What is the minimum amount of exercise I can get away with?

Options
CM_73
CM_73 Posts: 554 Member
Let me make this clear right from the off, although I am lazy, that's not the reason for the question!
My #1 focus is weight loss, which I'm working on by logging and weighing everything that I eat. I also do at least an Hour's vigorous cardio every day, mainly on the bike.

But, to try and minimise muscle loss, I also do some upper body work Three times/week. It's very basic at the moment, just press-ups and bicep curls although I'm going to start adding some lifting following advice from elsewhere.

Over the last few Years I've done the gym thing and it's always the same. Absolutely smash it for 3 Months, then start going less and less, then eventually stop. Whereas, with my little home routine, I've more or less stuck to for the last few Years. (I do lapse for a week or so occasionally)

So, my question is, is three times a week, and over about half an Hour, enough to make a difference/worthwhile?

Replies

• tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I'm a little confused, are you doing the half an hour in addition to you bike?

I think muscle lose will happen regardless, when losing weight. That being said, even if you don't do the upper body work, I don't think you'll see a major strength loss.

I bike too btw, I doubt that I'll ever lose muscle in my legs.
  • CM_73
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    I'm a little confused, are you doing the half an hour in addition to you bike?

I think muscle lose will happen regardless, when losing weight. That being said, even if you don't do the upper body work, I don't think you'll see a major strength loss.

I bike too btw, I doubt that I'll ever lose muscle in my legs.

Apologies, yes, that's in addition, I won't ever stop the cycling.
    My legs are huge to be honest! it comes from them having to carry my fat carcass around on the bike. They certainly aren't shrinking, they've actually grown a bit since I started the full time commute to work.
    I was really just wondering if it's worth keep doing the strength workout while I'm losing weight, mainly to minimise any muscle loss and to help out a bit with calorie burn.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you do it properly and don't half heart the workouts, 3x week for a half hour or so is enough to make it worth while.
  • CM_73
    Options
    rybo wrote: »
    Yes. If you do it properly and don't half heart the workouts, 3x week for a half hour or so is enough to make it worth while.

Excellent, thank you.

• tdatsenko
    tdatsenko Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    If you're doing an hour on your bike every day I don't think that the home routine will hurt your weight loss goals. It's definitely better than doing nothing for muscle retention, though as you lose weight, your push-ups are going to be less effective. :tired_face:

That being said, don't give yourself any extra calories for the strength training.

My only other advice would be to try and hit your back muscles with a dumbell row or something since I didn't see it mentioned. My priorities in lifting have always been:
      1.Legs 2.Back 3.Shoulders 4.Chest
  • CM_73
    Options
    tdatsenko wrote: »
    If you're doing an hour on your bike every day I don't think that the home routine will hurt your weight loss goals. It's definitely better than doing nothing for muscle retention, though as you lose weight, your push-ups are going to be less effective. :tired_face:

That being said, don't give yourself any extra calories for the strength training.

My only other advice would be to try and hit your back muscles with a dumbell row or something since I didn't see it mentioned. My priorities in lifting have always been:
      1.Legs 2.Back 3.Shoulders 4.Chest

Great, thanks for that. I don't do anything on my core, I do have all sorts of plans involving calisthenics for the future, but that's a fair way off for me at the moment.
    I did wonder if press-ups will become less effective, but I will start upping the frequency as and when that happens.