Know what you are eating

Options
sandryc79
sandryc79 Posts: 250 Member
On these forums you hear a lot of back and forth between people who measure meticulously and those who have good results estimating. I am a big fan of "if it is working for you it isn't broken" so I am not judging people who estimate and succeed. So while I am fully supportive of those who don't, I am of the measure mindset myself mostly because I don't feel I possess the internal measures I would otherwise need to be accurate.

This was illustrated to me today at breakfast. I normally eat a carefully measured meal at home but I was running unusually late this morning. I went to my workplace cafeteria and got 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 sausage patties and a skim milk. For Aramark food services the "sausage patty" entries vary from 50 calories per to 210. I picked one that was 100 calories per patty but it bothered me. So on my last break I ran downstairs and asked to scan the box with my MFP app. 180 calories per patty. My best guess was 160 calories too low. Now ... in the scope of my week that isn't a big deal. But if I were off on things like that through the week could it stall or significantly delay my weight loss? Yeah, I think it could.

So beginner advice? Know what you are eating so your tracking is a tool you can use to predict success.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think it's great when people can estimate too.

I wasn't that good at it but getting better as I weigh more.

The key here tho is to actually log consistently and correctly using the correct entries. The fact yo found entries ranging in calories is not a surprise...it could be as simple as amount in grams but some could just be in error.

That's why I wrote this post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately

Know what and how much you are eating
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options
    Sometimes you just have to estimate, unless you're going to lug your scale with you everywhere (please don't to that LOL).
    When in doubt, I aim for the higher calorie entry in MFP just to be safe. I figure I'd rather over-estimate than under-estimate. If there are numerous entries that are all over the place, I will pick somewhere in the middle and maybe bump it up 10% to be safe.

Overall though I aim to have very few estimations. I'm a bit of a control freak that way :)
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    I'm an estimator. I just find that it balances out. It requires good judgment though, that not everyone has.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    BinkyBonk wrote: »
    Sometimes you just have to estimate, unless you're going to lug your scale with you everywhere (please don't to that LOL).
    When in doubt, I aim for the higher calorie entry in MFP just to be safe. I figure I'd rather over-estimate than under-estimate. If there are numerous entries that are all over the place, I will pick somewhere in the middle and maybe bump it up 10% to be safe.

Overall though I aim to have very few estimations. I'm a bit of a control freak that way :)

agreed...there is no way for me to know what is in my seafood linguini that I will be eating next weekend...so I choose something close...red lobster typically...and log 3/4 to be safe as the place I am eating has reasonable portions.
  • sandryc79
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    I think it's great when people can estimate too.

I wasn't that good at it but getting better as I weigh more.

The key here tho is to actually log consistently and correctly using the correct entries. The fact yo found entries ranging in calories is not a surprise...it could be as simple as amount in grams but some could just be in error.

That's why I wrote this post.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide?hl=Logging+accurately

Know what and how much you are eating

Yes, I think measuring and knowing what you are eating creates better future judgment. I am already getting better about it. This is a good post!
  • sandryc79
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    I'm an estimator. I just find that it balances out. It requires good judgment though, that not everyone has.

I think it's great you are good at estimating. I think my sense of perspective is broken through long training. I grew up in a fat family who owned a restaurant and equated food to love. I remember my family telling me they didn't understand why I was fat because I didn't eat that much. My diet at the time was mostly fried food and in my family you were eating light if you only made two heaping plate trips to the buffet. A steak started at 18oz. Lol