Serious spike in weight TOM

Options
Jmgkamp
Jmgkamp Posts: 278 Member
I've read these boards long enough to have seen these threads pop up, but reading it is so different from experiencing it personally!!

Since March 4 I've lost just shy of 30 pounds. Big difference. I'm really great about weighing everything and logging intake. I've started, over the past month, to incorporate exercise daily - 60 minutes per session.

I hit a new low on Saturday. Win! Then on Sunday I was up .9 lbs, followed by another increase of .6 Monday. And now I'm holding steady. I'm drinking 128 oz. of water each day, but could TOM (ladies) cause this spike?!?! Haven't had it the past two months and I don't like it at all!!

Replies

• girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    If 1.5 lbs is your spike be grateful!! That's not bad at all.

If you haven't deviated in your diet then it is a safe bet to pin it on TOM.
  • Jmgkamp
    Options
    I had just made it into a new lower decade on the scale!!

Thanks- I needed someone to say "um... Hello?!" like I do when I read these posts :)
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have to chuckle at calling 1.5 lbs a spike! Many people see their weight go up but it's more like 4-5 lbs or more.

Around TOM, my weight will go up (so far just 1-2 lbs) and hold steady for 2-3 days at least. Then it'll dip back down a little once my period starts and hold steady again. When all's said and done, my weight may drop again and then it'll be back to ping-ponging around thanks to natural fluctuations.

As mentioned above, if nothing has changed & you're sure of your logging, probably an increase due to TOM.

~Lyssa
  • Shanairah1991
    Shanairah1991 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    It depends on the person but once I stepped on the scale just before TOM then got TOM the next day so i decided to see if there was any fluctuation and I was up 6 pounds from the previous day. Never again! I don't weigh that week, lol.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Yes. It's normal. I'm about 130 now and I won't be surprised to see 135 on the scale during that time.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    5-7 lbs every month. Sucks, but it's always gone in a few days.

Thank goodness for yoga pants :p
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I usually have a sudden overnight 1 day spike of 3-5 lbs during my TOM. Usually it's day 3 (currently my TOM only lasts 4 days...Mirena has been shortening it slowly...used to be 7 days and I retained water days 3-6).
  • Jmgkamp
    Options
    Thanks girls! Because I'm seriously working my (ample) *kitten* off and the last thing I want to see after my hard work is a scale creep. Beat it pounds... and take some of your buddies with you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    1.5Lb spike after a very fast 30Lb loss? You got off super easy.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Don't go on a strenuous hike, you'll probably see 5 pounds if you do!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Jmgkamp wrote: »
    I've read these boards long enough to have seen these threads pop up, but reading it is so different from experiencing it personally!!

Since March 4 I've lost just shy of 30 pounds. Big difference. I'm really great about weighing everything and logging intake. I've started, over the past month, to incorporate exercise daily - 60 minutes per session.

I hit a new low on Saturday. Win! Then on Sunday I was up .9 lbs, followed by another increase of .6 Monday. And now I'm holding steady. I'm drinking 128 oz. of water each day, but could TOM (ladies) cause this spike?!?! Haven't had it the past two months and I don't like it at all!!

That's nothing. It'll disappear.

Congrats on your weight loss too!
  • Jmgkamp
    Options
    Thanks! I'm enjoying the ride. It's work, but boy is the payoff worth all the trouble.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. You should be rejoicing. I hold onto 3 or 4 pounds of water retention each month, and it likes to stick around for a solid two weeks before suddenly dropping off again. It slows things down, sure. But it is 100% natural and normal.

Let yourself relax and just accept the fact that this is normal. And get used to seeing it on the scale so it won't concern you each time.
  • Jmgkamp
    Options
    It is a learning process for sure! I'm just going to keep on keeping on. I know what I'm doing is right - I love this community. It's what I read every night before bed. My poor husband...