sick,fat&nearly dead. does juicing diet work?

Options
It all looks good, anyone have any good results doing this?

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    not a good idea.

Does it sound like a sustainable long term plan to you?
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    not a good idea.

Does it sound like a sustainable long term plan to you?

Juicing can easily be a sustainable part of her way of eating and lifestyle. I incorporate juicing every day and is something I will do for the remainder of my life.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Juicing is terrible. It's increases your risk of different metabolic disorders from the excess fructose, it removes the healthy part of fruit (fiber) and leaves you with a cup full of sugar water, it doesn't provide enough fats or protein for you body to function properly, and you'll lose muscle and possibly damage your organs.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    If the juicing diet only allows you to consume juice and nothing else, then it is no good. But if you can have a well balanced diet that also involves juicing then it might just work.
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did a 2-day juice fast and I really liked it. I was very skeptical about it, but was surprised at how full I felt and how much energy I had - especially without caffeine! The Fat sick and nearly dead website (www.rebootwithjoe.com) has a lot of information on it including sample fasts and loads of recipes for juice.

They recommend lots of veggie juices and their programmes are 1200-1400 calories a day (or more, my boyfriend has a few more juices than me).

I lost about 5 lbs in two days, but it was not lasting. Overall, for the whole week I lost 1.5 lbs, which was higher that usual for me! Probably helped that I was also sitting at home drinking juice all weekend and not out getting burgers and booze! :)

It was a fun experiment and I've incorporated green juices here and there in my diet now. It inspired us to eat clean and healthy.
  • Melampus
    Melampus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    It is better to eat the whole fruit rather than drink the juice. That way you'd also get fibre and more of the other nutrients from the fruit and you'd almost certainly feel fuller at a lower level of calories than drinking the juice.

Also, if this diet consists of only drinking juice then I'd not recommend it. Where is the protein? If you currently eat too much fat then by all means eat less but you need some. You also need vitamins and minerals.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Juicing is terrible. It's increases your risk of different metabolic disorders from the excess fructose, it removes the healthy part of fruit (fiber) and leaves you with a cup full of sugar water, it doesn't provide enough fats or protein for you body to function properly, and you'll lose muscle and possibly damage your organs.

took the words right out of my mouth
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I tried a version of this where I ate food (veggies and fruits) and drank juice. I didn't feel hungry and the juice and food was very tasty. However, I wasn't trying it for weight loss - I did it because I have chronic hives just like Joe did in the movie. I've had them now since July 2003. I figured, hey, why not give it a shot?

It didn't help my hives at all (and now I've found a medication that is working wonders without having to take any steroids), but it wasn't a horrible way to eat. I could not have sustained it long term.
  • 2013sk
    2013sk Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Eat healthy and cut back a bit
    Move more
    Drink lots of water???
  • londajane
    londajane Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan to me 2013sk :)
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options

took the words right out of my mouth

Wow. I had no idea fruits and vegetables were just sugar, water, and fiber. Might as well take some Metamucil and drink a soda...

... come on. There's more to nutrition than that.
  • tufchic
    tufchic Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Juicing diet will have you drop weight. However its not sustainable or realistic. Incorporating a veggie/fruit juice such as celery/carrot/apple is a great way to supplement your diet. My mom did a ton of juicing growing up and at one point we ate so healthy I didn't go to a doctor for illness for 4 years. Juicing is a great way to get some extra veggies in if you struggle with getting your nutrients. If your topic is true please go see your doctor and start a real diet plan that MIGHT include replacing one meal with a healthy veggie/fruit juice. I wish you luck.
  • CCalhounNelms
    Options
    When you find out the answer ,let me know...
  • Sarahndipity30
    Sarahndipity30 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Juicing for healthy nutrients and suplementing into your diet HELL YES..juicing for extreme weight loss?. No. Not permanently. I have done 2 juicing fasts. losing a combined total of almost 40 lbs. i gained every bit of it back the minute i started eating solids again. And that includes eating healthy.

Juicing has amazing benefits, but shouldn't be your only form of food. incorporate into your healthy meals, supllment for a breakfast or lunch. it did amazing things to my skin, mental claritity, sleep etc. I still try to do a few juices a week.

best of luck,
  • Brenda_Pancakes
    Brenda_Pancakes Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Agreed. I tried juicing, but unlike Joe - I didn't feel that it filled me up at all. I can't even skip a meal and replace it with juice - I'm starving by the time I get around to my next meal or snack.

It is, however - (like others have said) a good way of getting some extra nutrients into someone's diet. I'll juice a fair amount of vegetables for my husband who is diabetic (watching the fruit, of course), and it seems to help him out - as he isn't much of a vege eater. It's a way to get some really good nutrients into someone who doesn't consume much in the way of veges.

Joe is awesome, though. I wish I could have sustained the "juice lifestyle" for at least a week or two. But I couldn't. I turn into Betty White and need a snickers.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    IXUO5zJ.gif
  • FDelauter425
    Options
    I honestly believe it is a great way to reboot your life. It's a great way to cleanse your system, get rid of junk that is building up in there, and replenish your cells with the nutrients it needs. This is not something you want to do for the rest of your life but doing a 5 day, 10 day, or even 30 day cleanse will be very good for your body. There's a lot of people who think you need to have real food in order to be healthy, but honestly, if you are using various forms of vegetables and fruits to create your juices there is nothing wrong. There is nothing wrong with it because you are getting only the vitamins and nutrients you need. It's just to kick start your body into getting healthy again. I couldnt think of a better way to detox and give yourself a fresh start.

I did it for about 5 days and I saw some great results. I felt better, of course around day 3 and 4 I was moody and hungry, but thats normal. I felt lighter and I had more energy. I stopped after 5 days because my husband and I bought ingredients for the green juice mainly, and some other ingredients for other side juices.....I hated the green juice!! If I do this again, which I plan to, I will find another green juice to make and add many more juice recipes to our grocery list. It just an awesome way to flush and replenish your body and you will feel awesome afterwards!!!!! Fat Sick and Nearly Dead is such proof, why question it? Good luck!
  • CCalhounNelms
    Options
    good info:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    IN for all the mental clarity, laser focus, boundless energy, clean colon, new lease on life, system reboot, stuff.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I honestly believe it is a great way to reboot your life. It's a great way to cleanse your system, get rid of junk that is building up in there, and replenish your cells with the nutrients it needs. This is not something you want to do for the rest of your life but doing a 5 day, 10 day, or even 30 day cleanse will be very good for your body. There's a lot of people who think you need to have real food in order to be healthy, but honestly, if you are using various forms of vegetables and fruits to create your juices there is nothing wrong. There is nothing wrong with it because you are getting only the vitamins and nutrients you need. It's just to kick start your body into getting healthy again. I couldnt think of a better way to detox and give yourself a fresh start.

The problem is none of this actually happens. Here's a thought, consume lots of nutrient dense foods with a good balance of protein, fat and carbs.....and you won't even have to stop after 5, 10 or even 30 days......sounds like alchemy I know, but what do you have to lose. :flowerforyou: