. its like, why would I want to eat that crap when I could eat something good for you instead that i will get nutrition out of lol.

sounds like your attitude to food has changed, YAY FOR YOU! thats awesome! as for society being dependant on junk food and not knowing how to eat properly, yeh it sucks. its killing and will kill a lot of people. millions. people just haven't woken up to it yet and the food industry is making a profit and haven't been forced by the market aka the consumer aka us... well not me and u bit "us" to change. its weird that something so core to health and well being, that we have to do every day, is something that 75% of people struggle with (aka underweight/overweight/ obese bmi is 75% of the pop).

I'd say do what feels right. if you really don't feel like eating that crap, just put your foot down and say you don't. maybe if your hubby really does want to, then compromise, and have one meal where he wants and that can be your cheat meal / cheat day, log everything, and if you want to you can burn it off later, but you don't have to.

one day where u eat what you want wont ruin your weightloss forever, but if you feel its going to bust through your resolve and put you back in the line for KFC, dont do it.

if you do, log it all, so if its way over, you can add some extra exercise time. thats the no worries, this is a lifestyle change way. personally I just eat what I want at special events and dont worry about it.

find a compromise.

I really appreciate your response. My hubby is supportive, although he doesn't eat the healthiest all the time. He would have no problem with me ordering a salad or going somewhere else all together. I do feel like I have such a good healthy streak going that I don't want to disrupt it. I plan on eating healthy forever so I guess I will just have to get used to these types of decisions/situations.
  • kajungrill
    kajungrill Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can split the entrée with your hubby and get a side of veggies and a salad to fill you up
  • msstatz
    Options
    keep Healthy snacks in the car, Carrots, Apples, celery, nuts just stuff to snack on while on the road that arent that bad for you when its time to eat out order appitizers and share them or ask for a box ahead of time put half or more in to the box so that you dont eat it "Out of sight, Out of Mind" drink lots of water while there and only snack on your meal by the time its over you will have only eaten a little bit because you wont be that hungry with the snacks in the car!

I will be bringing healthy snacks to keep me on the right track. I have a mental list going as to what I want to bring. I also plan on bringing my huge water bottle to keep my water intake up. Thanks for your suggestions!
  • msstatz
    Options
    Maybe you can split the entrée with your hubby and get a side of veggies and a salad to fill you up

Not a bad idea
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

find a compromise.

I really appreciate your response. My hubby is supportive, although he doesn't eat the healthiest all the time. He would have no problem with me ordering a salad or going somewhere else all together. I do feel like I have such a good healthy streak going that I don't want to disrupt it. I plan on eating healthy forever so I guess I will just have to get used to these types of decisions/situations.

it will get easier over time. I was pretty white knuckled in the beginning cause I didn't want to fall off. good luck!