Attn: Sports Fans

Options
2»

Replies

• kevinjb1
    kevinjb1 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I grew up playing every sport I could and learned a lot from the competition and team work involved. Men (and lots of women) are competative by nature, but there aren't a lot of avenues for competition in everyday life. Watching Sports is one way to fill that void because when you are a true fan of a team you feel like you are competing along with them in a way and you celebrate the wins and feel the sting of the losses also.
    There is always a sense of belonging when you are surrounded by other fans either at the game or at your local watering hole all cheering for the same team.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it's unscripted. any thing can happen.
  • michellechawner
    Options
    I love hockey - i watch it constantly, have the app on my phone so I can watch, follow the draft religiously...

I hate Basketball, and the only reason I can think of why is the squeak the shoes make of the wood floor. It's like nails on a chalkboard for me.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    Can anyone articulate for me, in a way we've not heard, why professional sports are soooo fascinating? Love to hear from men and women, lovers and haters of any and all sports. What draws you in or repels you about this fixture in our human experience?
    Live sport is one thing. There's the crowd, the drinks, the fun outing. But why does one follow teams and tournaments obsessively? Genuine question....

im sure its genuine and no i am not going to help you on your doctorate studying the Tribal Rites of the Sports Fanatic.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    It's hard to answer "why do you like a thing?" that I've loved for decades now. I have a preference for college sports due to a loyalty to my school, but pro sports are great because it's the same game, just played at a higher level.

Two side benefits I can think of, pro sports can bring a community closer together. Here in the US that varies greatly by city. I live in Boston now where pro sports are a common bond shared by most everybody, it's really unique here in that regard. I've lived in other cities with pro sports that created that bond on a much much lower scale.

Another benefit I find is that it gives me a conversational ace in the hole. When meeting someone(s) for the first time, sports is an innocuous topic that has a good chance of connecting. When I've lived overseas I made an effort to learn cricket and football just for this reason, even though I'm not a fan of either.

Oh and since this is a sports thread, let me add - suck it Chicago. GO BRUINS!
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    In New England you grow up watching and playing sports. It's in our blood haha

It is in our blood!!!! Go B's!!! (Pats too, but more importantly, tonight for the B's)
  • BuRRnZZ1
    BuRRnZZ1 Posts: 78
    Options
    I love each and every sport. Except baseball until they are about 125 games into the season. Then its fun...
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    whenever i meet a guy and he says he's never enjoyed sports my first thought is "what is wrong with you?".