Kellogg's Special Cereal

I am new to weight loss and balance diet. I have started using the fitnesspal app only a week ago.

I usually take Kellogg's Cereal (Chocolate Almond flavor) with milk as my breakfast. Before that when I getup in the morning I also have a habit of taking a cup of tea (with milk) and 2 small biscuits. I noticed today that the score for all this food in the app is 4.5 (should be avoided).

I always thought Cereals is a good option for breakfast. I am a vegetarian and prefer easy to cook food in the morning. Can someone please help what me.

Replies

• Nightcometh
    Nightcometh Posts: 67 Member
    Probably because of the sugar?
  • adamitri
    adamitri Posts: 614 Member
    I am new to weight loss and balance diet. I have started using the fitnesspal app only a week ago.

I usually take Kellogg's Cereal (Chocolate Almond flavor) with milk as my breakfast. Before that when I getup in the morning I also have a habit of taking a cup of tea (with milk) and 2 small biscuits. I noticed today that the score for all this food in the app is 4.5 (should be avoided).

I always thought Cereals is a good option for breakfast. I am a vegetarian and prefer easy to cook food in the morning. Can someone please help what me.

Score for food? Is this the premium app?
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    The score?
  • meenumeenu4
    meenumeenu4 Posts: 6 Member
    I have integrated it with UP 24, there it shows daily food score out of 10.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited May 2015
    My guess would be it's too carb heavy and too low in protein. And maybe too low fat, depending on what type of milk you use. It's not a very balanced meal.

Edited: It's not necessarily a bad breakfast. Every meal does not have to be balanced for your diet to be balanced. I'm just guessing at why your app gave you the low score for the meal. If you like this breakfast and it helps you stay on track, then eat it.
  • Carol_
    Carol_ Posts: 469 Member
    When I eat cereal, even though it is a highly processed food..I remind myself..it's a much better choice than I have made in the past. It takes a little,or for some people..like me..a lot of time..to adjust to new food choices.
  • mildammm
    mildammm Posts: 67 Member
    Cereal has lots of sugar.

Some vegetarian ideas: oatmeal (it has more complex carbs than cereal), eggs, greek yogurt.
  • MikaMojito
    MikaMojito Posts: 680 Member
    Cereals tend to be pretty sugary. They're delicious but depending on how much you can eat, maybe better eat them as a treat.

You could use oatmeal and add some fresh fruit if you want to stick with cereal.

You could also eat eggs or bread.

I tend to eat fruit for breakfast because I like fruit and it leaves more calories for the rest of the day.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Special K is a lousy diet cereal. I hated it as a diabetic because it is so short on fiber. It didn't help moderate my blood sugar at all. Get more protein in your breakfast. It might be peanut butter on toast, or fruit and yogurt.
  • mistikal13
    mistikal13 Posts: 1,457 Member
    I don't really like the taste of most cereals, but I satisfy my craving for something cold and crunchy with homemade granola. Maybe you could try making some and this way you can control the amount of sugar that goes into it. I also eat mine with a handful of nuts which help to keep me full.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    My guess would be it's too carb heavy and too low in protein. And maybe too low fat, depending on what type of milk you use. It's not a very balanced meal.

Edited: It's not necessarily a bad breakfast. Every meal does not have to be balanced for your diet to be balanced. I'm just guessing at why your app gave you the low score for the meal. If you like this breakfast and it helps you stay on track, then eat it.

+1 Too carb heavy, not enough protein. True, every meal does not have to be balanced but if your whole day is something like this, you will want to be adding protein and healthy fats as well.
  • Alex37166
    Alex37166 Posts: 38 Member
    mildammm wrote: »
    oatmeal (it has more complex carbs than cereal).

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Oats or Oatmeal is one of the healthiest foods/grains you can eat. Yes, it is heavy in Carbohydrates, but they digest fast and the Fiber alone is a huge benefit, along with the other many benefits such as Natural Vitamins, Protein, healthy Fats, etc. On top of that, they can be prepared in many ways.

And, if you choose Oats, I'd suggest not to eat the refined sugar ones such as the packets, added syrups, etc. Rolled or Steel Cut Oats are the best options.

I eat Oats daily and some days it's twice. Again, a very healthy choice for breakfast or any meal of the day. Good luck!

• glyphhen
    glyphhen Posts: 16 Member
    While cereal might not be the best breakfast, for the reasons mentioned above, Special K also makes a Special K Protein cereal, which is kinder to your macros. I find it keeps me fuller longer, and the iron content is really helpful.