From sedentary to active

Options
I have been at MFP for a little over a year. I work in an office and sit just about all day. I do get up regular for taking some small walks, nothing significant. I post about where I stand right now anf that I was going to raise my activity. Fitness instructor say to leave it at sedintary. I was not exercising at that time, last year. I did good for the first 5 months and lost 30 lbs. Now my weight has gone up with a 3-5lb fluctuation. Have to say here I do not eat as radical as I did then. Never finished a day at 1200 or over.

I have been holding in the same status for maybe 2 months. I eat much closer to my daily numbers. I started zumba 3 weeks ago. I noticed the increase since. I sweat my butt off and since I am new to this I do have more aches and it every morning. I am catching onto the routine since it does get changed up frequently. Most of the class are old timers. 3-5 year students. Some say their weight goes up and down too.

Now is it true you need to tone before starting to lose again? I started at 180 the most I have ever weighed. My activity has increased tremendously. I try to also get in a walk whenever there is time. Is it true that my fat is turning to muscle and muscle weighs more than fat? Will I eventually reach a point where staying within my daily intake and still working out will produce more results in weight loss?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Strength training or "toning" helps with fat loss because it helps us retain our muscle. That means less to lose in the long run and easier to maintain our weight in the end. Fat does not turn into muscle. You may need to eat more than 1200 calories because constantly eating a low number of calories causes some metabolic adaptations and hormone changes.

As far as your activity level goes, you don't have a strenuous job and your exercise isn't several hours per day every day. That means you are not at the active level yet. Moderate means you have a job that keeps you active and you exercise for about an hour 5 days per week. Lightly active is if you have a desk job, but you exercise 3-5 hours per week.