Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

not seeing any changes

Ive been at this for years and im just not seeing any changes. I have always eaten a healthy, mostly vegetarian diet and excersise every day for at least an hour or more. The last two months i have really stepped up the wightlifting ( i have always done a lot of cardio) and upped my protien in hopes of seeing body changes but havnt seen any difference still. im 32 5"3 and 108pounds and eat around 1200-1300 cal a day. I have found if i eat more calories than this i gain weight rapidly. Im not really looking to lose a lot of weight ( i feel best around 105pounds so i like to lose a few) but looking to get more definition and shape. suggestions.

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    With those stats-you will need very high accuracy in terms of calories in/calories out. Otherwise any estimation in terms of what you're eating/drinking/burning will kill a deficit.

But it sounds like you need to work more on body recomp - I hear strong lifts is good for that.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Are you weighing your food?
    You're probably going to need to gain weight to get more "definition and shape".
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    edited May 2015
    bezlooney wrote: »
    Ive been at this for years and im just not seeing any changes. I have always eaten a healthy, mostly vegetarian diet and excersise every day for at least an hour or more. The last two months i have really stepped up the wightlifting ( i have always done a lot of cardio) and upped my protien in hopes of seeing body changes but havnt seen any difference still. im 32 5"3 and 108pounds and eat around 1200-1300 cal a day. I have found if i eat more calories than this i gain weight rapidly. Im not really looking to lose a lot of weight ( i feel best around 105pounds so i like to lose a few) but looking to get more definition and shape. suggestions.

You're about my height and weigh about 30 pounds less than me and I'm a healthy weight (I just had a health assessment done at work this morning). I think it's time you truly let go of the scale as a measurement of health and focus on how you look and feel, especially since you're lifting. Grab a tape measure, measure yourself and track it here. If you're seriously lifting weights, you aren't going to lose many pounds, in fact, you might even gain a couple, but you'll get smaller and firmer which is the real goal, right? Not some number on a scale no one but you sees.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    First, I think you should be more patient.

Secondly, to "get more definition and shape" you either mean: 1) lose bodyfat so your muscles are more visible and defined; 2) gain muscles to obtain body with more visible muscles. And gain muscles to obtain "shape" (body re-composition). Since you don't want to lose weight, you want to gain muscles.

If your TDEE is 1200-1300kcal, then you add 200-300kcal (lean bulk) and start lifting heavy, and preferably compound lifts. Gaining weight is the name of the game, and eating at an appropriate surplus requires as much discipline as eating at an appropriate deficit. (Unless you are doing a dirty bulk and eat everything in sight.)
    You must make sure that you hit at least 100g of protein (for you weight) each day. And preferably also keep in check your fats and carbs (like 40C/30P/30F).
    Be patient and consistent.
    Gains.
    Cut.
    Rinse and Repeat.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    At your height and weight, I'm wondering if a bulk/cut cycle would be in your best interest. I definitely wouldn't be trying to lose weight.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    bezlooney wrote: »

You are already at a healthy weight/BMI. Why allow 3 pounds to get you down? It's just a number on the scale.

I say continue the weight lifting, eat at maintenance, and enjoy those benefits. :)
  • bezlooney
    bezlooney Posts: 81 Member
    Thanks everyone. And to who asked I weigh absoulutly everything on a scale in grams or oz. that i eat.
  • bezlooney
    Are you weighing your food?
    You're probably going to need to gain weight to get more "definition and shape".

yes i wiegh all my food
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    I think you should reevaluate your idea of an ideal weight for your height. You are already classified as underweight.
  • bezlooney
    First, I think you should be more patient.

Secondly, to "get more definition and shape" you either mean: 1) lose bodyfat so your muscles are more visible and defined; 2) gain muscles to obtain body with more visible muscles. And gain muscles to obtain "shape" (body re-composition). Since you don't want to lose weight, you want to gain muscles.

If your TDEE is 1200-1300kcal, then you add 200-300kcal (lean bulk) and start lifting heavy, and preferably compound lifts. Gaining weight is the name of the game, and eating at an appropriate surplus requires as much discipline as eating at an appropriate deficit. (Unless you are doing a dirty bulk and eat everything in sight.)
    You must make sure that you hit at least 100g of protein (for you weight) each day. And preferably also keep in check your fats and carbs (like 40C/30P/30F).
    Be patient and consistent.
    Gains.
    Cut.
    Rinse and Repeat.
    Thanks for this. I don't know why I get stuck on the weight 105 because i know the number dosn't matter this is just what i have weighed since i was 18 and stayed at even after having 2 kids. gaining weight scares me but is probably what i need to do to gain muscle. I do hit around 100g of protien daily give or take a few grams but usually only get about 15-20g of fat and the rest carbs.