Pescetarians?

Options
Starting tomorrow I'm switching my diet to pescetarianism and wanted to know if anyone else on mfp follows this lifestyle?

Replies

• jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I was a pescetarian today at lunch. Tonight at dinner I'll be a vegan. But tomorrow at breakfast I'll either be an omnivore or a lacto-ovo vegetarian or flexitarian. I love defining myself by my food choices.
  • jeccawest91
    jeccawest91 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Lol you're so funny
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My husband is. He has never eaten meat, even as a child. He has always been thin, and his blood pressure and colestoral are low. B)
  • lizzocat
    lizzocat Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I guess that's me (i usually just say vegetarian although not super accurate) I eat fish/seafood, dairy, eggs, etc. but no land meat. Personal choice, haven't eaten meat in 5 years. I wouldn't say it affects my weight loss though- I gained weight this way and am now losing weight this way
  • cygnetpro
    cygnetpro Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    My daughter does that. Not for weight loss, but for her own reasons. It's a bit of a pain to follow if the whole household doesn't follow it, but from what I can tell, she's getting her nutrients, including enough protein. Good luck!
  • JustinAnimal
    JustinAnimal Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    My wife is vegetarian except for eggs and fish. Typically, she has no problem getting enough protein and is very happy with what she eats and how she feels. However, if you're going to miss bacon or something, maybe consider not making this a hard and fast rule. What's life if you never enjoy yourself?

I will say, when I eat vegetarian, I appreciate the light, breezy bowel movements I experience (heavy beef-eaters can... you know... feel stuck).
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't call myself a pescetarian, but I do eat fish more days out of the week than not.

Last night I made a delicious honey-miso baked salmon with some spicy stir fried udon and broccoli.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian for the simple reason that the thought of eating meat is repulsive to me. I rarely use the term 'pescetarian' though, because most people look at me like I'm from outer space, and I get tired of explaining it over and over! Lol
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    I'm a pescetarian for the simple reason that the thought of eating meat is repulsive to me. I rarely use the term 'pescetarian' though, because most people look at me like I'm from outer space, and I get tired of explaining it over and over! Lol

Fish is meat, though.
  • yayamom3
    Options
    Fish is seafood.

According to the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, abstinence laws say meat is considered something that comes only from animals that live on land, like chicken, cows, sheep or pigs. Fish are considered a different category of animal.Mar 14, 2014

And my aversion to meat has nothing to do with ethics. The thought of putting meat in my mouth disgusts me. Just like the thought of putting tomatoes or strawberries in his mouth disgusts my son. I have no problem if people enjoy eating meat. I cook it for my family almost every day. I just don't like it.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    Fish is meat. Sorry but no "conference of bippitiboops" or whatever is going to take away the fact that it used to be a part of an animal. It was a fish muscle. Just like a slab of beef.
  • yayamom3
    Options
    It's so amusing how there are always a few who want to turn every comment into an instant debate. I'm entitled to my views and you are entitled to yours. And that's what makes this world a beautiful place. OP, I apologize that my simple reply to your comment is causing your thread to completely get off track. I will leave the conversation now, and hopefully your thread will go back to helpful replies to your post. Have a beautiful day everyone!
  • shrinkingletters
    Options
    You're entitled to your opinion, but if you can't back up said opinion, you're not entitled to be safe from the criticism that follows, which by your logic, we're equally entitled to.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I don't think of it as a lifestyle and of course fish is meat (the English word meat includes fish, sorry). However, I go pescetarian from time to time and did during Lent. I was actually a little disappointed in myself because I'd meant to eat meatless more than I did--I ate quite a lot of fish--but it was a pretty easy thing to do.

Anyway, if you are looking for meal ideas my diary is open, so check the period that corresponds with Lent '15.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    I do eat a lot of fish, but still enjoy other meats now and then.
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    yayamom3 wrote: »
    It's so amusing how there are always a few who want to turn every comment into an instant debate. I'm entitled to my views and you are entitled to yours. And that's what makes this world a beautiful place. OP, I apologize that my simple reply to your comment is causing your thread to completely get off track. I will leave the conversation now, and hopefully your thread will go back to helpful replies to your post. Have a beautiful day everyone!

Opinions are worthless. They are by definition not backed up by facts. I guess you are welcome to have a wrong "opinion" but that doesn't help the discussion.

Your classifying fish as "seafood" and therefore "not meat" is about as useful as saying chicken isn't meat either because it is classified as poultry. I don't see what authority a religious figure has in taxonomy, so therefore their "opinion" has zero value in the discussion.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    A dictionary definition: meat is "1. the flesh of animals as used for food."

Fish are animals, right?
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I eat fish and vegetables, but I do not eat land animals and have not for 22 years. I eat fish about twice a week...the majority of my intake includes vegetables and dairy. While it looks like a debate about what is and isn't meat might be brewing, I just wanted to tell you that it's possible to have a healthy diet without land animals, and even without fish, if you choose. It's a personal choice! In my opinion, if you do choose to eat fish or seafood, paying a little more for wild caught/sustainable is worth it, if you can afford it. I would rather eat it less frequently and more globally-ethically than pay a bit less for the commercial/mass produced/irresponsibly caught varieties, but that is just me. If you have recipe questions, you can send me a message! Good luck!
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I know a lot people who refer to meat, fish, and poultry as three different types of food. I know what they mean. The meaning of words can be fluid and contextual and evolve over time.