Hair loss has been happening for a year now.. what could this be?

Options
2»

Replies

• gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I would check environmental factors. Unless you guys eat identical foods, I highly doubt it has a lot to do with diet/nutrients.
  • mamasitaroja
    mamasitaroja Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You need to see a doctor, and you need to look around and see if there are any environmental factors that might be worrisome- for example, do you live under power lines, near radioactive materials, or in a location where dumping of toxic/hazardous chemicals might be present? Also, some older homes contain materials that become toxic as they break down. Try in general to minimize your environmental exposures as you improve your intake of protein, zinc, and vitamins. Sleep and stress reduction may help, too.
    But checkup, ASAP! Good luck!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    My friend had stress-related alopecia that caused her hair to fall out. Of course the answer is: doctor.
  • lefisch53
    lefisch53 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Have also experienced hair loss during diet and maintenance of weight loss. After trying a bunch of shampoos and conditioners which did not work, I saw a youtube post about adding mix of herbs - cilantro, parsley to daily spinach/spring mix salads plus roasted pumpkin seeds. There were some other things in the post but this is what I've been taking for lunch every day for three months, I have a lot of new hair growth now - could be completely unrelated but I'm very relieved to have my hair growing back. Hubby also noticed hair growth with snacking on pumpkin seeds. Watch out for the so called "organic" seeds sold in many stores. I order mine online from Living Tree - all grown in US. Good luck!
  • Amerielle
    Amerielle Posts: 153 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Mold comes to mind right away since it is both of you. Did it start after you moved to a new place? This isn't something to mess around with.

Edit: I see this was first posted over a month ago...I hope you have been to the Dr and gotten some answers.
  • JanolaBarbara
    JanolaBarbara Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was losing a lot of hair, but after I stopped eating gluten, slowly (6 mos), my hair loss has stopped and is now more normal.
    Yes, let us know how you are doing. What did the dr say?
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    Dammit. Zombie nation.
  • scalebeater
    scalebeater Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Dermatologist not general doctor, get your thyroid and iron/ferritin levels checked. Take Biotin supplements and iron if you need it. Iron was my problem in a similar problem. Good luck!
  • PuddinPiePrincess
    PuddinPiePrincess Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Could be a wide variety of factors... Iron levels, thyroid issues, hormonal birth control, not getting adequate vitamin and minerals, could also be due to a fungal infection on your scalp... Head and shoulders or Selsen Blue should fix that. But like others have suggested, the only way to get to the bottom of it is to visit your doctor. Best of luck to you.
  • rachelbouc
    rachelbouc Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Are your nails brittle too? I had this same problem and it was vitamin d. Dairy started to react bad with me so cut it out. I went to the doctor and did a blood test for thyroid and vitamin d. Thyroid was a little low and vitamin d was low.