Tips on losing weight without serious exercise?

Anyone have any advice or a plan they follow or recommend?

Thanks!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    eat at a reasonable deficit. I eat food (all food) I just make sure I am about 200 calories lower than maintenance.

Exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I'm not sure how you define serious exercise but it comes down to eating fewer calories than you burn, exercise or no exercise.

• DKG28
    DKG28 Posts: 299 Member
    Lost 30 pounds so far, no exercise beyond doing what I have to do everyday. Just means I have to stick to my calories tightly because there's no leeway for a few extra bites when there's no exercise.
  • aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Figure out your calorie deficit on here (either you want to lose 1-2 lbs per week) and then just eat at the calories they give you. I lost 30 lbs just following my daily calories and didn't exercise at all.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Yet exercise helps weight loss. When you are expending more energy you will lose more quickly than if you were just restricting calories. The two go hand in hand. Walking is exercise, and it does not need to be "serious." You can walk for 20 minutes on flat pavement and it would have benefits. Plus, exercise releases "feel good" hormones, as well as helps tone muscles. All good.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    You can lose weight without exercise, but to be healthy, you really need to exercise,
  • Sarasmaintaining
    Sarasmaintaining Posts: 1,027 Member
    edited May 2015
    I didn't do any exercise while in active weight loss. Calorie calculators offer a 'no/little exercise' option when running your numbers, just chose that option when figuring out your calorie goals.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    MFP is set up for you to lose weight without exercise so this is the plan. :smile:

The calorie deficit you need to lose weight is included in MFP's daily calorie goal for you. Any exercise you do adds calories to that goal so you'll lose weight at the rate of loss you indicated in your goals (.5 to 2 pounds per week). If you don't do exercise you'll stay at the same calorie goal every day, which is fine.
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    You don't need to exercise seriously to lose weight. You just need to eat less than you burn.

As you lose weight, though, you'll probably find yourself wanting to add exercise, both because it gets easier and more fun as you lose the weight, and because it means you can eat more and still lose! I'm a big fan of eating more.
  • baby_firefly_666
    baby_firefly_666 Posts: 192 Member
    Like the others have said, you don't need to exercise to lose weight. Exercising does help, but the main thing you just be doing to lose weight is creating a calorie deficit each day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited May 2015
    I lost my first thirty pounds without doing very much exercise-wise. [Edited to add] all you have to do is be careful how many calories you eat.
  • SezxyStef
    whmscll wrote: »
    Yet exercise helps weight loss. When you are expending more energy you will lose more quickly than if you were just restricting calories. The two go hand in hand. Walking is exercise, and it does not need to be "serious." You can walk for 20 minutes on flat pavement and it would have benefits. Plus, exercise releases "feel good" hormones, as well as helps tone muscles. All good.

That wasn't the question tho.

And no you won't lose more quickly with exercise necessarily.

muscles don't tone.

Again OP exercise is not a requirement for weight loss.

• whmscll
    Jump down my throat for putting in my two cents, why don't you.
  • SezxyStef
    Jump down my throat for putting in my two cents, why don't you.

@whmscll I didn't jump down your throat. I wasn't mean. Just stated facts...perhaps you read too much into what I typed. Try not to take it personal when people correct your misinformation or you will be in a fit a lot...based on what I've seen.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member

Thanks!

Just eat less. With activity you will burn more calories and can eat more while losing, but you can lose weight and be sedentary.

Exercise does help though. You'll retain more muscle while losing, it can improve overall health, and improve posture. It doesn't have to be serious or even structured "exercise". Any movement is good.
  • whmscll
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member

Thanks!

weight loss and weight control in general has far more to do with your energy consumption than exercise. diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

exercise has the added bonus of increasing your energy expenditure which basically means you can accomplish the same goals while being able to consume more. for example, with regular exercise I can maintain on around 2800-3000 calories and lose steadily on 2300ish calories. without exercise I maintain around 2300 - 2500 and to lose the same amount of weight as in scenario 1 I could only eat 1800 - 2000 calories.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited May 2015
    Are you talking no exercise at all or just something like not going hardcore?

You don't need to exercise at all to lose weight. That's the good news.

If you have health concerns, I'd like to offer you the encouragement that it's not necessary to go all hardcore and be a triathlete competitor to exercise. I do what I can. I walk, I do some mild strength training. I have made gains in both of these since I started.

I started out walking with a cane and with doing Arnold presses with 2 pound dumb bells. You don't have to be a beast to get your body moving and reap benefits from it. Just do what you can.
  • SezxyStef

cwolfman13 wrote: »

Thanks!

weight loss and weight control in general has far more to do with your energy consumption than exercise. diet for weight control; exercise for fitness.

exercise has the added bonus of increasing your energy expenditure which basically means you can accomplish the same goals while being able to consume more. for example, with regular exercise I can maintain on around 2800-3000 calories and lose steadily on 2300ish calories. without exercise I maintain around 2300 - 2500 and to lose the same amount of weight as in scenario 1 I could only eat 1800 - 2000 calories.

I totally agree with this.

If I don't exercise I can eat about 1800-2000 calories a day.

With exercise...2500.

Exercise is for health and fitness....but you can't outrun a bad diet....in other words if you are not in a calorie deficit you can exercise all you want and you won't lose weight.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Misinformation. Your opinion, not fact.

What you said wasn't misinformation and wasn't incorrect (other than perhaps using "tone" which is just silly because it was completely obvious what you meant).