Egg Whites?

Options
Just looked at a meal plan thing I might like to do.

As a protein source it suggests 1 cup of egg whites as a serving.

How many eggs is that?

And what is wrong with the yolk? Seems a waste to just get rid of it...

Replies

• 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    You can buy cartons of egg whites rather than throwing out the egg yolks yourself. Personally, I love eggs, whole eggs. haha.

The whites have more protein than the yolk, which is likely why it's suggesting it, and the yolks are also higher in dietary cholesterol (which has been proven not to have a significant impact on our cholesterol levels) and calories than the whites.

Personally, I'd rather eat what I want so long as it hits my calorie and macro goals than follow a plan set up by someone else which wouldn't have the foods I love.

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Depends on the size of your egg. There's a guide here: http://whatscookingamerica.net/Eggs/EggEquivalent.htm but you'd be better off weighing instead.

And nothing wrong with yolks, but the whites are a protein source, yolks are a fat source (and when combined they make a great meal :) )

• kissa714
    kissa714 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Just eat the whole thing.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at hitting protein and was looking for a guide, liked it as it gives portion sizes for actual food, to me 3oz chicken is easier to understand than "you need x gm of protein".

Seemed to be a tad frowny on fruit...sugar i guess...

That's 8 to 12 eggs!!!!!!! Bloody hell!!!

I haven't seen cartons of egg whites before, where would they live in the supermarket? Or am I once again deprived of something cuz I live in the UK? :neutral:

Think i may just substitute for a couple of whole eggs add some bacon and see where I hit!! Treat it like the speed limit...its really only a guideline... :smiley:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I'm not very good at hitting protein and was looking for a guide, liked it as it gives portion sizes for actual food, to me 3oz chicken is easier to understand than "you need x gm of protein".

I haven't seen cartons of egg whites before, where would they live in the supermarket? Or am I once again deprived of something cuz I live in the UK? :neutral:

Think i may just substitute for a couple of whole eggs add some bacon and see where I hit!! Treat it like the speed limit...its really only a guideline... :smiley:

Google says they exist, but brands are limited. I found these ones

I'd just go the whole egg route haha. I do buy liquid egg white from time to time if I know I'll be making a lot of omelettes, but I still include at least one full egg.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options

They would likely be in the fridge section....

Swapping it for whole eggs and bacon would be ok if you wanted to swap protein for fat.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

You can get them in some of the larger supermarkets - check out Two Chicks brand - they are in large Sainsburys, Tesco and Waitrose stores (their website has an online store checker too).

You can also buy them pasteurised (i.e. longer shelf life) in bulk from online supplement stores, e.g. Bulk Powders.

ETA: You can usually find them amongst the 'obscure' cooking fats in the butter aisle.
  • bunnywestley81
    bunnywestley81 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the help!

I'll have a nose in tesco later, if not I'll just use the whole ones! Not 12 whole ones though...2 or 3 is enough for me, 4 at a push if totally ravenous and about to chew off my own leg!
    B)
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I eat at least a dozen eggs every week great source of protein.
  • harpsdesire
    harpsdesire Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I used to eat the whites but I switched to whole eggs, as I stayed full much longer with the added fat, and the yolks have lots of nutrients as well. It is more calories per the amount of protein but it still fits my goals.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    the only thing wrong with the yolk (that really matters) is fat calories. Sometimes it's wanted, sometimes not.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Yeah, i would rather eat egg whites as the calorie to protein ratio in an entire egg is not very good. For 25 calories i expect about 5 grams of protein whether from meat, cheese or egg whites. Lean turkey breast/chicken breast, non-fat cheese, egg whites can achive this.
  • jddnw
    jddnw Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I always eat the whole egg. The yoke is full of awesome micronutrients and I don't feel good about throwing food away.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    There is no disputing that the yoke may taste good, and have a lot of nutrients......but on a calorie restricted diet the egg whites are a good way to help achieve protein goals and keep the caloric goals in check.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    jddnw wrote: »
    I always eat the whole egg. The yoke is full of awesome micronutrients and I don't feel good about throwing food away.

This is how I feel. On the whole if I want really lean protein I'd rather just eat leaner fish or chicken/turkey breast or low fat/skim dairy. Tossing the yolk makes me sad.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I would never throw out the yolk. I think this whites only thing is just a silly fad.
  • kmsoucy457
    kmsoucy457 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Split the difference!
    *crickets*
    I'll typically do one whole egg to one white, just to up the protein without extra calories (fits into my caloric allotment better) while still getting the flavor and nutritional benefits of the yolk. I cook the castoff yolk separately and use it as dog treats :) They love it, the fats/vitamin E are good for their coats, and I don't end up wasting anything.
  • doktorglass
    doktorglass Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I lift, so protein and fat is very important to me. I have this protein waffle recipe at ~300kcal for 2 thick waffles. The macro is 24C/9F/33P. I have 1 whole egg, and 2 egg whites (100ml) in it. Now, if I would have 3 whole eggs instead, the calories count is 454kcal with 24C/20F/39P. The difference between only egg whites waffles and at least one whole egg is a much better waffle. For me, this is a good trade off.
  • Curtez
    Curtez Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    You read one article that says an egg is bad for you and then you read another that says the egg is good for you seems kind of silly to waste the yolk
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I usually combine one egg and two eggs worth of egg whites for breakfast most mornings. Seems like a good compromise. Tastes great, has some fat and a lot of protein. I buy the egg whites in the carton, they are usually right there with the eggs in the refrigerated section.