Should I lose weight first?

Options
2»

Replies

• farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and was wondering the same thing - glad I saw your post OP, this all seems like some solid advice. My main concern was that the muscle gains would affect my weekly weigh-ins and body fat loss would be harder to track. I'd reach my goal weight a lot more slowly I suppose, but it's probably better to monitor your goals in body measurements and how you look/feel than what the scale says. Plus extra muscle = extra calorie burns (not to mention extra sexy) :wink:
    Thanks for all the advice people! I'm a rookie so if anything I've said makes you facepalm please alert me to my novice ways. I like to learn new things, it's why I'm here. :)

lol, I consistently lost weight while lifting, there were no "muscle gains" As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Weght training and nutrition (mainly high protein) will ensure that you lose "fat" and maintain your muscle mass. That way when you do lose the weight, you will have nice little muscles under there. If the scale is not moving, it's not because you are lifting too much or gaining muscle, but because you are eating too much.
  • 89Madeline
    89Madeline Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight first (15 kgs of the 20 in total at my lightest) before I started doing cardio and strengths. I don't think I would have enjoyed jogging heavier (I tried it and failed) because it was so hard on my joints etc. It was demotivating for me. Of course, it's different for everybody but I don't regret waiting with running. However, weight training etc is great to start doing. More muscle burn more cals. You won't see what you're toning, but once the fat burns off you'll see quicker results I think!
  • GoodlifeJ
    GoodlifeJ Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and was wondering the same thing - glad I saw your post OP, this all seems like some solid advice. My main concern was that the muscle gains would affect my weekly weigh-ins and body fat loss would be harder to track. I'd reach my goal weight a lot more slowly I suppose, but it's probably better to monitor your goals in body measurements and how you look/feel than what the scale says. Plus extra muscle = extra calorie burns (not to mention extra sexy) :wink:
    Thanks for all the advice people! I'm a rookie so if anything I've said makes you facepalm please alert me to my novice ways. I like to learn new things, it's why I'm here. :)

lol, I consistently lost weight while lifting, there were no "muscle gains" As long as you are eating at a calorie deficit, you will lose weight. Weght training and nutrition (mainly high protein) will ensure that you lose "fat" and maintain your muscle mass. That way when you do lose the weight, you will have nice little muscles under there. If the scale is not moving, it's not because you are lifting too much or gaining muscle, but because you are eating too much.

I was wondering the same thing about the weigh-ins!! Thanks!! :)