Better to Go by Ounces or Grams

Options
I just measured out a serving of soup.
The label says a serving is 1 cup (so 8oz) with 250g written inside parentheses next to it. Using my scale I measured out 8oz and then out of curiosity changed the measurement on the scale to grams and it only shows 225 g.
Responses?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    250 g is a weight. 8 fluid ounces is measuring volume.
  • DoreenaV1975
    DoreenaV1975 Posts: 567 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Okay....I get that what I'm asking is which is better to go by? I only ask because both are listed on the label as a serving size.
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    If it was a soup with stuff in it, maybe you needed to add a couple more noodles? I just read an article about the info on alot of store bought things. It's kind of general. Calories can change up to 20% less or more on frozen foods. Alot of store bought soups, I add more broth (count the spoonful of broth paste) add some wild rice, more veggies and "beef" it up. I do this with the whole can...then log it in the recipe section and put it to 4 servings, putting the rest in the freezer.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I usually go by grams when that's an option, but I suppose you could also weigh the whole contents of the package, and determine what % of the soup you ate, then apply the % to the nutritional info?

Part of the confusion is that a cup is actually 237ml (and 237 g if we are talking about water), and often they use 250ml interchangeably with a cup. Which makes no sense because for recipes 240 is both more accurate and easily divisible into 8ths and 16ths (which is so much more common in recipes that are written in cups)
  • jemhh
    Options
    Okay....I get that what I'm asking is which is better to go by? I only ask because both are listed on the label as a serving size.

I would go by the more conservative choice, the ounces, this time. Only because soup is hard to measure. Normally I'd go by weight.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Thank you Annr and MakePeasNotWar.
    I just left it with 8oz even though it was only 225g. This way I don't go over either way.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Thank you Jemhh...that's what I wound up doing.
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    I just started using my new scale that measures both so I'm trying to learn.
  • star1407
    star1407 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Well done for using a scale and being accurate. I've been a bit lazy the last few days with measuring so you've inspired me to give myself a kick up the butt :D
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Your scale doesn't measure fluid ounces, for the same reason it doesn't measure gallons. :)

Next time you have soup, measure out your 8 fluid ounces / 1 cup in a measuring cup, then weigh the result. Measuring out 8 ounces of weight then switching to grams gives you the same result you'd get by multiplying 8 by 28 (within rounding error), because that's all you've asked the scale to do.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I just got a nrw scale too. I have yet to use it bc I really don't know how to log everything? Or what the measure in grams should be?
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I go by grams since it's not the 1940s

Also grams seem easier to measure.

How many oz are 47g. Would it be 1.66 oz or 1 2/3 oz?
  • jemhh
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Ignore
  • jemhh
    Options
    You can measure weight in grams or ounces. Just remember that fluid ounces are not the same as the ounces used as weight. I feel like soup is in a weird hinterland between liquid and solid so I pick the more conservative measurement. Otherwise, I weigh liquids with a liquid measuring cup in ounces and solids with a digital scale in ounces or grams.
    This is interesting. I just got a nrw scale too. I have yet to use it bc I really don't know how to log everything? Or what the measure in grams should be?

• DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    You can measure weight in grams or ounces. Just remember that fluid ounces are not the same as the ounces used as weight. I feel like soup is in a weird hinterland between liquid and solid so I pick the more conservative measurement. Otherwise, I weigh liquids with a liquid measuring cup in ounces and solids with a digital scale in ounces or grams.

Makes sense....TY.
  • DoreenaV1975
    edited May 2015
    Options
    star1407 wrote: »
    Well done for using a scale and being accurate. I've been a bit lazy the last few days with measuring so you've inspired me to give myself a kick up the butt :D

Thanks! I'm really trying! Glad I could inspire you! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    Personally I measure in grams because all cans, bags, etc. etc. give their measurements grams, and my scale uses grams. It would be tough to find anything measured in ounces anymore.
  • spldtater
    spldtater Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just bought a scale and found I have been eating less than I thought. Like 1/2 or 1/4 of what I had been putting into MFP. My weight has bounced around from 143-147 but MFP has said continually that I should be losing. Is this because I was not eating enough for an extended period of time (for about a year)? And what will my weight do now that I am eating what I have been entering in?
  • DoreenaV1975
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Personally I measure in grams because all cans, bags, etc. etc. give their measurements grams, and my scale uses grams. It would be tough to find anything measured in ounces anymore.

You're correct! All the serving sizes of items I scan are listed in cups/grams... But I've never used grams as a way of measuring that I automatically just convert the cups to ounces.
    Just something I'm going to have to get used to.
    My scale does both ounces and grams.