Strong Lifts / 5x5 / Lifting for women...

I just started doing the 5x5 program about 2 months ago. My only experience in the gym previously, a long time ago, was just cardio, so I am completely new to weight lifting with real weights, lol!

I am really looking for other women who lift to lose fat and get in shape. I workout with my fiance but he really only know's the guys thought process of it, trying to get bigger. Obviously I don't want to get bigger, lol!

I would love some friends that are experienced with lifting to share ideas and thoughts with. :)

Replies

• DirrtyH
    DirrtyH Posts: 664 Member
    Check out this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

You can add me as well. I'm doing Stronglifts.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    You aren't really going to get bigger, especially if you're eating at a deficit. You will, however, get stronger and maintain more muscle mass as you lose weight. I've been lifting for about a year now also with a male partner. I have muscle definition but haven't really gotten any bigger and I'm something of a female freak of nature when it comes to adding muscle. :smile:
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    edited May 2015
    You don't lift to lose fat, you create a calorie deficit to lose fat. You lift to get stronger, and be bad *kitten* in general (amongst other things). It is really REALLY hard for women to gain muscle mass in general (lack of testostorone) let alone while eating at a deficit. You are not going to get bigger. Lift with your fiance you aren't going to turn into a man. women shouldn't lift any differently than a man does In my opinion. Good luck to you.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    http://www.reddit.com/r/xxfitness/wiki/user_progress

Check this out. It has many examples of women who gained muscle and gained, lost, or maintained weight while doing a strength program but lose bodyfat.

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    DirrtyH wrote: »
    Check out this group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

You can add me as well. I'm doing Stronglifts.

Yes go to this group. When I was active in it it was a source of information and friendship.

I did SL 5x5 for 9 months, switched to 3x5 for the summer and I still lift just a different program.

You don't really burn many calories doing this...or fat...it's about keeping muscle and getting stronger.

The fat loss comes from your deficit.
  • Italiana_xx79
    Italiana_xx79 Posts: 593 Member
    You guys are all awesome!! This is definitely what I needed! :)
  • ShapingTheLaw
    ShapingTheLaw Posts: 65 Member
    I lift too but I'm not doing stronglifts although I'm familiar with it and the success stories. Currently, I'm doing LivFit from bodybuilding. Com for a 3rd time. This time I'm following the nutritional plsn. The last 9 months I lost over 25 lbs but now I have to change my eating to lose the last 7 lbs. I love lifting. I lift 5 to 6 days per week. I do Cardio, too, about 4 to 5 times a week for 30 to 45 minutes. Weight lifting makes you nice and firm especially from the waste down which you can't get those results from just cardio. Good luck!
  • Tezzi_B
    Tezzi_B Posts: 41 Member
    I really want to do the Strong Lift 5x5 but I don't know where to begin (I'm scared). I think also because I can feel a bit intimidated by all the guys in the weights section and little me trying to nudge my way in. Argh!!!