Exercise when your obese?

Options
124»

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Your yoga imagery (you are highly descriptive by the way) pretty well describes my first few months. I also had bursitis in one knee so some moves were utterly impossible. I'd do some other random stretch instead. I have a supportive group and a great teacher, who rarely commented on my failures, and regularly cheer my successes. I am so much more flexible these days.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    @kfebersole I'm drumming up some Yoga support for you. :smile:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I used the elliptical for the majority of my cardio and it worked wonderfully. With a prior knee injury I didn't want a setback and still cautiously building up to running the way I used to. I used the fat burner mode - 4 mins at varying resistance and jump from 4-6, then 6-8, and now 10-14 and then incrementally up each minute for the cool down to do the final 2 mins at 20. I would then go through a weight routine and finish up with a walk/jog for ~30 mins.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,671 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    kfebersole wrote: »
    But yeah, my pride, vanity, and embarrassment at how fat I've gotten has kept me from going to the gym or trying to jog. I'd love to take a yoga class but is rolling around on the floor, unable to get up, like a bug stuck on its back considered yoga? :D

Possibly. Is standing in front of the TV yelling 'what the *kitten* is that and how are you freaks doing it" considered yoga?
    While twisting your head side to side to and scrunching up your face is confusion? Absolutely.

• kfebersole
    kfebersole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Your yoga imagery (you are highly descriptive by the way)

I'm eloquent, yo. Thanks for noticing.

People actually pay me to write.

• andympanda
    andympanda Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Here is some motivation, as you loose weight, you will e able to tolerate the heat and hot weather more. Pretty soon you will find the cold harder to deal wit.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    andympanda wrote: »
    Here is some motivation, as you loose weight, you will e able to tolerate the heat and hot weather more. Pretty soon you will find the cold harder to deal wit.

I don't know...might depend on where you live.

Last year in Austin...it would be pushing 100 by 10AM. Didn't really cool down much until around 9PM. Add the humidity on top of that...

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    The hardest thing I had to do was put my (at the time) 290 lb body into a swimsuit and head to the pool for a water aerobics class. After the first class, I realized that there were all shapes and sizes and nobody was looking at me. A year later, I am still hauling my (now) 204 lb body to the same pool and I have had many tell me that I am their inspiration.

Find something you like and do it! Who cares about anyone else and what they think? Yes, I understand your feelings after the b***h shamed you but most people are encouraging.
  • Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I use Leslie Sansone for workouts at home right off youtube. Great way to start and I'm kind of klutzy so I had to have a routine that was easy to follow where I wouldn't break an ankle. :-) The leg lifts kill me. I curse her. But she has good videos and options for 1 mile on up.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    The hardest thing I had to do was put my (at the time) 290 lb body into a swimsuit and head to the pool for a water aerobics class. After the first class, I realized that there were all shapes and sizes and nobody was looking at me. A year later, I am still hauling my (now) 204 lb body to the same pool and I have had many tell me that I am their inspiration.

That's a great story! :smile:
  • kfebersole
    kfebersole Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    What happens if the only physical activity you enjoy is lifting the wine glass from the table to your lips? I could drink straight out of the Franzia box and count that as a weight lifting exercise.
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    What happens if the only physical activity you enjoy is lifting the wine glass from the table to your lips? I could drink straight out of the Franzia box and count that as a weight lifting exercise.

In theory, I completely support this decision hahaha
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options

Well, progressive overload states that you just need to keep lifting heavier quantities, so technically yes, as long as you keep lifting a bigger, and bigger box progressively.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options

This was my diet for the last 15 years. Have to say I was a jolly good fellow. Interesting - my physical activity suffered, but my mental state was slow to recognize this.